The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

He was also good enough last september. But that's not the problem.

I could care less about what a Winnipeg fan thinks of Virtanen and look forward to when Ehlers is ragdolled by him on a conistent basis.

Edited by BanTSN
  • Upvote 1

He was also good enough last september. But that's not the problem.

Right, the problem was that the Jets did not have enough roster spots available to include him, just like Petan and Morrissey. The understanding is that Petan will slot in on the third line, being protected by Adam Lowry, and Ehlers will start out on the second line. Frolik and Tlusty aren't returning, so that leaves open spots on the wing. As for Morrissey, he's likely to have one year with the Moose. Unless they sort out the Byfuglien scenario prior to the start of the season, then he'll start the season with the Jets.

Edited by Monty

Ehlers should have been able to bust into that lineup bud. He was even called up in the playoffs to watch while even Bennett cracked a lineup. So what's the problem?

God damn I am glad we passed on that whining and diving showboat. Go Jake Go!

• Upvote 1

Ehlers should have been able to bust into that lineup bud. He was even called up in the playoffs to watch while even Bennett cracked a lineup. So what's the problem?

God damn I am glad we passed on that whining and diving showboat. Go Jake Go!

Why are you getting so worked up? Take it down a notch.

And to answer your question, Ehlers was never meant to play in the playoffs. The specific reason he was called into the building was to be around the guys and in the building during a playoff environment. That's all it was. Nothing more.

• Upvote 2

Seriously though, Ehlers is sickly fast and skilled. Not the player the Canucks needed or wanted, but he's good for the Jets while they still have those other big guys in the lineup. I'm totally happy with Virtanen and look forward to seeing his well-rounded game translate into all-star power foward status in a few years.

• Upvote 1

Ehlers

Beartschi

Shinkaruk

Mcann

- not exactly big guys- infact guys that would get pushed around.

But with virtanen - if we can pick up Kane or Lucic or Ladd then...

Baertschi Horvat Ladd

Kane Bonino virtanen

Shinkaruk McCann Kassian

Gaunce Cassels Grenier

Drooool

I don't disagree that Virtanen is the best fit for Vancouver out of him or Ehlers, but you have to give the Danish kid some credit.

Ehlers had the best point per game of any player in the regular season in the Q, and lead the league's playoff scoring despite playing about a series less than most other scoring leaders. The kid is special and he's going to be a first line player on most NHL teams, but the Canucks obviously wanted someone who may not produce as much offence, but can play with grit, and that's Virtanen.

As you can see though, Benning making a trade for Baertschi was one to address this team's lack of skill up front, especially on wing. He knows that we don't have that top-end talent at forward, with a bunch of good two-way forwards, and getting Baertschi fixed that. Alternatively we could have drafted Ehlers (or Nylander for that matter) and traded the 2nd round pick for a tougher forward around the league somewhere. There's no wrong answer to building a team, Benning just decided to draft tough and trade for skill. Probably the right call considering that it's far easier trading for a purely skilled guy than prying a team's tough potential top-6 forward off their hands.

• Upvote 1

I am also not concerned with the forwards or the goaltending. But if we don't do something big to address the defense, be it with high picks, low picks, whatever, then we're going to blow it with the prospect group we've assembled thus far. If we pick up a project defenseman and let him take years and years to finally make the NHL, then winning likely isn't in the cards. But if we select a franchise-level defenseman instead and have him make an immediate impact, NOW we're talking.

I think Jim and Trev know this, and that's why they were pushing for Ekblad, not Reinhart, when they were in talks with Florida.

Should be an interesting summer.

I hate the fact they do not talk about defence at all. No noise whatsoever...

Aside from mentioning they had their asses against the wall with Sbisa negotiations! :rolleyes:

I don't disagree that Virtanen is the best fit for Vancouver out of him or Ehlers, but you have to give the Danish kid some credit.

Ehlers had the best point per game of any player in the regular season in the Q, and lead the league's playoff scoring despite playing about a series less than most other scoring leaders. The kid is special and he's going to be a first line player on most NHL teams, but the Canucks obviously wanted someone who may not produce as much offence, but can play with grit, and that's Virtanen.

As you can see though, Benning making a trade for Baertschi was one to address this team's lack of skill up front, especially on wing. He knows that we don't have that top-end talent at forward, with a bunch of good two-way forwards, and getting Baertschi fixed that. Alternatively we could have drafted Ehlers (or Nylander for that matter) and traded the 2nd round pick for a tougher forward around the league somewhere. There's no wrong answer to building a team, Benning just decided to draft tough and trade for skill. Probably the right call considering that it's far easier trading for a purely skilled guy than prying a team's tough potential top-6 forward off their hands.

People around here and HF have been doing nothing but jump up and down about Ehlers and Nylander since day one of pumping them up for the 2014 draft. I'm looking forward to some calm with that aspect of a season-long review for sure, because holy crap, they're not Gretzky and Lemieux, and I would hardly assemble a team around them.

Good to see Virtanen is making an impact at the pro level already. If he's bullying AHLers like he bullied everyone in the WHL, then I'm welcoming him on the Canucks with open arms. Tired of cheering on a team with no pushback or physical initiative at all. However, he's just one element.

I'm wondering if he'll eventually see Sedin time. That would certainly boost his all-important offensive ceiling, wouldn't it?

I hate the fact they do not talk about defence at all. No noise whatsoever...

Aside from mentioning they had their asses against the wall with Sbisa negotiations!

I think Trev brought it up in the preseason pow-wow. But what about Bartkowskiiiiiii...

.... ?

Edited by TOMapleLaughs
  • Upvote 1

Anyway, glad Virtanen has been picking it up as of late. Never been a fan of his nor what appeared at the time to be Benning selecting Virtanen in large part because he's a local kid. Those were the optics of it anyway. But happy he's been playing better.

This ^ seems a little intellectually dishonest (particularly from you Monty) considering this:

And that's precisely it. The Canucks need bigger bodies right now and the future. Some players are better suited to specific lineups. We've seen this time and time again. A guy plays really well on one team and system. He then gets traded and loses it because he's not in a position to succeed.

Ehlers, while he would have done well in Vancouver, would have entered a team that doesn't throw their weight around currently and gets outhit constantly. If both of them hit their projected ceilings, Ehlers will get more points, but Virtanen will be able to play a more physical game; something the Canucks will desperately need.

The Jets don't have a guy like Ehlers in their lineup right now. Ladd, Wheeler, Lowry, Trouba, Buff (if kept), Stafford (Jets trying to re-sign him), even Scheifele this year, and Thorburn all throw their bodies around and play hard. Perfect for Ehlers to succeed. But had the Canucks chosen him, he would have found it very difficult to succeed and be protected.

Both Vancouver and the Jets got the players they needed.

Your second post is far more on the point IMO. Both will be good players with different skill sets but fit their teams needs. Neither are likely to be dominant all-star top 6 forwards but more likely to be good, complimentary top 6 players who fit team needs.

That Virt was a local boy was just a cherry on top IMO. He was the best player available, for the Canucks, at that spot.

Edited by J.R.

So we're back to not worrying about his PPG in the WHL and on the verge of proclaiming him a bust, and instead proclaiming him as the next top 6 star for the team?

Just wondering because I haven't checked my calendar of bi polar fan bases on prospect watch this week

So we're back to not worrying about his PPG in the WHL and on the verge of proclaiming him a bust, and instead proclaiming him as the next top 6 star for the team?

Just wondering because I haven't checked my calendar of bi polar fan bases on prospect watch this week

He's the next Ryan Getzlaf :P

I've always maintained that his game is better suited for a pro game. Some people were ripping my head off because of that statement, but who's laughing now.....

Edited by Gstank29