The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Do you think Perry, Getz, Kesler, Lucic, are worried about the great Virtanen and his reverse hit? Watch guys like Dustin Brown and his ilk go after him with knee or head shots.

Probably not but it's coming

Do you think Perry, Getz, Kesler, Lucic, are worried about the great Virtanen and his reverse hit? Watch guys like Dustin Brown and his ilk go after him with knee or head shots.

All those players will be out of the NHL by the time this team is ready to compete for a cup again, so why is this a concern now? It isn't.

All those players will be out of the NHL by the time this team is ready to compete for a cup again, so why is this a concern now? It isn't.

You never know..Virtanen might be gone as well or traded or have a career ending injury. The future is hard to predict.

You never know..Virtanen might be gone as well or traded or have a career ending injury. The future is hard to predict.

There's nothing in here that discounts my original statement about where the team and those players will be in the future. The only thing that changes it is if Virtanen succeeds and becomes an impact player right away.

I'll just leave this here:

Great, but I'd expect more from a guy who went 6th overall.

Highlight videos will make any plays look good but the fact is that JV has under performed considering his draft position.

He will not make the Canucks this season. Believing he will is merely wishful thinking. Dude has to get himself together at Calgary before he starts to think of putting up points consistently in the AHL, let alone the NHL.

• Upvote 2

"I'd expect more from a 6th overall."

This never made any sense to me. But maybe it's just indicating the quality of the draft.

Reinhart was 2nd overall. I expected him to stick in the NHL last season.

Draisaitl was 3rd overall. He couldn't even stick in Edmonton's lineup.

Sam Bennett did nothing until the playoffs. Typical well-rested flash. He plays all season and he plainly doesn't have the same impact in the playoffs.

And Dal Colle? People aren't too happy with him either.

So what exactly should we have expected from a 6th overall in the 2014 draft? Compared to all these players above him, he's doing quite well.

That being said, a lot of people look at stats and nothing else.

• Upvote 2

Was just thinking to myself today and thought of Scott Hartnell as the kind of career Jake Virtanen might have. Start off putting 30-40 per season then go up to 50-60 and back down then up, then over and over again.

What I want to see from Jake this year is for him to play lots of minutes on the Hitmen and improve his cycling game as well as stepping into more of a leadership role.

I played golf last week with a guy who scouts the dub for the Lightning now but did midget interviews with Jake when he was scouting for the Hitmen a few years back.

He had a few interesting points to bring up about Jake, some stuff that everybody already knows (great family, elite level tools in the box), but the observation he brought up to me that was most interesting to me was in regards to peoples concern that Jake lacks "hockey sense".

He figures Jake has just been the victim of bad coaching- when he went to watch him play in Midget, Jake's' team didn't even run a structured power play, they would just give the puck to Jake up high, he would go through 2 people and go bar down- It was almost impossible to predict what kind of player he could be at a higher level.

Now, I haven't watched any Hitmen games so I can't comment on what kind of coaching he's had since then but I've seen a few comments on this board that they aren't happy with the way he's being handled there either.

Regardless, this guy figures Jake just needs some time and some proper coaching and we are going to have a beast of a player on our hands.

I played golf last week with a guy who scouts the dub for the Lightning now but did midget interviews with Jake when he was scouting for the Hitmen a few years back.

He had a few interesting points to bring up about Jake, some stuff that everybody already knows (great family, elite level tools in the box), but the observation he brought up to me that was most interesting to me was in regards to peoples concern that Jake lacks "hockey sense".

He figures Jake has just been the victim of bad coaching- when he went to watch him play in Midget, Jake's' team didn't even run a structured power play, they would just give the puck to Jake up high, he would go through 2 people and go bar down- It was almost impossible to predict what kind of player he could be at a higher level.

Now, I haven't watched any Hitmen games so I can't comment on what kind of coaching he's had since then but I've seen a few comments on this board that they aren't happy with the way he's being handled there either.

Regardless, this guy figures Jake just needs some time and some proper coaching and we are going to have a beast of a player on our hands.

If what your post says is true then I really wouldn't want him to go back to the Hitmen next year. Maybe it would be for the best for Jake to stay up and learn the system in Vancouver.

Another cool idea would be for him to go to play in La Liiga.

If what your post says is true then I really wouldn't want him to go back to the Hitmen next year. Maybe it would be for the best for Jake to stay up and learn the system in Vancouver.

Best case would be the AHL and learning from Green again but that can't happen due to his age. Maybe he'll get traded to a memorial cup contender next year.

i agree it would be pretty cool to see jake suit up for barcelona or real madrid for a season.

Hockey sense is mainly an individual skill that can't be taught by any coach. That's the way I look at it atleast

Not really. It's true that some just have great vision and an innate sense of where to go to get the puck, but hockey sense also incorporates turning what you learn from a coach into instinct

Why is it so bad that I would rather have Nylander over Virtanen?

Because you have to be totally high on your own supply, and no nothing of the history of the game, to get all hot and bothered about these non-NHL players. Anyone who tells me how great Ehlers is before he scores an NHL goal can suck it. It is literally like sitting around going, "I'm telling you, in April 2019, Gold will $850 an ounce." People that know way better than you are wrong all the time. Every year. It's one thing to freak about guys who were drafted ahead of Giroux or Skinner NOW....but it's another to do it predictively. Perhaps you have personally never crossed the line from having a favorite junior player to 'freaking out', but it's safe to say that a dozen posters who are in your camp have. Junior is just junior. If you watch it, then great. If you treat junior stars like they've already reached their potential, you are an idiot.

• Upvote 4

Hockey sense is mainly an individual skill that can't be taught by any coach. That's the way I look at it atleast

I'd say so as well. It's more about how you'd react using your decision making and finding plays than it is using what's been drilled into you to become instinctive.

EDIT: yeah, I don't even know what the above post was, anyone can have the opinion of one player over another and all you can do is try and voice your own opinion in response. It'd be one thing if he made an argument for the other side, but to say no one can predict what any player will be kinda defeats the purpose of discussion.

Edited by elvis15