The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

what proof is there those three players will be stars.  That's poppycock.  They are far more likely to bust.  Even the much touted Larkin is falling off.  And don't be too surprised when Ehlers and Nylander end up playing in the Euro leagues.

i think we needed some balance to this discussion, especially since this is a CANUCKS board.

I think they will all be stars as long as things go as planned.  The league will be better if that happens, and this is why it's important to know that they all went to the correct teams.

We have a log jam of similar forwards now, while the Kassian and Kesler trades made the Virtanen pick make absolute sense.

The Calgary Hitmen are not exactly a powerhouse team, In fact I think they will suck this year.

IMHO The only reason the Hitmen GM wants Virt back is to sell tickets!

Benning should not send Virt back to a struggling, rebuilding team

This is a fair point.  Fazleev, a third liner last season, is now their highest-scoring forward.  Chase Lang is now a Giant.  Speaking of the Giants, Tyler Benson has played only 4 games this season.  Ouch.

Alflives is not a Canucks fan, he is simply here to make Canucks fans look bad by posting totally ridiculous over the top blanket statements about players nobody really believes he has ever watched.

Yeah it's not exactly difficult coming up with some BS narrative just because you do not like a poster's opinion.

I appreciate the irony of your post.  :o However, Could you please explain (to all canuck's fans) how it is being a Canuck's FAN when writing how great other teams' prospects are compared to our young players?  That is getting pretty darned close to simply trying to elicit negative response.  

If you choose to not respond, we Canuck's fans understand; it's lunch time in Cowtown.

Edited by Alflives

Let's consider for a moment the curious case of Michael Dal Colle. An elite junior scorer who averaged 40 goals a season for the last 2 seasons. He just scored his first goal of the year in junior, after 13 games. Picked ahead of Virtanen as we all know, but offers very little when he is not producing offense. 

Sam Reinhart has 5 points in 20 NHL games, but is being asked to play a defensive first role. Just because there are players who need to score to even make the NHL like Ehlers, McCann, and Pastrnak doesn't mean they are better player right now. It's just means they are doing what made them successful. For Jake that is strong forecheck, and hitting people.

Coaches tell players what they need from them and they either do it or they get sent down. We shouldn't forget that.

If people don't like that Jake is being deployed in a Defensive forechecking role fine, but don't blame him for being coachable.

Edited by Derp...
  • Upvote 1

Let's consider for a moment the curious case of Michael Dal Colle. An elite junior scorer who averaged 40 goals a season for the last 2 seasons. He just scored his first goal of the year in junior, after 13 games. Picked ahead of Virtanen as we all know, but offers very little when he is not producing offense. 

Sam Reinhart has 5 points in 20 NHL games, but is being asked to play a defensive first role. Just because there are players who need to score to even make the NHL like Ehlers, McCann, and Pastrnak doesn't mean they are better player right now. It's just means they are doing what made them successful. For Jake that is strong forecheck, and hitting people.

Coaches tell players what they need from them and they either do it or they get sent down. We shouldn't forget that.

If people don't like that Jake is being deployed in a Defensive forechecking role fine, but don't blame him for being coachable.

okay, I bow to your superior ability to defend Jake without making yourself look like a donkey, like some other posters here.  And I don't even have long ears or eat grass! ;)

• Upvote 1

I appreciate the irony of your post.  :o However, Could you please explain (to all canuck's fans) how it is being a Canuck's FAN when writing how great other teams' prospects are compared to our young players?  That is getting pretty darned close to simply trying to elicit negative response.  

If you choose to not respond, we Canuck's fans understand; it's lunch time in Cowtown.

I do not need to explain anything. Your post was nothing but conjecture. People are allowed to express their opinion on this forum even if it is not popular. DownUnder is also not a troll and I also believe he is a Canucks fan. I have read enough of his posts to come to that conclusion. Has he had problems getting over a draft that occurred 17 months ago? Yes but we all hope he gets over it someday.

And you do not speak for all fans on this forum. 

I mentioned on the GDT that Virtanen had a particular shift in the Yotes game where he circled the Yotes net after a offensive play and came back on the back check with incredible speed. Caught up with the Yotes play by the Van blue line. Outstanding effort. I am not worried by his offensive stats at all. Convinced that he has more to gain by staying in Van now.

I do not need to explain anything. Your post was nothing but conjecture. People are allowed to express their opinion on this forum even if it is not popular. DownUnder is also not a troll and I also believe he is a Canucks fan. I have read enough of his posts to come to that conclusion. Has he had problems getting over a draft that occurred 17 months ago? Yes but we all hope he gets over it someday.

And you do not speak for all fans on this forum. 

I respect the wrist slap, and accept you are right that it's okay for a few nucks fans to not realize how fortunate we are to have Jake, and not one of those softies.  

Looked great on the Burrows goal.  Good heads-up play with speed, created traffic that might have helped with the goal.

Took Grossman into the boards hard and the Coyotes didn't like that.  Grossman didn't seem to get ready for the hit well, maybe trying to draw a call.  Jake got a couple cheapshots for that. 

On the Downie goal mentioned above, I'm not sure if you can single out Jake on it, since every Canuck on the ice made a bad play before the goal.  They looked exhausted.

I think he's progressing quite rapidly.  But if he's going to play a heavy game, he's going to get his knuckles wrapped now and then so he better keep his head up, or better yet, take it to them harder.  A lot to expect from a 19 year old, but he's got the man body, so.

The name 'Big Country', after Big Country Reeves of the old Vancouver Grizzlies,  seems to be sticking around for Jake.  He dressed up as him for the team halloween party.  Not sure what I think of the name, but Jake seems to be having fun with it.  Big belt buckle and all.

Jakes bodychecks are going to piss off a lot of teams....and there's going to be retribution..I just hate it when they're stick infractions....This is where players like Brandon Prust comes in (to keep opposing players honest).

Jakes bodychecks are going to piss off a lot of teams....and there's going to be retribution..I just hate it when they're stick infractions....This is where players like Brandon Prust comes in (to keep opposing players honest).

Blake Price @BlakePriceTSN 16h16 hours ago

With Virtanen hitting as much as he has, I was wondering when he would start to get targeted. Tonight's the night.

Can't tell if trolling orrrrr............... 

don't you think trolling, on our Canuck's board, would be saying Virtanen is crap while saying that Ehlers and Nylander were the better picks?  Me thinks that better defines trolling.  I really wonder sometimes if posters are Canuck's fans, or if they just come here to poke fun at Canuck's fans?

arent you being a little bit harsh?? we finally draft a hometown kid destined to be a fan favourite who hits like a train at 19 years old, a lower mainland born and bred power forward who is so young he is still eligible for jr and you call him a waste of a 6th overall pick....

not to mention you put all that thought into typing an essay about it... you are delusional, i hope you turn into the modern day clutch and eat your words when he finally breaks out.

I do think he should go back to junior though, but to call the kid a bust already is just mind blowing lol

I'm not calling him a bust, I'm calling him a project - very similar to kids like Kassian and DSP. It's a much longer process with these guys, they don't break into the league as quickly because they don't have that high-end elite offensive ability like Ehlers, and I don't expect Virtanen to either. That's why we should send him back to junior and make the most out of this pick.

McCann playing out of this world though is really soothing the burn of the Virtanen pick though. Thank God we got some sort of offensive talent out of the draft or we would have been in real strife. I didn't expect him to be that talented at an NHL level, expecting him to be a similar Cassels-type two way forward but he's done nothing but show off that high-end offensive talent that we needed when we were drafting at number 6. Benning got lucky with McCann and he knows it.

I'm not calling him a bust, I'm calling him a project - very similar to kids like Kassian and DSP. It's a much longer process with these guys, they don't break into the league as quickly because they don't have that high-end elite offensive ability like Ehlers, and I don't expect Virtanen to either. That's why we should send him back to junior and make the most out of this pick.

McCann playing out of this world though is really soothing the burn of the Virtanen pick though. Thank God we got some sort of offensive talent out of the draft or we would have been in real strife. I didn't expect him to be that talented at an NHL level, expecting him to be a similar Cassels-type two way forward but he's done nothing but show off that high-end offensive talent that we needed when we were drafting at number 6. Benning got lucky with McCann and he knows it.

I still don't see why Virtanen was not a good pick?

But shiiiieeeeeeeeeeeet you really underrate our prospects lool

If I recall.....It was you suggesting we trade Jared McCann in the off season..?....I think you're a bit too quick to jump to conclusions about players...Give them a chance.

• Upvote 3

.McCann playing out of this world though is really soothing the burn of the Virtanen pick though. Thank God we got some sort of offensive talent out of the draft or we I would have been in real strife.

Fixed.

17 months and 522 pages on, I suggest counselling is in order.  Not healthy to be so myopically obsessive.

• Upvote 1

You need big skilled players like VIrtanen to make room for smaller guys, we were in no position to draft Ehlers because who would support him? Winnipeg however is a big, heavy team which creates room for the smaller guys

You need big skilled players like VIrtanen to make room for smaller guys, we were in no position to draft Ehlers because who would support him? Winnipeg however is a big, heavy team which creates room for the smaller guys

That's the thing that people need to understand. Add Ehlers to an already small team and we become that much easier to play against. Winnipeg needed more skill.

We already drafted our smaller skilled player in Shinkaruk too. That made size a definite necessity at last years draft. So it really came down to Virtanen vs Ritchie and they obviously went with speed over toughness. Plus the local factor.

don't you think trolling, on our Canuck's board, would be saying Virtanen is crap while saying that Ehlers and Nylander were the better picks?  Me thinks that better defines trolling.  I really wonder sometimes if posters are Canuck's fans, or if they just come here to poke fun at Canuck's fans?

as much as it is an unpopular. What if it is true. Ehlers has 4 goals, 8 points in the NHL, nylader is scoring point per game in the AHL. 

And to be honest, I find most of your post ridiculous. With your logic, you have stated that you hated vey before, even if he is a canucks, does that make you not a canuck fan.

• Upvote 1