The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Bummed that Jake misses the cutoff for the 2020 World Cup Team North America by a month. Typical NHL craziness, Jake and McCann won't be eligible for the under 24 team beyond this year. Realistically, our only young players that will have a good chance will be Boeser, and whoever we draft in the first round this year.

Yesterday's game looks like as if Virtanen has finally turned the corner and with everything clicking.  Strong on the backcheck, more than willing to pay the price to be in front of the net, strong along the boards, very physical, comfortable making pretty plays...... the exact opposite of what we saw during the Zack Kassian experiment. 

The hardest thing for a young player isn't whether they're producing or excelling.... it's about being able to do all the little things right.  So far he's been able to, along with McCann, Horvat and especially Baertschi. 

45 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

When people say he has low hockey IQ it doesn't mean he is an idiot that should be playing mens league hockey.  Some players are smarter and have a natural sense of where to be on the ice and some do not.  With Jake's great strength,  great speed, hard shot and physicality should he not be considered a surefire, elite , untouchable prospect?  Or is there one aspect of his game that is holding him back from that label?  ie hockey IQ

Declarations like "brutal IQ" and "wasted pick" are pretty self-explanatory.

He was not a #1 or 2 overall pick because he was raw, and not as polished as the consensus top-5 that draft.  He was physically more mature than most in his class and yet one of the youngest, so while he had significant upside he also had a potentially lower floor should he not continue to develop.

Did you watch the game last night?  Did you not see the same, in regards to his head-up vision and decision-making?

• Upvote 2

HF Ranking Spring 2016

3. (1) Jake Virtanen, RW, 8.0C
Drafted 1st round, 6th overall, 2014

Jake Virtanen slips to third spot on the list by no real fault of his own. The unexpected emergence of Ben Hutton and Jared McCann have overshadowed Virtanen’s somewhat modest start to his NHL career. Virtanen had a less than memorable WJC experience in Helsinki and after returning to Vancouver he seemed re-focused on what he needed to do to be a better all-around player. In recent weeks Virtanen has been given more opportunities as his ice-time has increased and he has not been a healthy scratch since early February. It appears that Virtanen has almost fully made the transition into being a reliable NHL player, now it will be his responsibility to get his game to the next level and become a consistent scoring threat. Another full season in the NHL should see Virtanen find his swagger and if he can maintain his high level of physicality and find the back of the net on a regular basis, he is sure to be a fan favorite as a power forward in Vancouver for the next decade or so.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

As I commented in the PGT, the third period showed me something I've yet to see from him -- hockey sense, vision, and playmaking.  Seemed he had his head up this game, thinking and looking to make something happen instead of just wildly throwing the puck around.  He was actually driving the play more and more, as opposed to being a black hole.  Forgot who it was he turned away from on the wall to lose his check and got a good scoring chance, then went around the net to set up a guy with an open shot but it just didn't connect.

Probably the most impressive game and certainly best period I've seen of him so far.  If that was any indication, he is NOT going to be a one-trick pony in this league.  Very VERY encouraging.

IMO Virtanen is getting up to speed on both the physical and mental sides of the NHL game. He stands out on the physical side since he broke in but I suggest that he has only scratched the surface of what he will be. He will be far more aggressive next fall. Combine that with his game awareness and watch out. I am not a fan of signing Lucic because of age, term and dollars. Jake Virtanen will be the Canucks Lucic. It might come faster than many expect. 

• Upvote 3

Hope he destroys somebody before season ends, goals are nice but as a Canucks fan seeing an opposing player enter slumberland would ease my frustrations about this yearB).  And for those who say "Hey, how can you wish that upon anyone?"  Simple:  I hope he injures someone with a legit hit. 

39 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Hope he destroys somebody before season ends, goals are nice but as a Canucks fan seeing an opposing player enter slumberland would ease my frustrations about this yearB).  And for those who say "Hey, how can you wish that upon anyone?"  Simple:  I hope he injures someone with a legit hit. 

Bizarre.  this comes off like you forget that NHL players are humans.  you shouldn't wish injuries on people, no exceptions. 

Just wish for a highlight reel hit and leave it at that.

47 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

He already did.  He hurt Bobby Ryan in the Ottawa home game.  Jake Crush popped Ryan. 

Kids progression is just amazing. I remember telling myself over and over what are doing kid? Almost looked lost in his own zone and i agreed with all the low iq crowd. With saying that seems every game hes better and better. Now i keep telling myself on the daily "holy christ this kids good at picking off passes always in the right spot to pounce" i know its a stretch like a huge stretch, but i could see jake being one of the leaders in takeaways in a few years from now