The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Big country at 231? Damn he was in worse shape than Tyamkin and Reid Boucher.

That's Eddie Lacy territory right there.

Glad he understands speed and stamina is more important than that extrs girth to throw his weight around.

In the NHL today the majority of players are good solid skaters unlike 15 years ago.

They are small and quick if you want to forecheck and be a crash and bang guy it don't matter how big you r if you can't skate.

Can't hit what you can't catch..

210-215 is a good weight range for big Jake.

4 hours ago, darkpoet said:

I'm terrified of losing Travis Green.

That guy is gold.

Almost 1,000 games as a player in the NHL, and learning from some really great coaches along the way. Al Arbour (3rd all time in wins and only Scotty Bowman has coached more games) , Pat Quinn in Toronto, Randy Carlyle...

We have to find a way to keep him. 

Fire Willie? Replace him with Travis Green?

I mean Willie never even played in the NHL. Travis Green would get more respect from okuers young and old. Being a guy who has played under and been around good coaches.

Edited by Chip Kelly

5 hours ago, darkpoet said:

I'm terrified of losing Travis Green.

That guy is gold.

Almost 1,000 games as a player in the NHL, and learning from some really great coaches along the way. Al Arbour (3rd all time in wins and only Scotty Bowman has coached more games) , Pat Quinn in Toronto, Randy Carlyle...

We have to find a way to keep him. 

I guess Gretzky should of been one of the best coaches ever... :rolleyes:

I think there is more to it than just NHL games played, but I do agree that we need to keep him around. 

6 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

After this season i see him as more of a Darcy Hordichuk player, i think we will be jumping for joy if he turns into Torres and is a 20 goal scorer.

aiming low, eh. why do you feel as if he would only become a Hordichuk type of player? 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

aiming low, eh. why do you feel as if he would only become a Hordichuk type of player? 

Just on his AHL season this year, tongue in cheek there. Seriously i don't think he will be that low but i'm not sure he will be a 20 goal scorer either. Mind you i didn't see Yakupov as a fringe player either...  Where do you see him in the future?

I personally don't see Virtanen ending up any lower than as a third line energy forward. He has all the tools to be at least that. Don't need creativity for that job. If he can put it together, I could see him being a Torres-like guy (Torres in his prime, that is).

9 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Hockey sense can be improved on by consistently training with a focus on the basics, which is what he is doing in Utica.

I think Torres' undisciplined temper had a negative effect on his career.  Hopefully that will not be a problem for Jake.

I don't see Jake as an elite player, but if he ends up a career 3rd liner after being picked 6th in a strong draft, it will be disappointing. 

In the end, if he works his butt off and puts out a solid effort every night, that's all you can as for.  As you have stated; it's certainly not his fault where he was picked in the draft.

Jake is only 20 and I would suggest he is less mature personally than some other Canuck picks like Horvat and Boeser.  In an interview today on 1040, Shane Malloy, host of the Hockey Prospects show on Sirius NHL Radio says that a players maturity level has a huge affect on his development.  His comments on this start at the 1:40 mark and pertain to Brock Boeser but could apply to any prospect.  http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/malloy-boeser-has-top-line-potential-but-must-put-the-work-in-1.707673

Jake is still young at 20.  Most people typically develop mentally until around age 22 or 23, which is what Malloy alludes to in the above interview. Zack Kassian is 26 now and only in the last year or 2 has reached a level of maturity and his career seems to be stabilizing and his performance is becoming more solid.  I only raise Kassian because Virtanen may be a late bloomer in this respect as well.  Bottom line, no need to give up on him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, phishnapper said:

Alot of people say he would be a failure if he turned out to be another Torres but if you loom at there stats they are very similar. And play a similar style. I would love a prime Torres.

You mean a guy that will score 40-50 points with 25 goals and force the entire opposing team to keep their head up? Yeah, sign me up any day! Torres had a few 20+ goal seasons for the Oilers which, had he of done that throughout his career, would of been a pretty decent pick himself for #5. I am still hoping Virtanen can put together a Dustin Brown type presence on the ice, but perhaps he peaks later on in his career rather than earlier. As in, basically reverse what Brown has done where Virtanen would get 25-30 points in his first several seasons and then is averaging between 50-60 in his peak years. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Just on his AHL season this year, tongue in cheek there. Seriously i don't think he will be that low but i'm not sure he will be a 20 goal scorer either. Mind you i didn't see Yakupov as a fringe player either...  Where do you see him in the future?

it really depends on his off season and next season. if your asking me what kind of player he becomes based off of this season. then i'd say a third line, fringe second line player. but i wanna reserve my judgement for next season he's worked on a lot of things not offensively this season. seems to be getting it. i'm hoping and expecting progress in his offensive game next season. ask me then where i think and what kind of player i think he can become at that time. most likely my response will have changed. 

• Upvote 1

By the time this team is ready to make some noise in the playoffs a couple years from now, the Canucks will actually need Jake Virtanen. Letting him take his time developing in the minor leagues until 22 while Benning gets the rest of the team in order is exactly what he needs so he has the right line mates to help him succeed.

He doesn't need to be on the top line to make an impact as much as some of the skilled wingers we've recently acquired so he'll help balance the forward group as Goldobin and Dahlén come in. Add in Gaunce as a C/LW and you have more than enough wingers to round out the middle six. All we need is for one or two of Benning's drafted forwards to really step it up and exceed expectations at an NHL level. I'm hoping Boeser and Gaudette are the start of that.

• Upvote 1

I don't know if people remember when Todd Bertuzzi was 23 years old.  They used to say that Bert was lazy and wasn't trying hard even though he had the toughness and skill to be a top power forward in the NHL.  We traded for him and he found the right linemate and he suddenly was hard working and trying hard on every shift.  What i'm trying to say is that Jake will not show us what he will turn out to be until he is 24-26.  He plays a type of game that needs maturing.  It requires hard skating for a big kid like him, which needs lots of effort and commitment to training.  That's where his youth is still behind in.  He isn't a mature old soul like Bo and Brock, but a lot of kids at that age aren't.  Bo and Brock are the exception.  With the right coaching and right amount of tough love, Jake will perfect his training and off ice programming and that will translate to his on ice game. 

I have no doubt Jake will be fine.  He isn't going to be a 80 point high skilled player, but I know that when this team is gonna have future big game battles in playoffs, we're gonna be so glad to have Jake as one of the main keys to our abilities to win those playoff games.  He is going to be a very impactful player.  It doesn't have to be high scoring numbers, but it's a combo of hard hitting, closing down the opposition defense and pushing the defense back with his high speed in the neutral zone.  Include those things with good share of points and he will be one of the main reasons we will win majority of our games.

• Upvote 4

I still think Jake will end up a bust or, at least, be a marginal NHL'er 

People are comparing him to Torres but at least Torres was having good offensive numbers in the AHL around the same time Jake started his pro career. 

But if I am wrong then it's one of those instances where I am glad I am wrong. Unless of course Vancouver trades him only to realize his potential shortly after :P

Edited by iinatcc
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Fire Willie? Replace him with Travis Green?

I mean Willie never even played in the NHL. Travis Green would get more respect from okuers young and old. Being a guy who has played under and been around good coaches.

Talking through your ---- again Chip, it's becoming an obsession it seems.

Exactly where do you get these delusions from? 

Willie seems to have mountains of respect from the Canucks players. Green has fewer youngsters in his Utica team than WD has.

As for "played under and been around good coaches" really? Did you read that in a book somewhere? Coaching is more about psychology, man management and the ability to teach and communicate than any of that homespun crap. You either have it or you don't, it is not something easily copied from those who have it naturally.

Willie is a natural and has proved it at every level. Green? well he still has to prove his case.

• Upvote 2

“I want to go into camp and be in phenomenal shape, and I’m already pretty prepared for that and I’m completely dedicated to that,” Virtanen told the Vancouver Province. “I’m going to be really excited and I have to be an everyday guy.”

http://www.tsn.ca/canucks-virtanen-focused-on-nhl-return-1.708089

Just one of many interesting team storylines to watch over the summer and into training camp.

8 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Talking through your ---- again Chip, it's becoming an obsession it seems.

Exactly where do you get these delusions from? 

Willie seems to have mountains of respect from the Canucks players. Green has fewer youngsters in his Utica team than WD has.

As for "played under and been around good coaches" really? Did you read that in a book somewhere? Coaching is more about psychology, man management and the ability to teach and communicate than any of that homespun crap. You either have it or you don't, it is not something easily copied from those who have it naturally.

Willie is a natural and has proved it at every level. Green? well he still has to prove his case.

He has proved himself at the AHL Lev he took Utica to the finals. And this year his coaching is a masterpiece.

Cobbled lineup full of suspects no top AHL career guys to lead the way.

Rookie goalie. In the playoffs hunt. What more does Green have to prove?

He gets the most out of the horse dung he is given to work with.

Willie may mean well but I doubt his systems knowledge and lineup deployment compared to Green.

Travis Green is NHL ready. Question who will give him a shot to prove it...

• Upvote 1