The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Interesting your opinion is opposite to his coach from last season (who is now the Canuck coach) who said he was dominate in many key areas they had him working on by the end of the AHL season.   Based upon watching games, the shoulder didn't seem to curtail his play at all and you don't skate on your shoulder so his speed looked good too.

Anyway, perhaps you know more than his coach.   Will know soon as training camp is less than 10 weeks away.   

No need to be rude sir. 

His shoulder injury impeded his development IMO. When I saw him play live in his draft year he was the best player on the ice hands down. His shot and release was unbelievable. One of the best I've seen at the Jr level. D-men crumbled in his presence and he electrified the crowd. Maybe it was just a really good game that I happen to catch, IDK. Regardless, his potential was there. When we drafted him I was excited because of the impression he left with me. 

We all talk about how the Oilers ruined their young stars by pushing them into roles they weren't ready to assume, while the exact same thing unfolded before our eyes with Jake Virtanen. 

He should have  been handled as a top 6 or nothing kinda guy. I don't like how he was forced into a checking role before he even experienced the AHL. People forget that this guy was drafted 6th OA because of his elite offensive talent. His offensive ability should have been the focus, not his physicality. 

Unfortunately, most players don't recover from this type of downtrend. Could he become a serviceable bottom 6 guy? Sure, but that's not what we should expect from a guy who had such raw talent and the potential to be selected 6th overall. 

I hope he recovers and becomes that player I saw a few years ago, but I don't expect that to happen. It's a shame. 

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't be surprised if Travis Green keeps Virtanen up to play on the third or fourth line. Might be good for Virtanen to play for Green rather than another new coach; that would be his third in as many seasons. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Travis Green keeps Virtanen up to play on the third or fourth line. Might be good for Virtanen to play for Green rather than another new coach; that would be his third in as many seasons. 

At the very least, I can see him getting a call up when injuries hit. It's really going to depend on Virtanen and how he is come training camp pretty much like any other prospect (hopefully).

• Upvote 1

On 6/27/2017 at 7:45 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Before you bury this poor kid, the recently announced invite list of players for the Canuck Development Camp has 13 of those invitees being older than Virtanen.   Perhaps that can put his age into perspective.   Give him at least another season or two before you bury him - as stated many times, and ignored many times, he can skate so well for such a big guy and seemingly has taken the last year to learn how to be a professional hockey player - something that seems to take longer for power forward types - so while no one has a crystal ball, it is far beyond "no chance" that this kid becomes a legitimate top six NHL player.   

So true. People seem to forget guys like Bertuzzi, Primeau, Kreider, Benn, Otto, Stevens, LeClair, Neely, etc.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, The Lock said:

Well the bolded's actually your opinion. "Dissapointment" is going to be a matter of perspective and forcing your opinion on others is falsely making you think others are delusional. ;)

Come on.....now you just sound like you're getting paid to post, "Astroturfing" is the term I'm looking for. Reality needs no outside interpretation, it's there, you can SEE it, the poster you are arguing with speaks the truth, and the truth is never complicated though those who are uncomfortable with it would have you believe it is. At any rate, training camp is on the horizon and Jake will have a clean slate to work with, he will show us what kind of player he his, and it will be what it is. No spins necessary, the truth about Jake Virtanen will tell it's self. I hope he does well.

• Upvote 1

On 5/10/2017 at 10:04 PM, S'all Good Man said:

it would be great if he had some chemistry with Sutter. Virtanen-Sutter-Goldy line? Size, speed, decent D from Sutter and a talented scoring winger?

Sutter? You mean Gandalf? 

Jake needs someone he can give and go with, someone who can take advantage of his speed and get him the puck in full flight.....someone who likes to pass, that ain't Sutter, Maybe Gagne

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Jake needs someone he can give and go with, someone who can take advantage of his speed and get him the puck in full flight.....someone who likes to pass, that ain't Sutter, Maybe Gagne

Yeah, I think Jake needs a good playmaker (or two) on his line.  Maybe   Eriksson  Gagner   Virtanen.  Not a bad 3rd line.  I do think that Jake will go back to Utica for awhile, at least until they sort out who's staying and who's leaving.  And when the injuries start...

12 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

Green likes to rotate players in and out of the line up. With 4 waiver expempt top 9 wingers, the inevitability of slumps, playing a full NHL schedule and learning curves I could honestly expect that all of Boeser, Virtannen, Goldy and Dahlen if he stays in NA get good stints in both the AHL and NHL this season. This allows Green to play the hot hand, booster Utica and develop players properly. 

If OJ was able to play in the AHL, we could start doing this for the Defence a lot more. 

47 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Yeah, I think Jake needs a good playmaker (or two) on his line.  Maybe   Eriksson  Gagner   Virtanen.  Not a bad 3rd line.  I do think that Jake will go back to Utica for awhile, at least until they sort out who's staying and who's leaving.  And when the injuries start...

A Virtannen LW, Gagne Center and Sutter RW who also takes faceoffs would be a pretty nice 3rd line.  

Here is a line up that I could really get excited about.  

Granlund/Baer Henrik Boeser

Daniel/Baer  Horvat Eriksson/Granlund

Virtannen Gagne Sutter 

Labate Gaunce/Granlund Dorsett 

Goldy and Dalhen can also be inserted across the line up.  Some size and a good 2a,2b with a potentially great third line. 

It may not be the best lineup but there is good depth and if MDZ, Stecher and Hutton with honourable chance to OJ can improve on getting the puck out of the back end and up the ice faster... There is a lot of room for improvement and we are seeing some youth emerge as players. 

Outside chance thay Subban takes the next step and hits an inside straight flush into becoming an NHL player.  

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast

4 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

I missed the point of the reference?

Sure Gagner would be great - if we ran 4 lines of Bo, Henrik for more o-zone draws, and Gagner, Sutter for d-zone thats not bad C depth for next year. Line numbers don't mean much for this team at this point. Although I don't know how well Gagner would do in a shut down role... honestly I haven't paid that much attention to him. 

16 hours ago, Burnt Gravy said:

His shoulder injury impeded his development IMO. When I saw him play live in his draft year he was the best player on the ice hands down. His shot and release was unbelievable. One of the best I've seen at the Jr level. D-men crumbled in his presence and he electrified the crowd. Maybe it was just a really good game that I happen to catch, IDK. Regardless, his potential was there. When we drafted him I was excited because of the impression he left with me. 

We all talk about how the Oilers ruined their young stars by pushing them into roles they weren't ready to assume, while the exact same thing unfolded before our eyes with Jake Virtanen. 

He should have  been handled as a top 6 or nothing kinda guy. I don't like how he was forced into a checking role before he even experienced the AHL. People forget that this guy was drafted 6th OA because of his elite offensive talent. His offensive ability should have been the focus, not his physicality. 

Unfortunately, most players don't recover from this type of downtrend. Could he become a serviceable bottom 6 guy? Sure, but that's not what we should expect from a guy who had such raw talent and the potential to be selected 6th overall. 

I hope he recovers and becomes that player I saw a few years ago, but I don't expect that to happen. It's a shame. 

Your best trolling attempt to date but so over the top no one will take the bait.   :lol:

• Upvote 1

On 7/7/2017 at 1:19 PM, WeneedLumme said:

Chemistry is knowing EXACTLY what the other player is doing and where he's going to be WITHOUT needing to look. The twins have better chemistry than almost any duo ever. This is probably the biggest component of "Sedinery". If this is news to you, maybe you should watch them play sometime.

You don't know what you mean to say.  "knowing how the other player thinks the play." is chemistry - broken down into a logic that is quantifiable.

knowing EXACTLY what the other player is doing and where he's going is actually impossible - if you think about it.  How do you even know what you are going to say minute to minute when you are in a conversation (do you think all your words and rationalize them before you speak, or is it stream of consciousness??? hmm... I wonder...)  LET ALONE a complex sport with complex Interaction like hockey.

1. You failed to understand what I was trying to say.

2. You think chemistry is magic - and think there is more going on than just logic.   so please let me know what you think chemistry is, besides some impossible ridiculous childish magical belief that people can know EXACTLY what someone else is doing and is going to be doing without looking at them (although looking at them shouldn't really help, if you think about it.... lol)

chemistry is processing the play and thinking where the other player should be if they think like you - or react like you without thinking (through repetition, practice, etc).  There is no magic.  

peace

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, canucksnihilist said:

You don't know what you mean to say.  "knowing how the other player thinks the play." is chemistry - broken down into a logic that is quantifiable.

knowing EXACTLY what the other player is doing and where he's going is actually impossible - if you think about it.  How do you even know what you are going to say minute to minute when you are in a conversation (do you think all your words and rationalize them before you speak, or is it stream of consciousness??? hmm... I wonder...)  LET ALONE a complex sport with complex Interaction like hockey.

1. You failed to understand what I was trying to say.

2. You think chemistry is magic - and think there is more going on than just logic.   so please let me know what you think chemistry is, besides some impossible ridiculous childish magical belief that people can know EXACTLY what someone else is doing and is going to be doing without looking at them (although looking at them shouldn't really help, if you think about it.... lol)

chemistry is processing the play and thinking where the other player should be if they think like you - or react like you without thinking (through repetition, practice, etc).  There is no magic.  

peace

Actually I know exactly what I mean to say. And no I don't think chemistry is magic. It typically results from experience playing with each other. The more experience players have playing together, the better they understand what their partner will do in any given situation, ie: the better their chemistry.

If you don't understand that a lifetime of playing together combined with very high hockey IQs has resulted in the twins having better chemistry together than almost any duo in history you really should watch them play sometime. Maybe count how many "no-look" passes they make in an offensive zone shift and watch how accurate they are, and compare that to those that other players make.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Actually I know exactly what I mean to say. And no I don't think chemistry is magic. It typically results from experience playing with each other. The more experience players have playing together, the better they understand what their partner will do in any given situation, ie: the better their chemistry.

If you don't understand that a lifetime of playing together combined with very high hockey IQs has resulted in the twins having better chemistry together than almost any duo in history you really should watch them play sometime. Maybe count how many "no-look" passes they make in an offensive zone shift and watch how accurate they are, and compare that to those that other players make.

Thanks for trying to tell me what I think, but you are not remotely qualified to do that, you arrogant obnoxious clown.

Actually you said that you were talking about knowing what the other person is doing and will do without looking at them.  which is logically absurd, especially the "will do" part...   sounds like magic to me ;).  like it or not pal, words get in the way sometimes....  try not to get hung up on interpretations...   I'm not going to sink to your level to reply in kind however, even though that is what you really want?  Let me know and I'll try to be creative with some insults.  we could have an insult battle perhaps?  3 posts each?  Winner by poll in a new post?

Anyways, try reading some psychology, it might make your life better.  And thanks for insulting me, it was quite fun!  I expect a bunch more insults - but please try to be a bit more creative, it would be more entertaining.  I'm sure it has something to do with your argument, but I'm not sure which part.

peace

44 minutes ago, Mr53 said:

With all this talk about insults, reading comprehension, and misinterpretations I'm a little curious...How's Jake's chirp game? How's his reading comprehension? Did he misinterpret Willie at times and that's why he got sent down? 

Jake last summer put on pounds thinking he needed to, to play a heavier game and it put him in a situation that made it hard to keep up in game situations.  He needed to loose 20 lb.  He was sent down to do that and learn a little more about what it meant to be a pro (Mature a bit as well).  According to JB, TL and TG he has done that so we are all hoping he has done that and is going to show up to camp ready to resume his NHL career. :)

14 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Come on.....now you just sound like you're getting paid to post, "Astroturfing" is the term I'm looking for. Reality needs no outside interpretation, it's there, you can SEE it, the poster you are arguing with speaks the truth, and the truth is never complicated though those who are uncomfortable with it would have you believe it is. At any rate, training camp is on the horizon and Jake will have a clean slate to work with, he will show us what kind of player he his, and it will be what it is. No spins necessary, the truth about Jake Virtanen will tell it's self. I hope he does well.

Again, this is all about opinions. This is YOUR opinion on Jake Virtanen. It's not reality. It's an opinion. If you need to somehow justify your opinion as being a fact, then chances are, your argument isn't sound. There can be sound opinions that are based on facts, but opinions themselves are not facts.

This is where a lot of the fault lies in even what you just brought up here. It's like saying you own a car.... yet it has no wheels, no engine, etc.... just the frame with no substance.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

I missed the point of the reference?

Sure Gagner would be great - if we ran 4 lines of Bo, Henrik for more o-zone draws, and Gagner, Sutter for d-zone thats not bad C depth for next year. Line numbers don't mean much for this team at this point. Although I don't know how well Gagner would do in a shut down role... honestly I haven't paid that much attention to him. 

I think it's a good idea to run 4 lines, but Bo would do the defensive draws, not Gagner. Honestly, I'd like to see Virtanen with Bo. They looked really dangerous together in the preseason and parts of Virtanen's rookie season. Virtanen is at his best when he's hounding the puck and laying out hits, and that goes well with Bo's style of play. 

His ability to play on the left or right wing, and his familiarity with Green, could mean that he wins a spot this year. But he really has to earn it. 

• Upvote 2