The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Watching guys attempt to hit him, only to get destroyed themselves, will never get old.

Guy is a human highlight reel. Even if he doesn't become a 1st line winger, he's gonna be a highly entertaining player. That has value in and of itself.

Edited by Pimp C

I never said the need for youth was irrational. I think our core is old too. My concern is how we go about bringing in the youth.

There are many good reasons why a prospect should not make the jump to the NHL even though they are good enough here are a few of those arguments:

1. Add size/strength: Some players who have great offensive and defensive skill that would allow them to play in the NHL so that they can be more effective in using that skill in the NHL.

2. Injuries: Tied into point 1 if a player is recovering from an injury why risk re-injurying in the NHL, where the play is faster and the hits are harder.

3. Confidence: These players are use to being one of the best players on the ice. It is hard to predict how they would respond to taking a lower role in the NHL. Our own Kassian is a good example. He constantly talks (before his recent success) about needing to score. He still thinks of himself as a scorer, he is having trouble accepting that he may need to be a different player in the NHL. Shinkaruk seems to be down on himself this year for his point total. In many interviews he contends that he is a scorer (which I agree) and that he needs to score more. It's a big adjustment from junior to the pros (even the AHL). No need to ruin a players confidence.

4. Maturity: Similar to the point on confidence, it is difficult to know how a 19 year old (or an 18 year old) will respond to playing in the NHL from a maturity stand point. Higher levels of responsibility away from the ice may be overwhelming and translate negatively onto the ice. People only need to think back to when they were 18 or 19. Conversely, playing and being a leader in junior can allow prospects to mature positively and learn how to deal with responsibility.

5. Salary Cap/ Contract: I don't think anyone hear would argue that Virtanen at age 20, 21, 22 will be better than Virtanen age 19,20,21. If he stays in junior an extra year we get more bang for our buck. Moreover, this causes a ripple effect as his next bridge contract will come when he is entering his prime which will once again give us more bang for our buck. Furthermore, he will be an RFA for an extra year. Lastly, I don't think anyone here sees us as major contenders for the next few years (especially not next year) why not time his contract to match when the team becomes competitive again?

A good example would be Sam Reinhart. He was definitely good enough to make buffalo and to make them a better team. By sending him back to junior: they didn't have to burn a year of his contract when their team was horrible; it allowed them to tank even better; and it helped Reinhart grow as a player skill wise and leader through his WHL team and WJC.

Of course there are also reasons for bring a prospect in earlier. One that is significant is to appease fans. Horvat is making the Canucks money through ticket sales and jersey sales etc.

Don't get me wrong I love to see exciting prospects play, but to say that there is no good reasons for not playing a prospect that is good enough to play in the NHL is just for a lack of trying.

Virtanen's big hit last night:

Jeez, he just re-wrote the Laws of Physics in the blink on an eye.

Zack and Jake.

The Bruise Brothers.

The Black and Blues Brothers? :lol:

But I thought that the Hitmen suck because they have no fancy prospects in this draft?!

Pretty sure the issue most people have had with the Hitmen is the coaching decisions particularly as they relate to Virtanen's usage. I don't think anyone has disparaged the makeup of the team itself.