The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

How old is Bennett though?

(I'm not sure why calling him up is being discussed. He's still in the WHL playoffs, hello? You guys should know that.)

or 226 months old
or 982 weeks old
or 6880 days old
or 165120 hours old
or 9907258 minutes old
or 594435496 seconds old
And, your next birthday is in:

59 days 16 hrs 2 mins 44 secs

They have guys like Baertschi and Jensen that should get the call up before him but if he was out of the playoffs it wouldn't be out of the question to can him up for the experience, ehlers just got called up and jake was suppose to be more nhl ready than him.

Not can to can't, but willing and not willing.

So Virtanen is just going to come into a down room and cheer everyone up by flashing his pearly whites? Or he'll be the only one on the ice trying?

I disagree they're all unwilling, by the way.

While I agree with you, I think you can scratch boom boom of that list. Guys a plug these days, doesn't really bring anything to the table besides leadership.

Seems like he can still toss a punch as needed, and I'm sure a hit or two. They don't have to all beat him with speedy play and offensive prowess.

Maybe Virtanen could come in and play just as if he was playing against junior aged players, but then again we've seen it far to often go the other way. But of course it's moot until his team is done in the playoffs.

Edited by elvis15

If the flames bring Bennett in, we should bring Virtanen in and have him play with the Sedins!

Makes me wonder how well he'd do with the Twins though, Jake's more a north-south winger while the Twins are very deliberate in moving the puck up ice. Burr succeeded with him because the Twins were the chip and he was the charge. Jake might try to lug it in himself and shoot off the rush often. Then again, he does have the size and shot going for him.

If he does make the team, I'd love to see

Danny - Hank - Kass (work the down-low plays, and all three can feed each other and score)

Jake - Bo - Verb (strong skating line, with two physical guys opening room for Verb the sniper)

Sven - Bones - Burr (they've been strong as the 2nd line, but all three do better as the 3rd)

Kenny - Richie - Hansen (decent 4th line with physicality)

Trade Higgins.

Edited by Phil_314

If he does make the team, I'd love to see

Danny - Hank - Kass (work the down-low plays, and all three can feed each other and score)

Jake - Bo - Verb (strong skating line, with two physical guys opening room for Verb the sniper)

Higgins - Bones - Burr (they've been strong as the 2nd line, but all three do better as the 3rd)

Kenins - Richie - Hansen (decent 4th line with physicality)

Baertschi?

Depends what you consider a bust. I think he'll easily play 100+ games in the nhl. But I believe he's going to be a fringe 2 liner and mostly a 3rd liner. So for me, with the 6th pick I consider that a bad pick.

When I watch him play I think of a bigger, more physical, less falling mason raymond.

Whoa, that's a second liner then. Raymond was a 50 point scorer. So if Virtanen is bigger, more physical, and less falling than Mason Raymond, then there is a good chance that he will be 50+ point scorer on a consistent basis.

Higgins - Bones - Burr (they've been strong as the 2nd line, but all three do better as the 3rd)

Kenins - Richie - Hansen (decent 4th line with physicality)

As said above, Baertschi.

But also Dorsett because no one is going to take him. And we wouldn't keep Richardson.

If we're really going to go full youth like that with Virtanen, Horvat, and Baertschi, Higgins would have to be moved. Kenins probably sits because not as effective without Horvat & he's not a centre.

Dank - Hank - Kass

Baertschi- Horvat - Vrbata

Virtanen - Bonino - Burrows

Dorsett-?-Hansen

If we're doing day dream next year rosters with Virtanen (unlikely IMO), frankly we'd need to move Mr. playoff no show Vrbata IMO.

Sedin, Sedin, Kassian

Baer, Bonino, Virtanen

Burrows, Horvat, Hansen

Higgins, Richie/Guance/UFA etc, Dorsett

Vey as spare, Kenins as first bottom 6 call up, Shink as top 6 call up.

If top 6 is over Virtanen's head a bit, Burr can shift up to 2nd RW (or first, moving Kassian to 2nd), Hansen to 3rd LW and Virt to 3rd RW.

Edited by J.R.

Not impressed with the way the Hitmen have been playing at all.

After watching the Canucks Flames series, I'm glad we've got Virtanen. Really hoping he can consistently put up 50+ pts. in the NHL, while being able to be a speedy winger with a strong, gritty, fast hitting game.

So Virtanen is just going to come into a down room and cheer everyone up by flashing his pearly whites? Or he'll be the only one on the ice trying?

I disagree they're all unwilling, by the way.

Seems like he can still toss a punch as needed, and I'm sure a hit or two. They don't have to all beat him with speedy play and offensive prowess.

Maybe Virtanen could come in and play just as if he was playing against junior aged players, but then again we've seen it far to often go the other way. But of course it's moot until his team is done in the playoffs.

Ya, if needed. He doesn't seem to get into the rough stuff as much anymore. And ya I agree with you on the Virtanen aspect as well.

Not impressed with the way the Hitmen have been playing at all.

After watching the Canucks Flames series, I'm glad we've got Virtanen. Really hoping he can consistently put up 50+ pts. in the NHL, while being able to be a speedy winger with a strong, gritty, fast hitting game.

Why not? They are in the conference finals, they must be doing something right.