The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Too early to make conclusions. A lot of players need time to gain some ground. I say give him more ice time and get him involved in the game more! That's how we all learn! From experience. He definitely has the body to handle more ice. High risk high reward Willie! One good bounce and momentum could be on our side.

• Upvote 1

Hey at least Nylander isn't ripping up the AHL as a 19 year old...oh wait...he is.

But it's still very early obviously but yes the frustration continues to build every time I watch Virtanen go out there and do nothing.

yup.  We need more super softies to go with Baertchi.  Hahaha.  You should thank God we have Virtanen and not more marshmallow types.  How can you have the Big E as your avatar, and want softies over Virtanen?  You should change your avatar to Alexandre Daigle.

• Upvote 1

Hey at least Nylander isn't ripping up the AHL as a 19 year old...oh wait...he is.

But it's still very early obviously but yes the frustration continues to build every time I watch Virtanen go out there and do nothing.

I honestly haven't seen much of anything offensively out of him. Just looks like he's in way over his head in this league. Needs to go back to junior.

Hate to say "I told you so" but Ehlers is hovering around a point per game at the NHL level and for all of you who thought he was tiny and weak, he's playing pretty sound defensively and his speed is really keeping him afloat. He's playing strikingly similarly to Kane, and quite frankly I'd rather a Pat Kane on my team over a Dustin Penner type guy who we seem to have in Virtanen.

Then again, I didn't really want Ehlers, just wanted to let people know that we blew a high pick in Virtanen. Also nice to point out that Nylander is over a point per game in the AHL. Sure, Ehlers and Nylander are far more offensively talented than Virtanen and will break into the NHL quicker, but Virtanen needs to lift his offensive game because we can't have just wasted a 6th overall pick on a one or two time 20 goal scorer. This kid belongs in junior for at least another year, and then should have to prove himself PROPERLY the way Gaunce and Shinkaruk are trying, because he's quite simply not skilled enough to break into the NHL the way Ehlers, McDavid and co. are.

Virtanen is getting the royal treatment when he doesn't deserve it and quite frankly has done nothing to warrant an NHL stint. He had a decent preseason (IMO worse than Gaunce and Shinkaruk) and is only getting his 9 NHL games because we wasted a high pick on him.

This is the second draft in a row that the Canucks have let up a highly skilled offensive player. We picked Horvat over Domi and Virtanen over Nylander/Ehlers, and now look what's happening: the Canucks kids can't score up front and they may be big, strong and can throw hits, but Domi and Ehlers are scoring at a rediculous point-per-game pace in the NHL.

It's one thing to have size and hit in the playoffs, but that's absolutely no good if you don't have offensive talent in today's NHL. Unfortunately, we don't have a skilled offensive force in our prospect pool apart from maybe McCann and Baertschi, and the latter is being benched constantly. You pick high offensive talents with those top-10 picks, not grinders. Not saying Horvat was a bad pick, but two grinders who can't score in a row is frustrating considering the elite talent we could and should have added to our prospect pools that is already flush with powerforwards.

• Upvote 2

Hate to say "I told you so" but Ehlers is hovering around a point per game at the NHL level and for all of you who thought he was tiny and weak, he's playing pretty sound defensively and his speed is really keeping him afloat. He's playing strikingly similarly to Kane, and quite frankly I'd rather a Pat Kane on my team over a Dustin Penner type guy who we seem to have in Virtanen.

Then again, I didn't really want Ehlers, just wanted to let people know that we blew a high pick in Virtanen. Also nice to point out that Nylander is over a point per game in the AHL. Sure, Ehlers and Nylander are far more offensively talented than Virtanen and will break into the NHL quicker, but Virtanen needs to lift his offensive game because we can't have just wasted a 6th overall pick on a one or two time 20 goal scorer. This kid belongs in junior for at least another year, and then should have to prove himself PROPERLY the way Gaunce and Shinkaruk are trying, because he's quite simply not skilled enough to break into the NHL the way Ehlers, McDavid and co. are.

Virtanen is getting the royal treatment when he doesn't deserve it and quite frankly has done nothing to warrant an NHL stint. He had a decent preseason (IMO worse than Gaunce and Shinkaruk) and is only getting his 9 NHL games because we wasted a high pick on him.

This is the second draft in a row that the Canucks have let up a highly skilled offensive player. We picked Horvat over Domi and Virtanen over Nylander/Ehlers, and now look what's happening: the Canucks kids can't score up front and they may be big, strong and can throw hits, but Domi and Ehlers are scoring at a rediculous point-per-game pace in the NHL.

It's one thing to have size and hit in the playoffs, but that's absolutely no good if you don't have offensive talent in today's NHL. Unfortunately, we don't have a skilled offensive force in our prospect pool apart from maybe McCann and Baertschi, and the latter is being benched constantly. You pick high offensive talents with those top-10 picks, not grinders. Not saying Horvat was a bad pick, but two grinders who can't score in a row is frustrating considering the elite talent we could and should have added to our prospect pools that is already flush with powerforwards.

lol is this satire about cdc'ers who complain or are you the essence of cdc?

• Upvote 3

Even a blind squirrel can find it's way though a maze if given enough time.....

Are we really turning on Horvat this quickly after his final half of last year and post season? Bo is not just a grinder and was the right pick at 9. Sure, he's slumping a bit to start the year but a lot of 2nd year players slump. Including Nathan Mckinnon (sp), the 1st overall pick in Bo's draft year. This may not even be a sophomore slump, he could just be plain in a slump but even so lots of good players go through rough patches and have slumps.

Edited by Delta76

Love the hindsight 20/20 fans.

Sam Reinhart, Sam Bennet among other players that are struggling right now.  Look at their stats, they aint any better then Virtannen and those guys have top line minutes.  Bennet has recently played himself off top 6 duties actually, Reinhart also.

Dal Cole has 7 points in 8 games..... in the OHL!  Leon is stuck in the AHL.  

Virtannen is a bust??? think again.  At lleast he's throwing his weight around. 

give the kid some time, I remember Kesler took a grand 6 years to turn in to the force he will become.  

• Upvote 4

Jake is not benefiting from a Horvat that is doing nothing, and neither is Baertchi - put them both out with McCann for a few shifts and let Horvat watch - Horvat is zero for this year - accomplishing nothing. He needs to get his donkey in gear.  The centre is supposed to be crating chances for his wingers, and all Horvat is concerned with is creating chances for Horvat.

It seems that some fans are already loosing faith in JB and his scouting team.  Jake is the highest pick that this team has had in years and will be analyzed for a long time to come.   In his first few NHL games, he hasn't overly impressed; especially in comparison to how some of the other players in his draft have performed.

Jake is a big brute, with dazzling speed and the ability to lay out clean, impressive hits.  Those are the skills that come naturally to him and what he falls back on when he is under pressure.  Imo, he doesn't read the game as well as some of the young players that are being compared to him and perhaps he never will, but I don't think he necessarily has to.

I think he will need some very good coaching to help him learn the kind of game that he will need to play if he is to reach his potential as a 'game changer' kind of player.  Hopefully, Jake will be the kind of player that creates a lot of space in the O-zone and will wreak havoc in the psyche of the opposing players whenever he steps on the ice.  I don't think he'll ever score massive #s like Bert or Cam, but the players alongside him will benefit from his physical work and score plenty in return.

It's often said that power forwards take longer to adjust to the NHL, which doesn't surprise me at all.  Most of their lives they have competed against smaller players, then suddenly they have to face men that are the same size or even bigger.  These men also have more experience and skill, as well.  It seems that most of them take some time to adjust to the pro game.  Along with Bert and Cam, there is Leclair, Lucic, Getzlaf, Kerr, Steven, etc. that all had slow starts.  Some ended up scoring big #s, others not so much.  But they were all game changers who had a huge impact on their teams.

Jake is barely 19yrs old.  Have some patience.

lol is this satire about cdc'ers who complain or are you the essence of cdc?

Even a blind squirrel can find it's way though a maze if given enough time.....

Are we really turning on Horvat this quickly after his final half of last year and post season? Bo is not just a grinder and was the right pick at 9. Sure, he's slumping a bit to start the year but a lot of 2nd year players slump. Including Nathan Mckinnon (sp), the 1st overall pick in Bo's draft year. This may not even be a sophomore slump, he could just be plain in a slump but even so lots of good players go through rough patches and have slumps.

Again, remember -- he admittedly does not watch games.

• Upvote 1