The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

6 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

10 shots in 7 regular season games and 6 of them came in the same game, what the hell is he doing out there? 

@canuckledraggin  Buddy lay off the minuses, would ya?  Are you mad that I made you look like a fool in our last argument, you couldn't take it so now you just go around giving me negative rep points?

When you say negative things you should expect negative reputation. I don't recall feeling foolish about bringing some evidence in the form of an actual eyewitness account. You post stats to promote your argument about and you never shut up about Virtanen. Did the kid sleep with your sister or something?

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

Last night (or maybe the game before) he had ZERO goals, ZERO assists, ZERO shots.  Yikes.

One point (an assist) in his first five games played with ZERO penalty minutes. Miserable stats for a power-forward. He's either very disciplined or very disinterested.

I have a feeling we may not see him again this year, which isn't a bad thing.

Regular Season
Season Team GP G A PTS +/- SH PIM SOG SOA SOGW SO%
2016-17 Regular Season Utica Comets 5 0 1 1 1 8 0 0 0 0 0.0
2015-16 Regular Season Utica Comets 2 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0.0
Total   7 0 1 1 1 10 0 0 0 0 0.0
Playoffs
Season Team GP G A PTS +/- SH PIM SOG SOA SOGW SO%
2015 Calder Cup Playoffs Utica Comets 10 0 1 1 2 11 6 0 0 0 0.0

Total

10 0 1 1 2 11 6 0 0 0 0.0

You want him taking penalties? I never understood this mindset. I can understand wanting him to hit or even fight, but take penalties? 

2 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

You want him taking penalties? I never understood this mindset. I can understand wanting him to hit or even fight, but take penalties? 

I wonder what his eating habits are like down there?  His eating habits were a concern on the big club, weren't they?

22 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

Maybe I should have been more clear. What I meant to say was that with pretty much zero's across the board (had one game with a quite a few shots) I would at least hope a big body like him would at least be involved on the physical side of things. And having him become a physical presence and maybe even playing on the edge on a consistent basis is big part of why he was drafted so high and why he's down in Utica right now.

IMO, playing physically and on the edge means you'll probably get some penalties along the way. I believe most coaches don't mind penalties as long as they're not of the lazy variety. Seeing zero PIM's along with zero goals, zero assists and zero shots after five games makes me wonder what if anything he's doing out there.

Not complaining about his scoring, but I expect to see some PIM's from someone who's game is supposed to be physical and heavy.

Edited by MJDDawg

18 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Maybe I should have been more clear. What I meant to say was that pretty much zero's across the board (had one game with a quite a few shots) I would at least hope a big body like him would at least be involved on the physical side of things. And having him become a physical presence and maybe even playing on the edge on a consistent basis is big part of why he was drafted so high and why he's down in Utica right now. IMO, playing physically and on the edge means you'll probably get some penalties along the way so seeing zero PIM's along with zero goals, zero assists and zero shots after five games makes me wonder what if anything he's doing out there.

He is in Green's hands now. Green could be bag skating him every second day right now.  He is where he needs to be to become the player he is capable of becoming. 

Getting caught up in short term progress in a long term project is a recipe for madness. Jake should have been down there since he puck drop this year. 

He is having to adjust and I have a suspicion that Green may be have to tear him down and rebuild Jakes game. I don't know how much room Jake has in his head, but WD filled it up with playing safe. Jake needs to play with 'controlled' reckless abandon to be a success. 

Don't expect much till Green has had some time with him. 

EW

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Maybe I should have been more clear. What I meant to say was that with pretty much zero's across the board (had one game with a quite a few shots) I would at least hope a big body like him would at least be involved on the physical side of things. And having him become a physical presence and maybe even playing on the edge on a consistent basis is big part of why he was drafted so high and why he's down in Utica right now.

IMO, playing physically and on the edge means you'll probably get some penalties along the way. I believe most coaches don't mind penalties as long as they're not of the lazy variety. Seeing zero PIM's along with zero goals, zero assists and zero shots after five games makes me wonder what if anything he's doing out there.

Not complaining about his scoring, but I expect to see some PIM's from someone who's game is supposed to be physical and heavy.

I see your point. 0 PIM almost implies 0 involvement, which isn't a good thing. I'd be curious to see his hit totals to see if they'd tell a different story or not.

• Upvote 1

Other than a few hits JV hasn't shown any flashes. It's like he was just glad he got drafted and now doesn't give a f.

His attitude and commitment to the game needs work. It's all mental for this guy.  

I fault JB and Willie too though. JB brought him up a year too early and Willie only plays the guy on the goddamn 4th line. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/11/2016 at 7:00 PM, Zhukini said:

Dave Tomlinson has noted that there have been a few times this season where Jake has been seen being the last one on the ice for practise, and the first one off it. Almost being late once.

if that's not laziness then what is?

IF true, those are horrible optics.

If I got dropped into a Canucks practice today I would be horrible, screwing up drills and whatever else they do  right and left, the one thing I would probably do right is the easyest thing to not screw up, be first on and last off.

If a fan knows to do that then an NHL player in the doghouse has no excuse not to, he knows people are watching

On 11/18/2016 at 7:31 PM, The 5th Line said:

Send me the hockeyDB of this "elite skating powerforward" that you played with.  What level of hockey did you play?

Yeah,

I didn't know everyone here but me is supposed to have played with "Elite  skating power forwards" now I feel left out

Would someone mind loaning me their " "Elite  skating power forward" for an afternoon? just so I can say I did?

On 11/20/2016 at 10:00 AM, Alflives said:

We have room on the Canucks for a small playmaker.  Right now he looks good with JV, so maybe both should just stay in Utica?

If Valk can't skate then fine. But I seem to remember that he could hang in training camp so......

WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU JB?! SKILL! SKILL! SKILL! IT"S RIGHT UNDER YOUR GODDAMN NOSE! SHOULD THE LEAFS SEND NYLANDER TO THE ECHL?!?!

SIGN THIS KID AND GET HIM UP HERE!!! WE HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE!!!! HE CAN FRIGGING SCORE YOU DUNCE!

11 minutes ago, terrible.dee said:

If Valk can't skate then fine. But I seem to remember that he could hang in training camp so......

WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU JB?! SKILL! SKILL! SKILL! IT"S RIGHT UNDER YOUR GODDAMN NOSE! SHOULD THE LEAFS SEND NYLANDER TO THE ECHL?!?!

SIGN THIS KID AND GET HIM UP HERE!!! WE HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE!!!! HE CAN FRIGGING SCORE YOU DUNCE!

Are you a TAD frustrated with our management?  At least we have a top coach.<_<

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

I wonder what his eating habits are like down there?  His eating habits were a concern on the big club, weren't they?

Maybe one of the Utica folks here could give us a rundown on the local restaurant scene. Without the Roxy and Justin Bieber concerts in his life I sure hope he doesn't become a foodie or something.

3 hours ago, appleboy said:

He is not producing big points but he can't be hurting them because they have not lost since he returned. I think there is more to Jakes game then you might think.

Thing that bothers he hasn't had 1 hit since he was sent down, for a guy who is supposed to get his game going that;s a bit concerning.