The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

6 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Virtanen's assist last night:

I think he's playing on the first line alongside Valk and Archibald. Valk's impressive, I must say.

Valk is on an AHL contract, so the Canucks need to sign him.  He's got something like 9 points in 3 games.  JV creates huge space for Valk.  JV is so big and fast he pushes the d back on the rush, and occupies two and three guys in the o zone.   

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Valk is on an AHL contract, so the Canucks need to sign him.  He's got something like 9 points in 3 games.  JV creates huge space for Valk.  JV is so big and fast he pushes the d back on the rush, and occupies two and three guys in the o zone.   

Valk is one of those Medicine Hat Tiger boys.  He scored 46 and 47 goals in his final 2 seasons there but remained undrafted.  He is small.  The 23 year old is 5'9" 170 but played well enough at the Canucks training camp in 2014 to earn a 1 year minor league contract.  To date he has played mostly in Kalamazoo.  Last year he was a point a game player in the ECHL netting 16-17-33 in 30 games.  This year he leads the Comets in goals with 7-5-12 in 14 games.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Valk is one of those Medicine Hat Tiger boys.  He scored 46 and 47 goals in his final 2 seasons there but remained undrafted.  He is small.  The 23 year old is 5'9" 170 but played well enough at the Canucks training camp in 2014 to earn a 1 year minor league contract.  To date he has played mostly in Kalamazoo.  Last year he was a point a game player in the ECHL netting 16-17-33 in 30 games.  This year he leads the Comets in goals with 7-5-12 in 14 games.

He's only 22 or 23 I believe. Can see him getting a contract if he continues his play throughout the whole season.

5 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

We have room on the Canucks for a small playmaker.  Right now he looks good with JV, so maybe both should just stay in Utica?

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

We have room on the Canucks for a small playmaker.  Right now he looks good with JV, so maybe both should just stay in Utica?

Ya, he's a shorter version of Mich Marner.  If you're that small, your skills have to be exceptional.  Merely good, and he stays in the AHL.   /s

Besides, the Canucks are short on size up front.  Horvat would be the only one over 200 lbs who gets more than 4th line minutes.  This is why there was the internal debate (we assume) on whether to keep Virtanen up or do what was right and send him down to develop.

Edited by Crabcakes
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Ya, he's a shorter version of Mich Marner.  If you're that small, your skills have to be exceptional.  Merely good, and he stays in the AHL.

Besides, the Canucks are short on size up front.  Horvat would be the only one over 200 lbs who gets more than 4th line minutes.  This is why there was the internal debate (we assume) on whether to keep Virtanen up or do what was right and send him down to develop.

Sorry I don't think he is really close to Marner. Marner is a first overall talent and looks like the next Kane/Giroux. Valk is much more of an uncertainty and doesn't really have the high end skills Marner has.

2 hours ago, GoBoGo53 said:

Sorry I don't think he is really close to Marner. Marner is a first overall talent and looks like the next Kane/Giroux. Valk is much more of an uncertainty and doesn't really have the high end skills Marner has.

Sorry, should have put a little /s at the end for sarcasm alert.  I'll fix that now :)

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You know who else was a ppg player at a young age in the A?  Linden friggin Vey.  Patience.

Didnt Bo Horvat have 0 points in 5  AHL games, that was a stint that followed a mediocre WJC appearance.  I remember lots of the locals were writing him off or lamenting about nichushkin...

• Upvote 1

Last night (or maybe the game before) he had ZERO goals, ZERO assists, ZERO shots.  Yikes.

One point (an assist) in his first five games played with ZERO penalty minutes. Miserable stats for a power-forward. He's either very disciplined or very disinterested.

I have a feeling we may not see him again this year, which isn't a bad thing.

Regular Season
Season Team GP G A PTS +/- SH PIM SOG SOA SOGW SO%
2016-17 Regular Season Utica Comets 5 0 1 1 1 8 0 0 0 0 0.0
2015-16 Regular Season Utica Comets 2 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0.0
Total   7 0 1 1 1 10 0 0 0 0 0.0
Playoffs
Season Team GP G A PTS +/- SH PIM SOG SOA SOGW SO%
2015 Calder Cup Playoffs Utica Comets 10 0 1 1 2 11 6 0 0 0 0.0

Total

10 0 1 1 2 11 6 0 0 0 0.0