The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

On 11/17/2016 at 1:25 AM, Mathew Barzal said:

I wish there was a way to show him what Tkachuk is doing right now. Literally the player I envisioned Virtanen being.

A goal scoring, $&!# disturber going balls to the wall every shift.

honestly, Tkackuk is the player I envisioned Tkackuk being.

On 11/16/2016 at 4:32 PM, The 5th Line said:

Yeah I was surprised how good he looked in that highlight package but he still has an immense amount of maturing to do.  He has teammates wide open at the side of the net and he just shoots it, his head is down and he has severe tunnel vision.  You can't be a one man show in the show

Ryan Kesler invented tunnel vision! Apparently, Kesler's excuse was that he grew up near highways in Michigan where they had many signs that said "Do Not Pass".

Watching Comets game.  They are losing 2-0, but JV looks really good.  He's so bloody big and fast he creates every time on the ice.  He's defensively the first forward back too.  He's WAY TOO GOOD for that league.  This demotion must be a fitness thing.

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Watching Comets game.  They are losing 2-0, but JV looks really good.  He's so bloody big and fast he creates every time on the ice.  He's defensively the first forward back too.  He's WAY TOO GOOD for that league.  This demotion must be a fitness thing.

That's good to hear.  So you think it's a question of effort for Jake?  

Or a question of not being intimidated by NHL players?

Edited by Crabcakes

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I can't agree with that, there's plenty to critique in his game. Like in the 1st period when the teams are 4 on 4 and he's defending in his own zone. The puck carrier was slowly moving into the middle of the ice and Jake, standing right in front of him, was slowly backing up and surrendering the center.

His speed definitely sets him apart in this league and it will allow him to try more creative plays like the wraparound attempts he made tonight. Being on the 1st line with Valk and Archie, playing big minutes and getting 2nd unit PP time is exactly where he needs to be and what he needs to be doing.

You're probably right about his conditioning and that's a result of not getting minutes with the Canucks, It will be another bonus for him to play his way into game shape, as well as getting proper personalized coaching that WD and crew either isn't willing or capable of providing.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

I can't agree with that, there's plenty to critique in his game. Like in the 1st period when the teams are 4 on 4 and he's defending in his own zone. The puck carrier was slowly moving into the middle of the ice and Jake, standing right in front of him, was slowly backing up and surrendering the center.

His speed definitely sets him apart in this league and it will allow him to try more creative plays like the wraparound attempts he made tonight. Being on the 1st line with Valk and Archie, playing big minutes and getting 2nd unit PP time is exactly where he needs to be and what he needs to be doing.

You're probably right about his conditioning and that's a result of not getting minutes with the Canucks, It will be another bonus for him to play his way into game shape, as well as getting proper personalized coaching that WD and crew either isn't willing or capable of providing.

He didn't get any points tonight but Valk had 3 so Jake must have been doing something right. 

It is the right move sending him down.

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

He didn't get any points tonight but Valk had 3 so Jake must have been doing something right. 

It is the right move sending him down.

You are 200% correct.  Jake's presence creates space.  Plus his speed forces the d to back off the blue line.  Valk gets a lot more room because of JV.  There are some posters here who clearly never played with an elite skating power forward, so they have no clue that type of player's contributions.  That's okay though.  Alf still loves them, even though they really don't know the game as well as they think they do.  

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

Send me the hockeyDB of this "elite skating powerforward" that you played with.  What level of hockey did you play?

I never said I played hockey.  I stated here before, I played elite dodge-ball: grade 9 mixed intermurral champions 2 years in a row.  (I got held back, so I could lead a second team to the big prize) :lol:  

4 minutes ago, baumerman77 said:

So that brings Virtanen's AHL carrer total to 2 assists 0 goals and 2 points in 16 games. 

In 6 career AHL games he has 1 point. In 10 AHL playoff games he has 1 point.

1 minute ago, baumerman77 said:

I'm not writing him off. Rather I am disappointed by his post draft development thus far; especially compared to others in his cohort.

Can't argue with that.  I have watched all three of his recent AHL games, and he's looked good.  Not great, but good.  He's using his speed and size in all three zones, and is holding on to the puck to make plays.  I hope JB just leaves Jake down for this season.  

Do you think JB brings JV back up?