The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Someone either an AHL vet or coaching staff in Utica needs to talk to the kid with no BS, tell him if he doesn't step the &^@# up he's never gonna get another chance in the show. Show him that not all top 10 picks make it in the NHL as successful players and if he doesn't step his game up he's gonna end up on that list of biggest draft busts, tell Jake that he needs to learn what it takes to make it big because he's not at all on the right track. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, numb3r 16 said:

Someone either an AHL vet or coaching staff in Utica needs to talk to the kid with no BS, tell him if he doesn't step the &^@# up he's never gonna get another chance in the show. Show him that not all top 10 picks make it in the NHL as successful players and if he doesn't step his game up he's gonna end up on that list of biggest draft busts, tell Jake that he needs to learn what it takes to make it big because he's not at all on the right track. 

Jake needs to be a professional off the ice, before he will be good on the ice.  He needs to change his diet, get NHL fit, and always get proper rest.  

51 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jake needs to be a professional off the ice, before he will be good on the ice.  He needs to change his diet, get NHL fit, and always get proper rest.  

when I saw him being benched on occasion  when he played for the Hitmen...the thought crossed my mind there might be something going on with this kid.

It seems that ever since his shoulder injury his game has suffered..the hitting is almost gone.

Edited by ShakyWalton

48 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He's a big nightlife connesieur to put it politely. So is Evander Kane. Some guys just don't get it, lets hope it's not like that for Jake.

• Upvote 1

There is plenty to be critical in Jake's game, but if the analysis is all negative and analogies like mica thin ice and questions about his humility and entitlement creep into the discussion, then there is too much emotion and hyperbole being brought in for the sake of exaggeration. I understand UticaHockey's frustration, because that's his team and they're on a 9 game losing skid, but guess what, that's going to get much worse once Benning's draft picks all arrive in Utica at the same time next year. Coach Green will be gone and there will be a mandate to develop Canucks' prospects, so unless Demko turns into a game changer (he has shown flashes of it), Utica will be in tough to win games next year as well. At least Negrin will be gone...hope hope.

Consistency is the biggest hurdle at the moment for JV. I was looking forward to seeing him continue his aggressive play that I had seen in the game before and after the break, but he didn't have the same intensity this weekend. Playing with different linemates each week is a good learning experience for him as well, and after this weekend he has played with every center on the team.

The 2 main things that I would tell him to work on are his shift changes and his positioning. It does seem like he is sprinting off of the ice because some imaginary alarm is going off telling him that he should change. It doesn't really look like  a conditioning thing, but someone from Utica would have a better idea of how he looks on the bench after a shift. The other thing is positioning, I think he needs to be less concerned about it than he is. There's only one puck on the ice and he should be using his speed to get to it 1st more often than he is. 

He has over 100 AHL games left until he's waiver eligible, so I'd say we're a ways away from the panic button just yet.  

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

You can tell from his interviews and the 'getting to know X' type profiles that he's a complete moron.

Which is okay, because a lot of excellent NHL players are, they just need to learn how to be a moron with a work ethic.

It would still be a 6 team league if there was an IQ test.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

There is plenty to be critical in Jake's game, but if the analysis is all negative and analogies like mica thin ice and questions about his humility and entitlement creep into the discussion, then there is too much emotion and hyperbole being brought in for the sake of exaggeration. I understand UticaHockey's frustration, because that's his team and they're on a 9 game losing skid, but guess what, that's going to get much worse once Benning's draft picks all arrive in Utica at the same time next year. Coach Green will be gone and there will be a mandate to develop Canucks' prospects, so unless Demko turns into a game changer (he has shown flashes of it), Utica will be in tough to win games next year as well. At least Negrin will be gone...hope hope.

Consistency is the biggest hurdle at the moment for JV. I was looking forward to seeing him continue his aggressive play that I had seen in the game before and after the break, but he didn't have the same intensity this weekend. Playing with different linemates each week is a good learning experience for him as well, and after this weekend he has played with every center on the team.

The 2 main things that I would tell him to work on are his shift changes and his positioning. It does seem like he is sprinting off of the ice because some imaginary alarm is going off telling him that he should change. It doesn't really look like  a conditioning thing, but someone from Utica would have a better idea of how he looks on the bench after a shift. The other thing is positioning, I think he needs to be less concerned about it than he is. There's only one puck on the ice and he should be using his speed to get to it 1st more often than he is. 

He has over 100 AHL games left until he's waiver eligible, so I'd say we're a ways away from the panic button just yet.  

I wrote a post earlier and forgot to submit it. Checked back an hour later and you've hit on many of the points I was going to make (actually scary in how similar they were in a couple instances). So I'm deleting my post and giving you a +1. :)

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Down by the River said:

You can tell from his interviews and the 'getting to know X' type profiles that he's a complete moron.

Which is okay, because a lot of excellent NHL players are, they just need to learn how to be a moron with a work ethic.

Entertaining comment. Worth +! for the entertainment value. But it is even better to have a good work ethic and NOT be a moron. Guys like the Sedins, Horvat, Stecher, and Burrows have a good work ethic and were mature and smart even as young guys.

And Benning has emphasized the importance of "character" and, in general, his draft picks have shown that. JV is kind of an exception. I think the "local kid" effect just outweighed the "lack of maturity" factor.

Edited by JamesB

8 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Entertaining comment. Worth +! for the entertainment value. But it is even better to have a good work and NOT be a moron. Guys like the Sedins, Horvat, Stecher, and Burrows have a good work ethic and were mature and smart even as young guys.

And Benning has emphasized the importance of "character" and, in general, his draft picks have shown that. JV is kind of an exception. I think the "local kid" effect just outweighed the "lack of maturity" factor.

I've taken some heat for it on this board before, but I'll say it again: personality does not tend to change too much after 18 and especially not after the early 20s. We will have to wait a few years to see if JV's problem is related to maturity or personality... but I kind of suspect it is the latter, in which case we will not see the type of improvement we hoped for. 

You make a good point about the contradiction between Benning's emphasis on character and the subsequent drafting of JV. You could pick out JVs issues within a couple minutes, so it wasn't as if Benning an co. would have missed this in their interviews. 

43 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I've taken some heat for it on this board before, but I'll say it again: personality does not tend to change too much after 18 and especially not after the early 20s. We will have to wait a few years to see if JV's problem is related to maturity or personality... but I kind of suspect it is the latter, in which case we will not see the type of improvement we hoped for. 

You make a good point about the contradiction between Benning's emphasis on character and the subsequent drafting of JV. You could pick out JVs issues within a couple minutes, so it wasn't as if Benning an co. would have missed this in their interviews. 

this kid is not getting the message. He has the hodgson, kassian feel and and we should package him off with one of our young d men to get a legit top line winger.

Hansen+ Virtanen + Hutton for Duchenne and 2017 2nd

we need a top 6 counterman to take over from Hank, and to complement Bo

I am, however in favour of a larger deal:

To COL

Sbisa

Granlund

Sutter

Virtanen

subban

To VAN

Duchenne

Landescog

Landescog Duchenne Ericksson

Bartschi Horvat Hansen

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Megan Gaunce Skille

Edler stretcher

Hutton Tanev

Tryamkin Gudbranson

that team could make the playoffs for sure

Edited by Canucks Curse
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I disagree about personality does not change as much past 18 and early 20s. 

I would argur quite the opposite actually. 

Without going into full depth it does seem like Jake is still kind of a teenager so the case might apply to him. 

My point was off topic basically implying that not everyone is the same. 

I myself am a different person than I was a couple years ago. 

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

I disagree about personality does not change as much past 18 and early 20s. 

I would argur quite the opposite actually. 

Without going into full depth it does seem like Jake is still kind of a teenager so the case might apply to him. 

My point was off topic basically implying that not everyone is the same. 

I myself am a different person than I was a couple years ago. 

There are decades and decades of research that contrasts with your opinion. 

We might be in disagreement simply because we both define personality differently. That you are different in how you act/behave does not mean your personality has not remained relatively constant. This is what is known as heterotypic continuity. The same personality traits manifest in different ways at different stages of life.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

There are decades and decades of research that contrasts with your opinion. 

We might be in disagreement simply because we both define personality differently. That you are different in how you act/behave does not mean your personality has not remained relatively constant. This is what is known as heterotypic continuity. The same personality traits manifest in different ways at different stages of life.

I could be mixing up attitude and personality. 

Either way there could major events in life that give you more perspective on things. Things like having kids, getting married or (if you want to be extreme) experiencing a traumatic event can and does change you, for better or worse. 

I feel that peoples perspectives, attitudes and personalities can change. Just depends the person and what happens down the road for them. 

I do agree with you somewhat with the fact that, at first glance, Jake does seem to lack maturity. Whether or not that changes, for better or worse, I don't know but I am open to the possibility. 

It would take something significant to happen. For Kassian it was crashing his car. Who knows what it would take for Jake.  

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I could be mixing up attitude and personality. 

Either way there could major events in life that give you more perspective on things. Things like having kids, getting married or (if you want to be extreme) experiencing a traumatic event can and does change you, for better or worse. 

I feel that peoples perspectives, attitudes and personalities can change. Just depends the person and what happens down the road for them. 

I do agree with you somewhat with the fact that, at first glance, Jake does seem to lack maturity. Whether or not that changes, for better or worse, I don't know but I am open to the possibility. 

It would take something significant to happen. For Kassian it was crashing his car. Who knows what it would take for Jake.  

But I'm not actually sure that it is a lack of maturity. Personality and maturation are different. Maturation, by definition, changes. Personality, by definition, does not change.

Kassian is a great example of how someone behaved differently, but it was not due to a change in personality. Kassian needed that 'turning point' to change, but for him, the turning point was related to substance abuse. Kassian is likely the same person, but how his personality traits manifest into different behaviors has changed because he is now sober and healthy.

Having kids and getting married can change your perspective on life, but usually those who experience this life-altering experience have the type of personality that makes them open to making changes. The five-factor model of personality is over-simplified, but one of its core traits is 'openness'. That is, people are willing to change, try new things, etc. So, people can change, but they usually need a specific type of personality traits before they change. 

On 12/31/2016 at 2:47 PM, Warhippy said:

Well see.  That was easy.

Soooo much could be avoided if people just do this simple thing.

Back up their statements 

You sir are the real mvp

I remember hearing that .  Bo is worth more is so many ways. 

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

This has to be one of the dumbest posts I have ever read.  You signed up for this forum, this forum consists of fans sharing opinions, what the hell do you expect?  

Anybody with a little bit of basic hockey knowledge could tell you that Virtanen is not a 6th overall talent. I think you are the one who is clueless.

A few players will bust every draft year.  Looking back at the 2014 first round, other than Conner Bleakley, Jake has been the most disappointing being outscored at the AHL level by EVERY other forward taken in that first round.  Even Michael Dal Colle who was rumored in trades for his lack of progression is scoring at a higher PPG rate than Virtanen.   It was a god awful pick from the get go and rushing him only made matters worse.  I have never seen a player with such a lack of understanding for the game, it has been pathetic to watch.  With a bunged up shoulder to boot

Wow 5th line calling me stupid that is awesome. 2 years into his career and Virtanen is a bust. I love your little bit of hockey Knowledge. Lets just give up on every developing player two years into their career, because you know two years tells you the whole story.

Edited by vancan2233