The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 hour ago, Beary Sweet said:

Great to see Jake get an apple last night against a tough Marlies team. didnt register any shots but if he starts to get those shots and aim them for the top corner, he will find himself on the scoresheet more often than not

he's got a good heavy shot for sure. needs to work on it more this off-season, so that he's ready to get going next year with Utica. 

without a doubt in my mind, I think Jake needs another season down in the A, for consistency's sake, and for confidence. he's been torn down, and being rebuilt up. confidence is a finnicky thing. Jake should be by far the most confident player on the ice, but sometimes his play says otherwise. I'm glad, however, that he's making small steps in growth and improvements. Hope he picks up points more consistently soon. At least his defensive game is getting better. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

As a longtime and passionate Canucks fan who takes a great deal of interest in our prospect pool, I strongly recommend listening to Benning and more importantly, Coach Green whenever they're being interviewed. They see the pro prospects on a regular basis. It's easy to base our opinions from the Vancouver sports media. However, the best and most insightful info comes from those who personally know and deal with these young men. When I hear that Coach Green being pleased with Jake's attitude, that's progress right there.

attitude is huge, i agree. and if Green is pleased with Jake's attitude and hopefully work ethic, that's growth personally, and hopefully that leads to his professional growth as well. Big off-season for Jake, he needs to be progressing into next season, not regressing. 

Lol @ posters complaining about negative opinions of Jake.

It's as if they fail to realize that this thread would be dead without that kind of debate. Jake is doing next to nothing down in Utica. We'd be looking at a thread akin to that of McEneny's... except with even less updates. 

But I guess the holier than thou persona is in style along certain posters. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

As a longtime and passionate Canucks fan who takes a great deal of interest in our prospect pool, I strongly recommend listening to Benning and more importantly, Coach Green whenever they're being interviewed. They see the pro prospects on a regular basis. It's easy to base our opinions from the Vancouver sports media. However, the best and most insightful info comes from those who personally know and deal with these young men. When I hear Coach Green being pleased with Jake's attitude, that's progress right there.

I agree. However its progress that doesn't need to be progress. We should not have to be happy with the fact that his attitude has improved. I guess thats just where we are at with Jake andI for one am willing to be patient kids got all the tools heres to hoping he figures it out.

4 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

As a longtime and passionate Canucks fan who takes a great deal of interest in our prospect pool, I strongly recommend listening to Benning and more importantly, Coach Green whenever they're being interviewed. They see the pro prospects on a regular basis. It's easy to base our opinions from the Vancouver sports media. However, the best and most insightful info comes from those who personally know and deal with these young men. When I hear Coach Green being pleased with Jake's attitude, that's progress right there.

Great point. As media goes, unless it's coming from Ferraro or Tomlinson I don't pay attention to it, it's just noise.

I believe Green has said Jake is playing better and progressing with his understanding of how to play the pro game. Sounds encouraging to me.

My only real regret is that we pushed him into the lineup prematurely last year. This should really have been his first pro season.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

Great point. As media goes, unless it's coming from Ferraro or Tomlinson I don't pay attention to it, it's just noise.

I believe Green has said Jake is playing better and progressing with his understanding of how to play the pro game. Sounds encouraging to me.

My only real regret is that we pushed him into the lineup prematurely last year. This should really have been his first pro season.

I wonder if JB would do the same thing with Jake, even if he knew how these two years were going to go. Just how bad did JB think the Calgary Hitman situation was?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

I wonder if JB would do the same thing with Jake, even if he knew how these two years were going to go. Just how bad did JB think the Calgary Hitman situation was?

Maybe it was the off ice stuff Jake was getting into in Calgary?  

54 minutes ago, gurn said:

They're owned by the Flames.  You may think they're above screwing with him, but apparently Weisbrod didn't.

7 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

I've suggested before that we should have a "Prospect Hate/Regret" thread, so that all the Ehlers, Nylander, Konecny, and Tkachuk envyers can remorse and wring hands, sobbing together while holding each other ever so tenderly in private.  The pollution in these threads makes them near-unbearable.

The sad part is that those guys shouldn't even be discussed in the same conversation as Virtanen. Even if you look in the next tier of prospects, guys like Vrana, Svechnikov, Scherbak, Barbashev, Kapanen etc, you will find that all these guys have surpassed JV. These guys are contributing to their AHL teams in substantial ways. Meanwhile we are celebrating JV's biggest accomplishment this year which is losing 13 pounds. Gaunce went down and in one weekend accomplished what JV had in the past month.

I want to comment on the apparent divide between "Jakers" and "non-Jakers". Guys like 5thLine aren't being dubious dickweeds about Jake's development in the way that people seem to think they are. As mentioned a few posts above, it's good to temper one's expectations, and the most common route to this is contrarian thought. Hype a prospect. Demean him. End up somewhere in the middle. This is a dialectic we should value.

I strongly oppose who vehemently some of the community has reacted to "negative" commentary. Perspective is just that. At minimum, we can all respect that, and why wouldn't we want to?

As an addendum, I think Jake is doing fine. I expect a middle six winger with maybe four or so twenty goal seasons. Not a world beater, but an occasional game breaker. Maybe, just maybe, he becomes a key piece of a cup run. That alone would make it worth it.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

Perlini scored his 9th tonight and that Alex Tuch is putting up some solid numbers down in the A.  6'4 220 !  Big boy and a right handed shot to boot

Jake needs to step it up quickly before the 2014 3rd round selections start catching up to him.  I wanna see him drop the gloves or something, show some emotion, some frustration or maybe score a goal that would be nice too

I wonder if they asked Jake to stop hitting on account of his shoulder. I remember him last season and he used to genuinely love playing physical. That aspect of his game has been missing this year. Sometimes I wonder if the Canucks did not give enough consideration to his shoulder troubles at the draft.

53 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Paranoid delusional insecure egomaniac child. People are following you around these forums, or are people calling you out on your hate for the Canucks players? There's no other way of looking at .

Nice tantrum, and you accuse others of being a child. You may not enjoy objectivity but that does not mean that others have to follow your example. Being honest about a player's capabilities is not "hate", its just reality.

When I have watched, Boeser, Juolevi, Demko they have impressed with their play. I have high hopes for them. JV on the other hand has consistently disappointed. I can't pretend he is amazing just because that's what some on here would like to hear and neither should anyone else.

Edited by Toews

4 minutes ago, Toews said:

Nice tantrum, and you accuse others of being a child. You may not enjoy objectivity but that does not mean that others have to follow your example. Being honest about a player's capabilities is not "hate", its just reality.

When I have watched, Boeser, Juolevi, Demko they have impressed with their play. I have high hopes for them. JV on the other hand has consistently disappointed. I can't pretend he is amazing just because that's what some on here would like to hear and neither should anyone else.

I don't think anyone here, regardless of how optimistic they are, is saying he has been amazing, they are just not writing him off as a prospect like some others are. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Oh stop it.  If you hated me that much you would just ignore me.  Same goes for the rest of you that follow me around these forums, clearly you guys love me at least a little bit.

My comments come off as "wet sharts" because Jakes play has been one big WET SHART.  I'm not hating, I love all the Canuck players and I hope they all do well.  

I'm not breaking any rules so stop bothering me just because I leave comments that you guys don't want to hear.  

you LITERALLY stated you hoped he failed and showed the world how shoddy the pick Benning made was because Ehlers would hav been a better choice.

Enough said.  We don't follow you around, you're like a train wreck.  We can't help but stare in pity.

There is actual criticism, about his game play, shift by shift; his weaknesses and how to actually correct them

Then there's you.  For every 12 posts ripping JV without substance you post 1 piddly "I hope he does ok" now watch me make a highlight reel of me going bar down blah blah blah"

It's sad, it's pathetic and if it wasn't so absolutely regular you'd be as forgotten as Stojanov and just as quickly too

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Toews said:

now THAT is criticism.  It's vastly different than the vitriol spewed by another person.

I don't give up supporting our prospects.  I was even behind Schroeder until the moment he was waived and it was apparent there was nothing anyone here could do to help him progress.  JV is a 2-4 year project.  Not exactly a big deal when you look at the time frame of our rebuild and how long the influx of actual new talent and not just plgs will take

By all accounts he's progressing well, is learning the defensive side of the game very capably and if Green/Linden/JB are to be listened too, will be progressing to more offensive duties soon and is learning the little things he needs to be successful.  Until then, I will enjoy Tryamkin, Demko etc from that draft and not worry 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Warhippy said:

now THAT is criticism.  It's vastly different than the vitriol spewed by another person.

I don't give up supporting our prospects.  I was even behind Schroeder until the moment he was waived and it was apparent there was nothing anyone here could do to help him progress.  JV is a 2-4 year project.  Not exactly a big deal when you look at the time frame of our rebuild and how long the influx of actual new talent and not just plgs will take

By all accounts he's progressing well, is learning the defensive side of the game very capably and if Green/Linden/JB are to be listened too, will be progressing to more offensive duties soon and is learning the little things he needs to be successful.  Until then, I will enjoy Tryamkin, Demko etc from that draft and not worry 

I'd define Benning's and Linden's comments as nothing more than lip service. When asked about Jake, I HIGHLY doubt they'd throw him under the bus. 

Sometimes what is said to the media isn't always the truth. And sometimes personally tuning in to watch him play is the best way of seeing his "progress" for yourself. 

• Upvote 1