The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

6 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Well yeah maybe. You have to actually do something on the ice to help win Championships. 14 points in 51 games and -8, I don't think we should hold our breath. There is still a hell of a lot of work to be done on this kid.

it's still early stages for young Jake. I know statistically it doesn't look appealing, but he's making progress, and that's what I wanted to see out of him this year. If his game (when he got sent down) was still the same today, then yes, rant all you want - hell - I'd be ranting too, because of his lack of progress. But I'm still holding out hope that he's going to continue to make progress. and yes, that means that there is a very real possibility of being disappointed and hurt that he doesn't turn out to be the kind of player I was hoping he could be. But hey, that's what it means to be a fan, right? 

10 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Comets are losing 2-0 in Bridgeport late in the first period and Jake is already a -2. OUCH.

Played pretty well so far actually. Neither goal was his fault in my opinion. He's been dangerous in the offensive end on the cycle and on the rush, might have hit a post.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

says who? Whos the last power forward with size and a mean streak after Lucic to win the cup?

So many PWFs have helped their teams win Cups and not just Lucic. After him, there have been players like Brown who have helped the Kings lead to a couple of Cups. The Hawks had a player like Sadd couple years ago who also did the same. For the Pens last year, it would have to be Rust. There have been a few and I'm sure there's been others who have been integral in leading the team to the Cup. Jake won't turn out to be anything like these players but he will be Jake. He's starting to get in a groove as of late even in games where he has not found the scoresheet. His linemates Kunyk and Valk have been a big factor in why he has been playing so well and they have helped kickstart Jake's game and its led to more opportunities for him to shine. Now when Goldy and Gaunce potentially join them for a playoff run, he might forced to play a middle role but it's okay. If he produces and chips in on the scoreboard, i believe Green will keep giving him ice time and he's earned it. He's worked hard and this is the Jake we've been waiting for and he's starting to take mini steps. Hope he keeps it going

14 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

4 points in his last 7 games. Trending upwards at least in terms of production. I hope he can start to put together a multi-point game - something he has yet to do this season - going into the playoffs. 

He's always been such a streaky player dating all the way back to his Junior days, and hopefully he finishes strong this season.

Although, he has only had 2, let me repeat that, TWO, multi-point games (vs SJS, vs FLA) in the last 2 years. He has yet to have a multi-point game in the AHL this year. Really puts into perspective his struggles in the last 2 years it seems.

I'm really hoping for the best and its looking like it's going to be a long road before Jake becomes an impact player. He needs to show up to camp next year and light the world on fire and play with a Hansen mentality, or he's going to start back in Utica next season. I really think he has a good shot to start the season in Van because Jim loves him so much, but he needs to do his job this summer and really work on his fitness, making quicker decisions and boardplay.

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Now

would we call that a goal scorers goal or label it something else or?

(stirs the pot and leaves thread)

How about a good hard working goal with a perfect shot. Hopefully he keeps it up for the rest of the year and has a strong offseason.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

4 points in his last 7 games. Trending upwards at least in terms of production. I hope he can start to put together a multi-point game - something he has yet to do this season - going into the playoffs. 

He could easily be more than a ppg if his line had better puck luck.  They been the most consistent line for getting chances.