The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

18 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

The 2 of you can keep talking about how out of shape he is..

People talk about how out of shape he was, have not seen any comments on the shape he is in now, because it doesn't matter till/if he comes back.

Also Willie was let go prior to NT leaving so if Willie was the problem Tram would have stayed.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

.. oh look, it’s a 4:20 love fest !!

keep it up you 2 Fuzzy Bears LMAO.

Never thought I’d see an EGO bigger than Willie Desjardins folks,

but here it is...

^^  spoken like your hanging on to them tightly.. don’t hurt yourself with that.. seems like Zepp is willing to coddle?

Tryamkin will return, and if the glimpses of play we have seen from him locally are any indication, He will become an outstanding player in the NHL.

The 2 of you can keep talking about how out of shape he is..

the rest of us will just remember what a crappy Coach Desjardins was.

Ps.  Alfy Boy,   with an Ego like yours you should working in Vancouver Sports Media.. or for God, eh?

Ok, that's it, no more energy drinks for you.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

45 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I am not sure if I know what coddle means to you as I didn't think WD was a great coach for the Canucks so that seems to align with your thinking.   However, the big Russian kid was his own worst enemy and coupling that with his/wife's homesickness it was pretty clear he wasn't ready mentally to be that far from home and commit to being an NHL player (inclusive of learning the ropes).   Per the example of Shea Weber, these kids need to learn at a pace dictated by the coaching staff....EVEN IF THE COACHING STAFF IS WRONG....and to turn your tail and run after one season, particularly when it was clear that the coach himself was in "thin" ice, is more an indictment of lack of commitment from the player than anything to do with the coach.

EVER player runs into a coach they don't align with in their career.   Most don't pack their bags and run home.

Remind me of the example of Shea Weber ... someone in Nashville?

Also, I feel like Goldobin has an excellent sounding board in Larionov...I wish Tryamkin would sign up under him too.

4 minutes ago, nzan said:

Remind me of the example of Shea Weber ... someone in Nashville?

Also, I feel like Goldobin has an excellent sounding board in Larionov...I wish Tryamkin would sign up under him too.

I think he was in Nashville...didn't they trade him?   Hard to tell - seems like he disappeared (lol).

Yup, the big guy could use an agent that has some sound advice for him.   No question.  I think if he doesn't come back to NHL this season or next, he will never come as the work ethic will be toast.

• Upvote 1

I wonder how much of him 'being out of shape' had to do with being newly married ? Have heard that it can be a distraction. Someone asked, earlier in this thread, how is his current fitness level. I think the answer to that question might be what his 'normal' fitness level is. ( edit... @gurn )

Edited by SingleThorn

11 hours ago, gurn said:

People talk about how out of shape he was, have not seen any comments on the shape he is in now, because it doesn't matter till/if he comes back.

Also Willie was let go prior to NT leaving so if Willie was the problem Tram would have stayed.

After landing in Vancouver and 26 hrs of travel, it was reported he went to his accommodations here and then went directly to his first practice..

Uniformed and unfair reports of his physical fitness first surfaced then.

In the few games he played with what was left in that season, personally I thought he played well for a 21 yr old NHL rookie from another continent.

Rumblings persisted into the new season, 22 yrs, a young marriage, sure, I can see him being a step off.

.. But being thrown under the bus, having the Coach speak openly of his opinion to this media, is like throwing gasoline on a fire.

If there was an issue, it could have been handled a little differently, and IF that meant putting on the kid gloves for 3 or 4 weeks you do it.

There is no need to embarrass anyone in this league, especially a 21 yr old who has just come to a new Country and Continent.

it could have been handled differently. Especially with a talent like that.

260 and 6’8?   

Some guys need to strap on a few pounds to understand what that is like to move.

Nik will return, just as he is priming.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I am not sure if I know what coddle means to you as I didn't think WD was a great coach for the Canucks so that seems to align with your thinking.   However, the big Russian kid was his own worst enemy and coupling that with his/wife's homesickness it was pretty clear he wasn't ready mentally to be that far from home and commit to being an NHL player (inclusive of learning the ropes).   Per the example of Shea Weber, these kids need to learn at a pace dictated by the coaching staff....EVEN IF THE COACHING STAFF IS WRONG....and to turn your tail and run after one season, particularly when it was clear that the coach himself was in "thin" ice, is more an indictment of lack of commitment from the player than anything to do with the coach.

EVER player runs into a coach they don't align with in their career.   Most don't pack their bags and run home.

A very young man in a very new Country, on a Continent with so much going on.

Nik will return in his prime, I just wish we could all witness his seasoning.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Heard Pierre McGuire allude to the same as you point out.  Smart and experienced management groups make sure the Russian players’ families are very well looked after, including connecting them to the local Russian community.  It sure sounds like Tryamkin, and his very young wife (who I think became pregnant here?) were not as well supported as they needed to be.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I think you mean Kontinent (sorry, couldn't resist).

So what, no different than it will be for EP this year who will be even younger.   Sorry Sam but professional hockey is a tough business - you are paid VERY well but you have to stick it out and put up with things, on occasion, like a coach who is more demanding of you than you think is fair.   The kid gave it very little chance and ran back home.   He was homesick and his wife didn't like it in Canada - fine and good - but if a raw rookie turned and ran from the NHL every time they felt unfairly treated by a coach, the league would be empty. 

Some guys can man up enough to take any/all criticism and drive themselves to be even better players.   Some guys can't.   I have lots of sympathy for his situation in missing his family and wanting his wife to be happy - I have ZERO empathy that the coaches played any role in this.   Not a hope he is cut out for the NHL if he let the coaching get to him.

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

So what, no different than it will be for EP this year who will be even younger.   Sorry Sam but professional hockey is a tough business - you are paid VERY well but you have to stick it out and put up with things, on occasion, like a coach who is more demanding of you than you think is fair.   The kid gave it very little chance and ran back home.   He was homesick and his wife didn't like it in Canada - fine and good - but if a raw rookie turned and ran from the NHL every time they felt unfairly treated by a coach, the league would be empty. 

Some guys can man up enough to take any/all criticism and drive themselves to be even better players.   Some guys can't.   I have lots of sympathy for his situation in missing his family and wanting his wife to be happy - I have ZERO empathy that the coaches played any role in this.   Not a hope he is cut out for the NHL if he let the coaching get to him.

I think we have a great support system in place for Swedes.  The Nucks messed up with Tryamkin.  They needed to cater to his young wife.  She was (is still likely) the key.  I think even if his team over there folds, he would stay and play for another KHL team, if that’s what his wife wanted. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think we have a great support system in place for Swedes.  The Nucks messed up with Tryamkin.  They needed to cater to his young wife.  She was (is still likely) the key.  I think even if his team over there folds, he would stay and play for another KHL team, if that’s what his wife wanted. 

What precisely do you think the NHL team should have done for his wife Alf?   

When did Tryamkin say that they could smell weed everywhere in Vancouver and where were they?

Just thinking that it may have been around April 20th in the West End.

Regardless, I am one who wants Big Nik back; I think he is a unique player and NHL calibre.

I'd much rather we had him on the team than if we have to play against him.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

How would you compare Russia to Sweden.

... and then, how would, or could you compare Russia to Canada?

Did you know and see everything at 21 years? 

Being groomed to be an elite athlete is one thing,  being one, takes a little more time and the right mentorship.

Seems like the “Coaching” played enough of a role in something that got it dismissed.

.. or are you saying WD should have been behind the bench for his final year of his contract?

Simple question, Why do you think Desjardins was released? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

What precisely do you think the NHL team should have done for his wife Alf?   

What ever it took Zepp.. every player who gets to the NHL has, or has had a support system.

Tryamkin came with nothing.

55 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

How would you compare Russia to Sweden.

... and then, how would, or could you compare Russia to Canada?

Did you know and see everything at 21 years? 

Being groomed to be an elite athlete is one thing,  being one, takes a little more time and the right mentorship.

Seems like the “Coaching” played enough of a role in something that got it dismissed.

.. or are you saying WD should have been behind the bench for his final year of his contract?

Simple question, Why do you think Desjardins was released? 

WD was released for a myriad of reasons that no one will ever fully know unless WD decides to tell people.   IF any player "gives up" after a rookie campaign due to a coach, sorry but that is on the player.   Coaching played zero role in this - if it did, the kid simply wasn't and probably will never be ready for the NHL.   

You tying WD's dismissal together with a kid who got homesick is a reach.   There are more than 30 players that go through any one NHL team in a season - across the entire NHL that is 900 players.   My guess would be, based upon experience (admittedly not vast NHL experience), about 880 of those players would have had issue with how their coach deployed them last year.    Not many ran home as a result.

22 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

What ever it took Zepp.. every player who gets to the NHL has, or has had a support system.

Tryamkin came with nothing.

He came with his wife.   That is a LOT more than most players have.   Neither you nor I will know what the Canucks did or did not do for this (or any) player nor am I entirely clear on what they even can do  under CBA (there are far more "rules" as to how much you can get under the hood with players now both during the season outside of game/practices and during off-season...changes every CBA and gets more restrictive).

I still see this as 100% on the player.   If he had 10 years of NHL experience and was a clearly successful star player, then speak up but as a raw rookie you are supposed to be a sponge and deal with it.   You can bet there were lots of other players in the league as much, and likely far more, "hard done by" in their own minds and who were equally homesick who didn't have a wife for support.   Did they run home?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

WD was released for a myriad of reasons that no one will ever fully know unless WD decides to tell people.   IF any player "gives up" after a rookie campaign due to a coach, sorry but that is on the player.   Coaching played zero role in this - if it did, the kid simply wasn't and probably will never be ready for the NHL.   

You tying WD's dismissal together with a kid who got homesick is a reach.   There are more than 30 players that go through any one NHL team in a season - across the entire NHL that is 900 players.   My guess would be, based upon experience (admittedly not vast NHL experience), about 880 of those players would have had issue with how their coach deployed them last year.    Not many ran home as a result.

5 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He came with his wife.   That is a LOT more than most players have.   Neither you nor I will know what the Canucks did or did not do for this (or any) player nor am I entirely clear on what they even can do  under CBA (there are far more "rules" as to how much you can get under the hood with players now both during the season outside of game/practices and during off-season...changes every CBA and gets more restrictive).

I still see this as 100% on the player.   If he had 10 years of NHL experience and was a clearly successful star player, then speak up but as a raw rookie you are supposed to be a sponge and deal with it.   You can bet there were lots of other players in the league as much, and likely far more, "hard done by" in their own minds and who were equally homesick who didn't have a wife for support.   Did they run home?

Clearly with that type of understanding zepp..  or rather, lack of,.   Is why this situation happened.

Your take I highly doubt to be dis-similar from Desjardins.

... at least we still have the rights to Tryamkin. 

Who politely stated when asked about WD,  that Desjardins was a “Normal person”... and when asked about the New Coach, Travis Green, whom he had met in between seasons in camp, that Green was “a very good person”

After a meeting when Benning asked Nik to go to Utica,  I’m sure I saw a video where Benning said that Nik had brought up valid points to be played ahead of the likes of some of the other D men at that time.  

That was the start of Nik’s first full season with the Canucks, which also was Desjardins last..  the same season when MANY on CDC were questioning the Coaches deployment of players.. or rather, lack of..

deployment that should have happened for a miriad of reasons, for many players, in many situations.. and opportunities lost.

Why on earth, after Tryamkin owned Benn,.  Would Desjardins complain that Tryamkin couldn’t or wouldn’t, or didn’t lace B Marchand?    Did he want his rookie D man to get broken in 2 by Z Chara?

Tryamkin’s a bit smarter than that.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 1