The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

This is huge (pun not entirely unintended).  Exactly what we need, and as I suspected with the signings of Weber and Bartkowski, the expectation since they drafted him -- 2 more years in the KHL then he'd come over.  Last year he was okay, but he has apparently really improved this year.

Excellent. A couple of years under Green and a couple of years to work on his already good skating for a big guy and I think he can turn into an excellent 5-6 defenseman. Him and Petan as a 5-6 combo would be soo freaking awesome. 

Avtomobilist may still make the playoffs. If they do, I'm assuming that Nikita stays. I think playing for his home team in the best league in Europe is much more important to a Russian hockey player than what is going to be more likely a stint with Utica, who aren't a lock to go to their playoffs either. 
That said, if they make the playoffs they won't last past the first round. The playoffs start end of February and last till the start of April. He is most likely to be available start of March. So if I were to expect him to come over it might happen sometime mid or end of March. 

I still think an established KHL player will refuse to play for Utica. The KHL is a better league than the AHL and the difference in salary may be a kick in the nuts for him. It certainly won't be a warm welcome for him to come over and be told he isn't good enough to play with the team that has been trying to get him overseas.

Edited by Brobidus
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Brobidus said:

Avtomobilist may still make the playoffs. If they do, I'm assuming that Nikita stays. I think playing for his home team in the best league in Europe is much more important to a Russian hockey player than what is going to be more likely a stint with Utica, who aren't a lock to go to their playoffs either. 
That said, if they make the playoffs they won't last past the first round. The playoffs start end of February and last till the start of April. He is most likely to be available start of March. So if I were to expect him to come over it might happen sometime mid or end of March. 

I hope your wrong because if its after the trade deadline we will not be able to send him down to the AHL. For example, Zalewski in the 2013-14 season.

Edited by hockeyking
  • Upvote 1

On December 30, 2015 at 1:29 PM, theminister said:

I've got Mar 15 circled on my calendar as the date we might be able to realistically get him over to NA. 

I'd be perfectly fine with giving him a one way contract until the end of the year and putting right into the NHL for the last month. 

Who knows...he could be a revelation and change the plans for our offseason a bit. 

29 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Excellent. A couple of years under Green and a couple of years to work on his already good skating for a big guy and I think he can turn into an excellent 5-6 defenseman. Him and Petan as a 5-6 combo would be soo freaking awesome. 

29 minutes ago, Brobidus said:

I still think an established KHL player will refuse to play for Utica. The KHL is a better league than the AHL and the difference in salary may be a kick in the nuts for him. It certainly won't be a warm welcome for him to come over and be told he isn't good enough to play with the team that has been trying to get him overseas.

I don't think we see him in Utica much, and maybe just for the end of this season.  He's already playing a pro-level game.  He'll go to the Comets for Green and Baumer to get him accustomed to the North American game, but he should have full opportunity to make the team out of training camp come September.  I think all parties understand that, and money-wise he's got all the incentive now to get over here.  They could well just sign him to a one-way deal anyway, and if he's still needing more acclimation he could start next season in Utica until he's ready and be paid the same.

• Upvote 4

The (KHL) money is not an issue,” Tryamkin said with Chibisov translating. “Coming to the NHL is the next step in (my) career. It’s the best league in the world.

I want to come.”

Asked to describe the type of player he is, Tryamkin said:

“I’m a defensive d-man who can join the rush once in a while,” Tryamkin said. “I can handle myself in a fight and protect my teammates.”

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/06/28/canucks-can-draft-russians-again-and-they-get-a-huge-one/

Derek Dorsett preparing text message for Benning...

• Upvote 4

Would be a great idea to bring him over and play him in Utica to finish off the year. He would get his feet wet on NA ice and get more familiar with the tendencies of the team and the system. It would also be great for him to have Pedan help him out while he's getting settled, easier than having nobody to talk to in the Canucks. 

To those saying he projects as a #5/6 Dman, you're wrong. There's high hopes for this guy. His skating is great especially for a big guy so he's fairly mobile, he has a mean streak and a canon of a shot. From the highlights it looks like he reads the play fairly well so while his hockey IQ isn't elite, it's definitely there. The biggest knock on him is his positioning and some gaffs sometimes in the defensive end, but he will find it easier on the smaller ice where there's less space to get lost in. I have high hopes for him to be more than a bottom pairing guy, hope he doesn't disappoint but we should be patient with him and give him at least 2-3 years before we can start truly evaluating what we have in him.