The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

55 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

What a great attitude in a young prospect.  Makes you wonder how/why some kids are like Tryamkin and some turn out like entitled brats (Drouin/Ho-Sang)? 

Pretty much always the answer is parenting whether from the perspective of the qualities instilled at home, to the type of parental influence a coach or coaches have and then to the advice offered by agents and money men. These young guys don't become spoiled rotters on their own very often. But then genuine humility is a getting harder and harder to find in general within our younger generations IMHO.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

What a great attitude in a young prospect.  Makes you wonder how/why some kids are like Tryamkin and some turn out like entitled brats (Drouin/Ho-Sang)? 

I think add Nakushkin to the entitled group.  Love the big Russian Bear, and can't wait to see him paired with Padan.  Watch out!  Grrrrrrr.  :frantic:

• Upvote 3

I looked at the KHL stats for defensemen, this season

http://en.khl.ru/stat/players/309/defenses/

Interesting to note the best....the best D stats belong to Cam Barker.....remember him followed by Kevin Dalman...I vaguely remember him ....I couldn't find Tryamkin, although I'm sure he's there some place....found him 86th in pts.....page 9 for +/- ( it's in reverse order so he's really some where around 210.) I think we best keep our expectations in check

The good news how ever is Philip Larson is 6th O/A for pts and a healthy +9 in his +/-

Edited by Fred65

48 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Interesting to note the best....the best D stats belong to Cam Barker.....remember him followed by Kevin Dalman...I vaguely remember him ....I couldn't find Tryamkin, although I'm sure he's there some place....found him 86th in pts.....page 9 for +/- ( it's in reverse order so he's really some where around 210.) I think we best keep our expectations in check

The good news how ever is Philip Larson is 6th O/A for pts and a healthy +9 in his +/-

Best not to put too much value in comparing KHL/NHL stats - they are essentially apples/oranges.

Remember Steve Moses - don't worry, no one else does either. 

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Best not to put too much value in comparing KHL/NHL stats - they are essentially apples/oranges.

Remember Steve Moses - don't worry, no one else does either. 

Exactly Tryamkin is playing in a league where the best D is Cam Barker ! and Tryamkin is   w a y   behind Mr. Barker how do you expect him to suddenly turn up in camp and exceed expectations.

Sergei Mozyakin, Magnitogorsk
Vadim Shipachev, St. Petersburg

These are the top pts men in the KHL challenging Tryamkin game in game out. There's no Crosby or Ovechkins in this league
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Exactly Tryamkin is playing in a league where the best D is Cam Barker ! and Tryamkin is   w a y   behind Mr. Barker how do you expect him to suddenly turn up in camp and exceed expectations.

These are the top pts men in the KHL challenging Tryamkin game in game out. There's no Crosby or Ovechkins in this league

I think his point is that stats don't matter in the KHL as you think. You have a barely PPG in the KHL player in Kovalchuk, and then you have those 5 guys. Who's the better NHL player? Kovalchuk or Omark?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Good points!!

Its my belief that Tryamkin would be a better defenseman in the NHL than he is in Europe based on the ice size alone.

Trymakins size and reach should help him in taking space away from Crosby and Ovechkin.   Nobody's going to know for sure until somebody try it.  

I doubt Tryamkin plays in the NHL this year.  Hope to see him in Utica and next years preseason though.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rex425 said:

I think his point is that stats don't matter in the KHL as you think. You have a barely PPG in the KHL player in Kovalchuk, and then you have those 5 guys. Who's the better NHL player? Kovalchuk or Omark?

As in most games before you get too excited look at the quality of the opposition. You know ..... like men and boys...that sort of thing. Every one wants this kid   to be the answer to the maidens pray.....every one.... but you can't keep looking through rose coloured glasses. At some point you have to be realistic and ask how good will he be against NHL calibre players. I doubt he comes over and leaves his tax free regime to play in Utica for peanuts. I hope he's  the next Chara but...... I'm sure he's been followed throughout the year but I don't hear much from JB and that's how it should be...cautious. There's an element on this board who are self anointed back slappers and promotion people.

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Scoring isn't the main contribution Tryamkin would be expected to make in the NHL and single season +/- is pretty much totally irrelevant.

I'm not saying Tryamkin is or isn't NHL ready (my guess is that he isn't quite there but might be kept by the Canucks next season anyway.)  To me, playing about 20 min a night on a KHL playoff team (though not a top team) is more of an indication of his progress than goals and assists.  If scoring ability in a lesser league was the main factor for a d-man, Jordan Subban would already be a Canuck regular.

• Upvote 1

This is the guy that Vcr should be pulling all the stops out for

Report: Canucks among several NHL teams scouting pending KHL free agent Nikita Zaitsev
Thomas Drance
October 31 2015 07:32PM

The Vancouver Canucks will be scouting pending KHL free agent Nikita Zaitsev, a physical 24-year-old right-handed shooting defenseman, at a tournament this upcoming week.

They're not going to be the only NHL team with interest though. Not by a long shot.

"There's a Russian prospect coming overseas next year, Nikita Zaitsev," reported Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman during Hockey Night in Canada's 'Headlines' segment. "His agent Todd Diamond said today he's definitely coming over.

"There will be teams going over to see him in a tournament this week: Philadelphia, Toronto, L.A., Vancouver, Calgary are among those teams that have looked into him. And there will be more. Already some teams are going over to meet with him and see where his interests are."

There's a lot to like about Zaitsev's game. He's still in his prime, and he's a thick-bodied defenseman that has produced points at a good rate in the KHL over the past couple of years. He's got a heavy shot, and has NHL-size. And he's available to teams with zero acquisition cost.

Zaitsev will be subject to the entry-level system for one year, so attracting him will require teams to craft a pitch based on 'fit' and 'opportunity', since interested clubs will be unable to materially outbid each other. If the potential bidding war is as intense as it figures to be, then Zaitsev will surely get a max one-year deal with generous performances bonuses.

A young international free agent with Zaitsev's two-way profile may be particularly interesting for the Canucks because of his right-handed shot. The Russian-born defenseman will turn 25-years-old early next season, so he'd be a clear NHL-level signing and based on his 12-goals in 57 KHL contests a year ago, if the Canucks can land Zaitsev, he may make for an intriguing fit on Vancouver's first power-play unit with the Sedin twins.

The PCS model only produces three defenseman as comparable players for Zaitsev, all of them played in the inaugural season of KHL action and none of the three ever played games in the NHL. The lack of current NHL players with a similar track record to Zaitsev's is concerning, although, the lack of comparables is generally a positive indicator and this seems like a unique circumstance because of the KHL's expansion status in 2008.

I can't find any thing to sayif he's already signed....maybe by the Leafs ??????

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

I can't find any thing to sayif he's already signed....maybe by the Leafs ??????

Larsen is outscoring him and is only 2 years older with past NHL experience.

4 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Who cares, how are they with live hand grenades?

9 hours ago, Fred65 said:

While the Leafs are widely rumoured to have the inside track on Zaitsev, it would take some maneuvering to get him signed before April 30, when his KHL contract expires.

17 hours ago, Fred65 said:

As in most games before you get too excited look at the quality of the opposition. You know ..... like men and boys...that sort of thing. Every one wants this kid   to be the answer to the maidens pray.....every one.... but you can't keep looking through rose coloured glasses. At some point you have to be realistic and ask how good will he be against NHL calibre players. I doubt he comes over and leaves his tax free regime to play in Utica for peanuts. I hope he's  the next Chara but...... I'm sure he's been followed throughout the year but I don't hear much from JB and that's how it should be...cautious. There's an element on this board who are self anointed back slappers and promotion people.

Totally agree! Fans can jump to a lot of conclusions on blind hope. IMHO the KHL is not as strong as the AHL for overall skills development. The SEL is even worse so I am not getting overly excited about for Tryamkin, Larson or Rodin. At least Larson and Rodin have NA experience. Next fall will be very interesting for the Canucks.  

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, tyhee said:

Scoring isn't the main contribution Tryamkin would be expected to make in the NHL and single season +/- is pretty much totally irrelevant.

I'm not saying Tryamkin is or isn't NHL ready (my guess is that he isn't quite there but might be kept by the Canucks next season anyway.)  To me, playing about 20 min a night on a KHL playoff team (though not a top team) is more of an indication of his progress than goals and assists.  If scoring ability in a lesser league was the main factor for a d-man, Jordan Subban would already be a Canuck regular.

Yes. If going by a single metric, TOI is probably the most revealing stat when it comes to Dmen.