The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[2015]Should we draft a forward or a stud d-man in first rounder?

BeefGormley

Schroeder was the best player available.

Hodgson was the best player available. Now look what happened. BPA is not all the time the way to go. Maybe in the later rounds.

Draft picks don't come with guarantees. You always draft what you believe to be the best available player. Two to four years down the road when he's ready you can trade what's excess for what's needed.

Then of course there are ufa's. We need a d-man, and if we sign two as ufa's suddenly we don't. We're becoming stocked with decent forward prospects which means a team deep on D could make on offer of quality D prospect for quality forward prospect. You don't know what the need will be two to four years down the road because of these variables.

Why do we need a right winger?

Jensen, Virtanen, and Vey all play right wing. Also Grenier.

The biggest need is by far a number 1 puck mover. Or a skilled number 1 center with size if there's one available.

Virtanen plays more on the left wing than he does the right, Similar to Jensen. That leaves Vey who normally plays C and Jensen and Grenier.

It is not a #1 priority but we aren't exactly deep on RW compared to LW and C.

I wouldn't go after another C unless it is a one of the better ones in the draft like Barzal, Konecny or maybe Zacha. All of which are likely to go top 10.

I am all for a PMD but there are a lot of them in this draft that we could get in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. In fact I believe these early rounds(1-3) are deep on all sorts of defenseman.

What position we pick is probably going to depend on where we draft. I honestly wouldn't be mad if we drafted a RW like Sprong or Rantanen.

The teams that have been winning the Stanley cup lately all have that franchise D man, no one is going to trade us one, we have to get one in the draft or way overpay and empty the cupboard which I don't want to do I really like out forward prospects and our top six is looking pretty good with shinkaruk-McCann-virtanen

Jensen- horvat -kassian

Plus vey, bonino, gaunce, and cassels who could be top 6 players, I think if there is a stud D man like Roy or Werenski you gonna take them unless you think there is a sure thing number one center on the board

I dunno. It depends on who's available.

I don't believe drafting for positional need makes any sense when the person being drafted is 18 or 19 YO and favour taking the best prospect available.

It's really hard to say considering how deep this draft is.
But obviously BPA.
But let's say some players are "equal", if so, then this would be my priority chart:
1st line center > defenceman > winger > other center > goalie

Best player available.

no thanks. that's what Oilers do and they're screwing themselves by not filling in holes and preparing for future so they can have a competitive lineup.

i would like us trying to draft the best player for the position we need to fill in each draft.

Doughty second overall, Piterangelo 4th overall

The point is, we shouldn't waste a high pick on a D-man (Unless Kylington is available) because you can find them in the later rounds as well, like PK Subban.

Also, for our pick, I really hope we take Travis Konecny, imagine having Konecny and Horvat as our one-two punch, and on top of this Konecny is Horvat's cousin. He seems to be dropping on draft lists, however that's not due to his lack of ability to produce but rather others starting the season off on a hot streak...

The Oilers big problem isn't drafting, it is their refusal to trade some of the very good forwards they did draft for some defensive help.

You make it seem like trades are easy to make. They aren't very common at all. No one is making those kind of trades because young defencemen that fit the mold of what the Oilers need are worth more than a Yakupov or Eberle type. Do you really think that a franchise defenseman, is even available on the trade market? They aren't available. Canucks have needed one for years and still don't have one and none in the pipe.

Demko is anything from a safe pick. Goalies tend to develop later and demo still has 2 1/2 season of collage eligibility left and will need at least 1 season in the AHL preferably 2-3 season

Demko was far and away the BPA at the 36th. We haven't had a goalie prospect of his potential since Schneider.

no thanks. that's what Oilers do and they're screwing themselves by not filling in holes and preparing for future so they can have a competitive lineup.

i would like us trying to draft the best player for the position we need to fill in each draft.

The Oilers' problem is they have no choice but to rush their top prospects due to lack of internal competition. Here, our prospects have to earn their spots so that isn't an issue.

I hope Bennin tries to trade up to the top 5 and snag us a future franchise center we can replace Hank with. Strome is likely to fall out of the top 2 but would still be a generational player. Obviously those top two are going to be impossible to pry off but 3rd to even 6th or 7th would be gettable and JB should go all in for them.

Our 1st rounder (probably 15-20th) + one of Shinkaruk/Jensen/Virtanen/Horvat/Cassels/McCann + one of Higgins/Burrows/Hansen or Stanton/Sbisa depending on what the team needs.

For example say Carolina get the 4th overall. Give them our 1st + Jensen + Stanton for the 4th (their stocks will be much higher after a full season). Then we roll this in a few years time:

Shinkaruk - Strome - Virtanen

Kassian - Horvat - Vey

Sedin - Sedin - Cassels/McCann

Gaunce - Bonino - UFA

Edler - Tanev

Sbisa - Subban

Hamhuis - Corrado

Lack

Markstrom

Obviously a future stud on D would be nice too but this draft is much deeper at forward, if we get a chance to move up we should definately take it.

Virtanen plays more on the left wing than he does the right, Similar to Jensen. That leaves Vey who normally plays C and Jensen and Grenier.

It is not a #1 priority but we aren't exactly deep on RW compared to LW and C.

I wouldn't go after another C unless it is a one of the better ones in the draft like Barzal, Konecny or maybe Zacha. All of which are likely to go top 10.

Virtanen has played right pretty much his entire junior career as far as I know. Pretty sure he made the switch this season because of Calgary's abundance of right wingers.

Jensen can play both wings, but has mostly played right wing in the minors and in the NHL.

I would say we are in need of a left wing prospect more than a right wing, since Shinkaruk is the only natural left winger with offensive upside we have. Gaunce can play left wing, but it remains to be seen whether he becomes more of a checker or top 6 player.

If this draft is as deep as people are projecting, there should be high end centers from 15-25. See Richards, Kesler, and Getzlaf in the 2003 draft. There will be one there, it's just a matter if they wil be the best player available or not.

Draft picks don't come with guarantees. You always draft what you believe to be the best available player. Two to four years down the road when he's ready you can trade what's excess for what's needed.

Then of course there are ufa's. We need a d-man, and if we sign two as ufa's suddenly we don't. We're becoming stocked with decent forward prospects which means a team deep on D could make on offer of quality D prospect for quality forward prospect. You don't know what the need will be two to four years down the road because of these variables.

It's like the Sham Sharron simulated draft earlier, where we didn't even draft goalies (or D I think) and only focused on the top scoring junior available at our position. If their development had gone just the same, we would have had plenty of quality excess in forwards to be able to trade for the other positions, and there's always UFAs as you mention.

Archived