The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden Vey being underrated on CDC

5Fivehole0

First of all I would like to say I did a search for Linden Vey and didn't see anything relevant in the 1st page of searches so I made a new thread.

Now, back to our show.

Linden Vey has collected 18 points in 48 games with limited ice time and power play opportunities, at the age of 23 that is not too shabby. The most interesting stat that a lot of people are over looking is Veys shooting percentage.

In the AHL, his shooting percentage was 16.1% and 17.7%, quite high, and yes I know it's AHL. If you continue to look at his pro campaign so far he has carried his high shooting percentage over so far at 16.7% for the Canucks this year. Small sample size I know, but still something to look at when you add in the fact that it was quite high in the AHL as well.

People say that he is invisible every night, but I disagree. He makes smart plays and sets people up constantly. At the young age of 23, Vey could easily blossom into a 2nd liner and be a big part of the top 6.

He has the same amount of points as Hansen, in less games. Vey is only a few points back from Higgins and Burrows in less games and is once again, only 23.

I for one, and very stoked to have a kid like Vey on our team and can't wait to see what he brings in the future. He has proved he can produce in the NHL, won't be too long before he is in his prime!

He's not being underrated at all.

If anything he's being dealt with like all our prospects.

The issue is how many perceive WD is treating him. preferential zone starts, and PP time. Defensively liable and at this moment another redundant tweener without the size or physicality to be a dedicated 3rd line player.

He could turn out or he could be an endless journeyman

The voice of reason.

I'm personally a huge fan of Linden Vey and thing he has surpassed any expectations I had.

$790,000 for 18 points in 48 games, he doesn't take dump penalties and is a +1 on the season.

Love what he brings and for the price we pay him, I think he's doing really well.

First of all I would like to say I did a search for Linden Vey and didn't see anything relevant in the 1st page of searches so I made a new thread.

Now, back to our show.

Linden Vey has collected 18 points in 48 games with limited ice time and power play opportunities, at the age of 23 that is not too shabby. The most interesting stat that a lot of people are over looking is Veys shooting percentage.

In the AHL, his shooting percentage was 16.1% and 17.7%, quite high, and yes I know it's AHL. If you continue to look at his pro campaign so far he has carried his high shooting percentage over so far at 16.7% for the Canucks this year. Small sample size I know, but still something to look at when you add in the fact that it was quite high in the AHL as well.

People say that he is invisible every night, but I disagree. He makes smart plays and sets people up constantly. At the young age of 23, Vey could easily blossom into a 2nd liner and be a big part of the top 6.

He has the same amount of points as Hansen, in less games. Vey is only a few points back from Higgins and Burrows in less games and is once again, only 23.

I for one, and very stoked to have a kid like Vey on our team and can't wait to see what he brings in the future. He has proved he can produce in the NHL, won't be too long before he is in his prime!

He has a pretty accurate shot, every time he gets the puck on the pp with some space it's in the back of the net.

He's on pace for what, like 30 points? Pretty good for a rookie. Pretty similar numbers to the Sedin's rookie seasons.

Only problem with him is he's small and weak defensively so I think he should switch to the wing.

He's not being underrated at all.

The issue is how many perceive WD is treating him. preferential zone starts, and PP time.

Defensively liable and at this moment another redundant tweener without the size or physicality to be a dedicated 3rd line player.

He could turn out or he could be an endless journeyman

The issues of negativity seems to be ongoing within a certain cult following here on the board.

Vey brings no drama,no issues,no distractions.

The coach is playing him to his strengths in his rookie year.

where does a player like Vey fit next season? If canucks don’t re-up Richardson, I think we’d be comfortable moving Horvat up to 3C. Do we move vey to wing? I think as a 4th line role center, he’d be in tuff with some strong competition for that role. Cassels, Mccann, and even Gaunce will all be auditioning for that spot, not to mention if Canucks do re-up Richardson or if they happen to go after another UFA. Looking at Canucks depth chart, unless there are some other moves that are made over TD and the summer, it’s hard to see Vey placing in the top 4 on any position.

RW depth –Vbrata, Kassian, Jensen, Dorsett*, Hansen

LW depth – Sedin, Matthias*, Burrows, Higgins, Virtanen, Shinkaruk

C depth – Sedin, Bonino, Horvat, Richardson* Vey, Cassels Gaunce, Mccann,

Without any deals it's hard to say where he fits. And without any deals it becomes a waste of a pick we gave up for him. That’s kind of why I think Hansen and Higgins are two contracts that I wouldn’t mind getting rid of. They are the two players that this team could move and it wouldn’t produce a huge negative on this team currently and definitely not in the future. We have enough players on this team (Matthias, Bo, Richardson, Dorsett, Burrows) that are strong enough defensively to handle the loss of them. It would clear up 5 million in cap space for the next 3 years and open up spots for some of our prospects to fight for.

Considering this is his first full season as a Canuck, Im happy with his play.

Of course I want to see more production but this is part of the growing pains of having younger players in the lineup. He will find himself sooner than later. Has all the tools and smarts to do it. With the full support (albeit preferential treatment) from Willie, Vey should be able to find himself.

I'm not concerned about his play; he's a great offensive player. What I'm concerned about is his size.

If he can somehow match the intensity that Gallagher brings every game, I don't think size will be much of a concern.

Vey is listed at 6'0 and 189. Not small by any stretch of the imagination, though he could probably stand to add 5-10 lbs of muscle to make him a bit more viable in the corners and along the boards.

Vey is a skill player, he's not a bull like Horvat. That said, I'd be stoked to see a line of Matthias - Horvat - Vey next year assuming the Canucks re-sign Matthias.

Yes sir. I was a Vey fan from the start. People seem to overlook how hard he works and somehow fall head over heels for Kassian? His talent will shine through when he gets half decent linemates.

EDIT: Funnily enough, I think the guy he would have meshed the best with is Kesler.

few pp opportunities? he's been on the top unit all year.

he's the softest player on a soft team.

he's the worst defensively on the team.

he's the worst fwd in points/60 5 on 5 - 1.37. for comparison, horvat is 1.91 and higgins is 1.74.

he's 23, and has been playing pro for 3 seasons, so the 'he's a rookie' thing doesn't have as much weight.

id just call that low rated, not underrated.

It's probably because he's put up 1 goal since December (26 gp)

And that's with a second/third line role.

Only in three of those games did he see below 12 minutes of ice time.

So that means he's probably like second or third on the team in goals since December.

But seriously, Vey is a fine player. It is easy to see where his weaknesses are, but he is a rookie with plenty of time to improve. He rarely plays hard enough on the puck, whether it be when he's on the cycle or when he is trying to check someone. If he looks at how this team stacks up at center (Sedin, Bonino, Horvat, Richardson, Mathias, McCann, Gaunce (maybe LW though), I think he will realize that if he wants to stick on the team, he'll have to learn the wing.

Spend the summer getting stronger and learning how to work off the boards. I see a lot of breakouts with Vey getting pushed around near the blueline and the puck staying in the zone. If he can work on those small things, I think he'll be a decent player.

The only people that stomp on Vey are the people who think that is the only way to make Horvat look good

Both of our rookie forwards have played and developed nicely

Linden Vey, the player everyone calls Wille D's favourite, has been decent for us this year. Moreover, he has played decent enough to get a 2 year contract. I hope the Canuck's don't let him walk at the free agency because Vey has shown lots of offensive flashes. Its important to add, Vey is young and is only 180 pounds, just wait till the fills up. Furthermore, LA kings know how to draft, so let's trust LA's drafting because I feel, Vey will be stud in a couple of years.

Has been a top line player at every level of hockey he's played. He needs to get stronger on the puck. He tries to force plays, and passes a little bit too much. That stuff can be corrected out of his game without taking away his creativity. He still seems like he's in panic mode out there most of the time. Experience should start to slow the game down for him.

This is his first year as full-time NHL'er, so all of the "he's played 3 years of pro hockey" comments don't carry much weight.

So that means he's probably like second or third on the team in goals since December.

But seriously, Vey is a fine player. It is easy to see where his weaknesses are, but he is a rookie with plenty of time to improve. He rarely plays hard enough on the puck, whether it be when he's on the cycle or when he is trying to check someone. If he looks at how this team stacks up at center (Sedin, Bonino, Horvat, Richardson, Mathias, McCann, Gaunce (maybe LW though), I think he will realize that if he wants to stick on the team, he'll have to learn the wing.

Spend the summer getting stronger and learning how to work off the boards. I see a lot of breakouts with Vey getting pushed around near the blueline and the puck staying in the zone. If he can work on those small things, I think he'll be a decent player.

Agreed. He definitely needs to get stronger for puck battles as his game will never be based on speed but on his hockey sense and passing. Right now he plays a perimeter game and is easily pushed off of the puck. He is also usually a split second behind in his decision making and reaction time so there is still a lot of adjustment to be made there as well.

Whether or not he ends up as a C or W is till up in the air for me. He doesn't have great sped to be a very effective 2nd line C defensively so he will need to be a consistent offensive threat to tip the ice in his advantage. Finding the right wingers for him may help but being in the middle puts a lot of pressure to be both up and down the ice. As a winger he lacks enough physical ability to retain the puck and that may take several years for him to acquire if he ever does.

All in all, he will need be a shifty and crafty player to reach his ceiling. I think he can do it, probably in the middle, once his decision making catches up to the speed of the play. When that happens in the coming years, and I believe it will happen all of a sudden and catch people off guard a bit, he will be a dangerous playmaker. It can be seen now that Vey is looking for tight spaces to make plays in and he is missing by millimetres and microseconds which are currently ending in turnovers and odd man rushes. A slight improvement there will make a huge difference in his production.

Vey is listed at 6'0 and 189. Not small by any stretch of the imagination, though he could probably stand to add 5-10 lbs of muscle to make him a bit more viable in the corners and along the boards.

Vey is a skill player, he's not a bull like Horvat. That said, I'd be stoked to see a line of Matthias - Horvat - Vey next year assuming the Canucks re-sign Matthias.

Vey is far from that stature.. If you have ever seen a picture of him you would agree. Vey is a stick. He may be 6'0 but he is closer to 170 than he is to 190.. The sedins are around that height and weight..

few pp opportunities? he's been on the top unit all year.

he's the softest player on a soft team.

he's the worst defensively on the team.

he's the worst fwd in points/60 5 on 5 - 1.37. for comparison, horvat is 1.91 and higgins is 1.74.

he's 23, and has been playing pro for 3 seasons, so the 'he's a rookie' thing doesn't have as much weight.

id just call that low rated, not underrated.

Being a little unrealistic with your expectations with Vey. The 'rookie' thing does actually have some merit because, well, he is a rookie. Not everyone takes the junior --> NHL route.. In fact most NHLers have spent time in the AHL.

Archived