The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden Vey being underrated on CDC

5Fivehole0

I think many of us forget he's a rookie, this is his first full year in the NHL year. Much like Dale Weise, people expect too much of him because they don't realize this is his first full year in the NHL. He has inconsistency issues and there are areas he needs to work on, but same with any young player. I think we would be ecstatic with his performance if we had seen him get drafted and come up through our system.

The jury is out on Linden Vey clearly.

He's now at 8 goals, 11 assists, +2, face offs 42.5% (nhl.com). As a rookie, we can't complain. He seems to be developing decently and his face offs have improved recently. He is listed at 189 but plays smaller than the Sedin's who are also listed at this size. He apparently dropped some weight over the past summer in order to improve his speed. I would think that this summer, he'll try to put on a little. Improving his core strength will help as it has with the Sedins but let's face it, he'll never be a physical force in this league.

I have to wonder how he fits in long term. At +2 he doesn't seem to be a liability defensively. I really don't see him as being strong enough to play centre so his future is on the wing imo. I think that he has been a good compliment to Matthias because he is quick and opportunistic down low.

His production is reasonable but is he sticking with the club only because he'll be claimed on waivers if sent down to Utica? For now there's nobody beating him out of a job but we'll see come training camp.

First of all I would like to say I did a search for Linden Vey and didn't see anything relevant in the 1st page of searches so I made a new thread.

Now, back to our show.

Linden Vey has collected 18 points in 48 games with limited ice time and power play opportunities, at the age of 23 that is not too shabby. The most interesting stat that a lot of people are over looking is Veys shooting percentage.

In the AHL, his shooting percentage was 16.1% and 17.7%, quite high, and yes I know it's AHL. If you continue to look at his pro campaign so far he has carried his high shooting percentage over so far at 16.7% for the Canucks this year. Small sample size I know, but still something to look at when you add in the fact that it was quite high in the AHL as well.

People say that he is invisible every night, but I disagree. He makes smart plays and sets people up constantly. At the young age of 23, Vey could easily blossom into a 2nd liner and be a big part of the top 6.

He has the same amount of points as Hansen, in less games. Vey is only a few points back from Higgins and Burrows in less games and is once again, only 23.

I for one, and very stoked to have a kid like Vey on our team and can't wait to see what he brings in the future. He has proved he can produce in the NHL, won't be too long before he is in his prime!

You may want to look a little deeper into the stat. Like why does he has such a high percentage? Maybe it's because he has the second lowest shots per 60 minutes played on the team, with only Hank lower and many almost double his totals.

It might also be because his stats were early season loaded, when he was gifted the 1st power play, where his shooting percentage was 28.6% ! Play him 5 on 5, and his shots per 60 are by far the lowest, as are his goals. And guess what, his shot percentage is only 8.0%, third lowest on the team.

Right now Vey is a single dimensional offensive forward, that has not been putting up great numbers, again except at the beginning of the year. Nice to see him get a goal tonight, but if he is to be part of the future of this team, he needs to do more, otherwise he will get lapped by the up coming prospects.

I agree with the original poster.

I don't know where people get the idea he is a defensive liability... he is consistently responsible to his line responsibilites.

He is a +2.... better than a lot of the team.

He has great puck handling skills, he passes well, he has a nice shot, and he is also pretty good along the boards with the forecheck.

For someone who is 23, he is looking good.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Tough guy we got here... Look at the sig :rolleyes: Thinks he's GM, coach and goalie.

Lack>Coach Miller

"Just trying to be physical. Make everyone happy."

Derek Dorsett on the PP :picard:

Luca Pizza top 4 defensemen - Jim Benning

Are you even from Medicine Hat though?

Free Pass for Miller, Vey, Sbisa, Dorsett

Tough guy we got here... Look at the sig :rolleyes: Thinks he's GM, coach and goalie.

Lack>Coach Miller

"Just trying to be physical. Make everyone happy."

Derek Dorsett on the PP :picard:

Luca Pizza top 4 defensemen - Jim Benning

Are you even from Medicine Hat though?

Free Pass for Miller, Vey, Sbisa, Dorsett

When I saw Dorsett on the 2nd unit over Bo Horvat, I was like :picard: :picard: :picard:

I don't get the hate for my man Linden, works hard on and off the ice, probably our second or third best finisher behind Vrbata and Bonino. We acquired him for a second round pick and would literally be lost this year without him.

Who would be in with the team that can fill a 2C/3C type of role???? Sestito? Common...

People see his deployment as a determent to his game, but it's not like we have better players to put there! He fills a need that we had going into the season. The only people that have legit beef are the ones in a win now mode who would have preferred to have Santorelli back. Fair enough, but we're building for the future.

Vey has been a little less than what I was expecting, but I was expecting a heck of a lot from a rookie on a new team. If you don't like him fair enough, but the more we can build his value and the better he plays the better the Canucks do and the more return we can get from him if there isn't a spot for him in the future.

I honestly see him as a fit on the RW with McCann one day. McCann has a great shot, Linden makes a lot of good passes and is usually in great position.

Lastly, he friggen gets the puck out of our D zone consistently and makes good outlet passes!!!!! That is so important with our young defenders as they learn to move the puck better. People need to watch the little nuances of his game a bit more, not just read into his deployment, ice time, and faceoff %.

He's a friggen rookie people!

I missed the game. Did he score?

Yes.

Yes he did.

Indeed! So did The Kassquatch.

Vey has been doing exactly what he needs to at 23. Boho and Vey have different roles and different strengths, and they are both doing them well. The difference between the two is one was picked in the top 10 and one was not. Different ceilings, different expectations.

This kid has been exceptional. Bravo to JB.

I still think we may have been better off with Santo this year... But long term, Vey is probably the guy with more upside.

I'd still love to sign Santo though in the off season.

IMO Linden is doing a good job. He is a rookie after all, The Canucks needed an infusion of youth and well that comes at a cost - consistency.

People say he hasn't had any goals til tonight in 26 games. those kinds of streaks litter this line-up.

Others say he is being gifted with top 6 minutes. well he is an offensive minded, point producing prospect who has put up numbers in every league he has been in. It's not going to happen overnight. How smart is it to play that kind of prospect on the 4rth line, or the third line without opportunity to play on the scond and in offensive situations?

The same people may also say he is top 5 for PP minutes. He was on the top unit early in the season, but has been on the second for almost half the games so far. But when the Sedins are on the ice for a minute twenty or a minute thirty, how much PP time does the second unit actually have to gain possession in the offensive zone and get multiple scoring chances, hardly none.

I will also say this the guy tries, and you can see it. He skates, and not like a 30 something year old. He comes back into his zone and can lead a breakout by carrying the puck and then make a tape to tape pass, be creative.

Yes, his game has weeakness in it, he is young and is still growing, in game and stature. He will learn from this year and be better, or be left behind but that is something that can't be pre-determined.

I still think we may have been better off with Santo this year... But long term, Vey is probably the guy with more upside.

Santo would have cost us more than Vey. Santo took low pay because there were no other offers considering his injury. He will get paid this offseason.

IMO Linden is doing a good job. He is a rookie after all, ...

I like Vey and I agree he is doing a good job. We works hard every shift and seems like a good teammate and a good guy.

But the statement that "he is a rookie" is being overplayed a bit. He is 23 years old. The right comparison is with other 23 year-olds, not with other rookies, like Horvat (who is only 19).

At age 23 there is still some upward potential for Vey, but not nearly as much as for Horvat, who has a much higher ceiling.

I was in the group who have liked to re-sign Santo and keep the second round pick (and pick McKeown). In retrospect, however, Vey is a probably a better use of a second round pick.

But I don't think there is room for Santo and Vey. There is probably only room for one high skill but smallish and soft C/RW secondary scorer on the team. Benning has indicated that, while he values skill and speed, he also values size, strength, toughness and good defense.

I think JB will try to re-sign Matthias next year (for the right price) and otherwise the team will be pretty similar, barring trades. There will be room for one or two new forwards. Maybe Virtanen, maybe one of the Utica prospects, maybe a free agent pick-up. But whoever it is, I am expecting someone with decent size, strength, toughness and intensity. Virtanen has those characteristics although next year might still be a year early for him.

I agree with the original poster.

I don't know where people get the idea he is a defensive liability... he is consistently responsible to his line responsibilites.

He is a +2.... better than a lot of the team.

He has great puck handling skills, he passes well, he has a nice shot, and he is also pretty good along the boards with the forecheck.

For someone who is 23, he is looking good.

Vey is a turnover machine who easily leads all forward in turnovers per 60 minutes (more than 5). By comparison Henrik would be about 1.3 or so per 60. I would put too much emphasis on his +/- since he plays extremely sheltered minutes offensive minded minutes. His underlying numbers are simply bad.

He is a terrible passer, he is not a great forechecker, has only ok speed. He does have a nice shot, but should not be playing C on any line, aweful in circle, and should be playing wing.

I like Vey, and I think he has the potential, but he is not underrated , he is pretty much what most people with common sense think he is...a pretty 1 dimensional rookie who could develop. But he shouldnt be getting ice time ahead of Kassian

Needs to work on faceoffs and defence before he's a bonified NHL center, but until then we've got a nifty middle-6 right winger in the mix. Hopefully he can develop nicely next season and score 20 in his sophmore season. The kid deserves to be in our top-6 next year even, and hopefully he will be if we can move one of Higgins, Vbrata or Burrows and get Jensen or Shinkaruk into the bottom-6.

Vey replaces Higgins' 15 minutes, Jense replaces Vey's 13 minutes next year.

He's not being underrated at all.

If anything he's being dealt with like all our prospects.

The issue is how many perceive WD is treating him. preferential zone starts, and PP time. Defensively liable and at this moment another redundant tweener without the size or physicality to be a dedicated 3rd line player.

He could turn out or he could be an endless journeyman

You mean like Hodgson did? Vey is rookie and it makes sense to shelter his minutes somewhat. The PP time is easily explained as he played very well on the PP in preseason and as result started the season there. He's been on and off the PP since that good start. He certainly doesn't hurt the PP and it is realistically sheltered minutes, again like Hodgson had.

I not sure what people are watching defensively. He back checks hard with speed and has made some excellent defensive plays as a result. Again, he's a rookie and does make some rookie mistakes. Don't expect perfect from anybody, but particularly a rookie. At least he makes a solid defensive effort. Frankly Kassian could take some lessons from Vey on that side of the game.

Frankly I've found Vey to be a pleasant surprise. His skating and play along the boards has been better than I expected. His playmaking has been well beyond what I expected.

First of all I would like to say I did a search for Linden Vey and didn't see anything relevant in the 1st page of searches so I made a new thread.

Now, back to our show.

Linden Vey has collected 18 points in 48 games with limited ice time and power play opportunities, at the age of 23 that is not too shabby. The most interesting stat that a lot of people are over looking is Veys shooting percentage.

In the AHL, his shooting percentage was 16.1% and 17.7%, quite high, and yes I know it's AHL. If you continue to look at his pro campaign so far he has carried his high shooting percentage over so far at 16.7% for the Canucks this year. Small sample size I know, but still something to look at when you add in the fact that it was quite high in the AHL as well.

People say that he is invisible every night, but I disagree. He makes smart plays and sets people up constantly. At the young age of 23, Vey could easily blossom into a 2nd liner and be a big part of the top 6.

He has the same amount of points as Hansen, in less games. Vey is only a few points back from Higgins and Burrows in less games and is once again, only 23.

I for one, and very stoked to have a kid like Vey on our team and can't wait to see what he brings in the future. He has proved he can produce in the NHL, won't be too long before he is in his prime!

I have been saying the same for a while now.

People miss all the helping out on the boards and around the ice he gives his team mates. When he loses the puck he doubles his effort and usually wins it back.

He is a highly intelligent player and has the knack of playing in his team mates and making them look better.

Yes he makes mistakes but he is still a rookie and he never stops trying to make things happen. No wonder Willie likes him.

Archived