The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal: Phaneuf?

Just want to see what everyone thinks. Phaneuf is only 29. Still a lot left to give. Granted he has a huge contract and it would be hard for the Canucks to absorb it, but the leafs are willing to absorb some $$. Just how much.

Looking at some of the rumoured offers the leafs got or would have accepted, I think a deal with the likes of

Bieksa

Kassian

Jensen

For

Phaneuf (retain 30%)

Kassian I figure would fit with the leafs very well. Would give them grit in the top 6 and score from time to time. He can be streaky at times but the leafs dont have many like Kassian.

Bieksa would be a cap dump so to say to fit Phaneuf. Also a chance to play in his home province before he retires. Hasnt had the best of years although his injury took away part of the season. Big contributer to the community to. Would suck but hey..

Jensen I dont see him developing as well as McCann, Virtanen, Cassels etc. Also with the addition of Baertschi makes him expendable.

Phaneuf is a monster. Body is built for the west. He isnt a softy can lay the body. Canucks could use that. He also wouldnt be relied on as heavily and I think he can clean up his defebsive zone slopppyness if he isnt relied on as much.

Thoughts?

As much as I wouldn't mind him on the team (yes I said it) for his offensive ability he wouldn't be a good fit simply because we'd be so left-side D-man heavy with him, Eddie and Hammer, and none of them can really play the right side. Sure he can handle big minutes but if we're moving Juice (HOPING!) we should get another right-side, inexpensive rightie (puck-mover please!) to balance things out.

I think Edmonton should target him though, he and Fayne would be a solid tough-minute pairing IMO, and then Klefbom and Schultz could face slightly easier minutes. That D-group would have a much easier time, and they could move someone like Nikitin as part of a deal.

Poor ol' Pha9.

Was reading some chatter in the National newspaper. Apparently some Leaf fan attended an alumni dinner. He asked an '80s Leaf-player what he thought of Phaneuf's leadership?...

Ex-Leaf(unnamed!) apparently replied: "Have you ever looked deeply into the eyes of a dairy cow?"

Pretty harsh, no doubt..but by Gawd that guy's interviews are painfully tedious.

Id' stick with BxA too.

i wouldnt even do it for bieksa straight up. On top of that ur throwing in a power forward whos just finding his game and a prospect who could still turn into a top 6 forward

I don't know, I would consider straight up for Bieksa if Toronto absorbs half of Phaneuf's cap (as well as all of Bieksa's cap). Basically replacing Bieksa by Phaneuf, who is 4 years younger at more or less the same cap hit.

Even Bieksa straight up and if Toronto retained 50% of his salary, I'd hesitate. And that 50% retained is the only way I'd do it because it gets us a player 4 years younger, and saves $1.6 million in cap space. Phaneuf does have 25 points, but a slightly worse +/-. He might thrive in the western conference, and his 143 hits would be useful too. Besides we really need something to jump start our power play.

Juice's leadership > Dion's leadership. But I can't see any way Bieksa waiving his NTC. Besides next season is Bieksa's last on his contract. He always does well on the last year of his contract.

Just want to see what everyone thinks. Phaneuf is only 29. Still a lot left to give. Granted he has a huge contract and it would be hard for the Canucks to absorb it, but the leafs are willing to absorb some $$. Just how much.

Looking at some of the rumoured offers the leafs got or would have accepted, I think a deal with the likes of

Bieksa

Kassian

Jensen

For

Phaneuf (retain 30%)

Kassian I figure would fit with the leafs very well. Would give them grit in the top 6 and score from time to time. He can be streaky at times but the leafs dont have many like Kassian.

Bieksa would be a cap dump so to say to fit Phaneuf. Also a chance to play in his home province before he retires. Hasnt had the best of years although his injury took away part of the season. Big contributer to the community to. Would suck but hey..

Jensen I dont see him developing as well as McCann, Virtanen, Cassels etc. Also with the addition of Baertschi makes him expendable.

Phaneuf is a monster. Body is built for the west. He isnt a softy can lay the body. Canucks could use that. He also wouldnt be relied on as heavily and I think he can clean up his defebsive zone slopppyness if he isnt relied on as much.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that you proposed a very dumb trade

Archived