The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we start Markstrom against the Leafs?

ruilin96

Jacob Markstrom  

179 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Keep him on the bench until Miller is healthy.

I concur. There is no reason to start him at all this season. Keep rolling Lack. He won't burn out like last season. If anything, he was mentally burned out from playing behind a poor team.

Rest is for the weak and ill prepared. Goalies want to play, and play often. And playing the backup (Lack) against inferior competition was not happening earlier in the year so why start now?

Sure - but keep in mind if your goal is to rebuild his confidence, if he doesn't manage to play well it might actually further destroy it. Nobody wants to lose against a team like the Leafs.

Not playing him isn't a good alternative to playing him and him getting lit up. No confidence from the organization is just as bad.

Sure - but keep in mind if your goal is to rebuild his confidence, if he doesn't manage to play well it might actually further destroy it. Nobody wants to lose against a team like the Leafs.

The organization showing no confidence in him to start him again would be far worse than anything else. If he plays and gets lit up what have they really lost? It will not affect his trade value and may even make it possible for them to sneak him through waivers again next season.

If the Canucks abandon any faith in him after one bad game where the team did not show up to play it will damage his confidence worse than losing to the leafs.

Yeah, I'd actually like to see JM get a few out of the next 9 or 10 games. That is, if he wins & plays well. For example, Leafs, Ariz & Col, if he starts playing as he should. Be nice to get those nasty stats of his straightened out.

The team would be more imposing, late season, if they had two young 'tenders playing well. The Canucks are playing well enough that they will compete with any of our three guys in net.

At the draft, JM would hold more value(say in a package). Still think this prospect could suddenly bloom like Bishop, in TBay.

Lastly, I've long believed in Lack. If he maintains his recent numbers, here's to hoping he'll be our starter come PO's. So don't burn him out now, unnecessarily.

It's all meant to be.

I don't get this burning out theory.

I haven't heard Dubnyk complaining about starting every game since he was traded to the Wild. And he is on fire right now and might start all 15 of their last games.

You play the goalie who gives you the best chance to win. It's not a popularity contest or lets make the backup feel good about himself game.

I doubt even the Leafs want to embarrass themselves on Saturday afternoon during the HNIC game.

In my opinion, there's a time and place for starting Markstrom, and that's after the Canucks secure a playoff spot.

Eddie might burn out playing two weeks straight, but that's OK because Miller should be ready to go by the time playoffs start.

Yes. Leafs game could be one of those games where Lack could have a letdown game, after maintaining such high intensity level playing against division rivals and playoff race competitors (LA and SJ). Markstrom will be able to come in, ready to play hard to prove that he belongs in the NHL.

Yes. Leafs game could be one of those games where Lack could have a letdown game, after maintaining such high intensity level playing against division rivals and playoff race competitors (LA and SJ). Markstrom will be able to come in, ready to play hard to prove that he belongs in the NHL.

This is an excellent point. I was of the opinion we should just ride Eddie and only throw JM in the weaker of back to backs. Now that I think about it though what you say makes perfect sense, I could see it being a let down game for Lack. So it would be a good game to throw Markstrom into

Archived