The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ashton Sautner | D

S N Y P E R S 7

I can tell by Hunters arm he may have gained pounds...but not much muscle...Hunter is a goal scorer...more wieght means less agility to me...his legs need the wieght.

It's funny how everyone focuses on his arms, when you're right it's more about his leg and core strength. That's what will make the difference.

You look at smaller skilled guys in the NHL and it's not like they have big bulky arms. They do however typically have legs the size of tree trunks though. That's what Hunter should be focusing on.

I sort of inadvertently ended up creeping these guys on Twitter as well lol. It seems prospect wise Subban, Virtanen, Shinkaruk, Hutton, Sautner, and Pedan have been here since early August working with a few of the regulars. The regulars that I know of include: Prust, Sutter, the Sedins, Burrows, and Higgins. I'm not sure who they're using in net though.

It's nice to see our prospects come out early and bond, even to get more exposure to NHL caliber play by playing shinny with the regulars.

Anyone forget about this guy? lol signed till 17/18

Caps off WHL career SEASON 265GP, 24G, 93A, 117P, 130 PIM, +125 PLAYOFFS 58GP, 6G, 14A, 20P, 34 PIM, +18

On great team but stellar last two seasons.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=84404

I wonder where he will fit in with the Comets next season?

This guy has class written all over him. He always looks to have as much time as he needs (really good players operate on a different clock from everyone else )

He seems quick and smooth on his skates and almost caresses his passes. Great shot too, which seems to deceive goalies no matter where he is on the ice. Anyone else thinking Ehrhoff here?

I can't wait to see Sautner get his big chance.

• Upvote 1

I sort of inadvertently ended up creeping these guys on Twitter as well lol. It seems prospect wise Subban, Virtanen, Shinkaruk, Hutton, Sautner, and Pedan have been here since early August working with a few of the regulars. The regulars that I know of include: Prust, Sutter, the Sedins, Burrows, and Higgins. I'm not sure who they're using in net though.

It's nice to see our prospects come out early and bond, even to get more exposure to NHL caliber play by playing shinny with the regulars.

That is awesome to hear. Canucks prospects are motivated and our core guys are willing to teach.

Do a lot of NHL players practice with their prospects like this?

I believe Lack and Martin Jones train out of Vancouver. Price, Reimer and Dubnyk train in Kelowna.

I found it interesting that Pedan spent all summer trainning in Vancouver. Would have thought he would have gone back to Russia to train.

For the record I know Cassels, Pedan, and Virtanen have been trainning in Vancouver since July and that Dorsett has been the one showing all the prospects around town and how to train like a pro.

But I thought Dorsett was a waste of money and that his off ice value was overhyped?! :P

• Upvote 1

Dorsett has been the one showing all the prospects around town and how to train like a pro.

Dorsett "Cecil, The Austin, Champagne Charlies, Marble Arch, The Drake have all been closed down but for my money No. 5 is still my personal fave.....Here is The Roxy, this place is crawling with professional puck bunnies. In one corner is the Pavel Bure booth....in the other is the Patrick Kane booth....but you probably won't be allowed there for a few years yet."

Sautner noticeably the worst Canuck on the ice through 2 periods.

I actually got significantly better as the game went on. He looks really really nervous out there, but he made some good plays as his confidence grew throughout the game. Might be one of those kids who has to convince himself that he belongs there.

I actually got significantly better as the game went on. He looks really really nervous out there, but he made some good plays as his confidence grew throughout the game. Might be one of those kids who has to convince himself that he belongs there.

Agreed, he still made some bad plays in the 3rd, but made at least 2 noticeably good ones. Could sure be nerves. Honestly, not really familiar with Sautner and just judging this game, not him as a player.

• Upvote 1

Agreed, he still made some bad plays in the 3rd, but made at least 2 noticeably good ones. Could sure be nerves. Honestly, not really familiar with Sautner and just judging this game, not him as a player.

true class right here. +1

Wasn't very impressed with his play in the tournament. He had a few chances but looked lost out there. He pinches harder than bieksa and gets way out of position. His ability to keep the puck moving in the offensive zone was the one bright part of his game I saw, and may have been why Benning is interested.

Would not be surprised to see him with the k-wings next year, not that it's a bad thing. But for me, Hutton, Subban overshadowed him. They were great for us.

Not saying this kid is a bust, be he's definitely a long term project.

But for me, Hutton, Subban overshadowed him. They were great for us.

Not saying this kid is a bust, be he's definitely a long term project.

As they should as they're much higher profile with far loftier expectations.

I believe that's always been the book on Sautner. Some good raw tools and leadership that needs some long term polishing. If he's an NHL quality Dman even of only #6/7 depth quality in 3-5 years, you call that a major success. Anything over that would be gravy.

• 1 month later...

celebartion got a little nutty haha at least their enthusiastic. 

Seems like Sautner is kind of the "forgotten prospect" this year.  I would have thought McEneny was going to be the guy to stick with Utica this year other than Subban.  Interested to see follow the rest of his first pro season.  He's relatively unknown to us given how new he is to the prospect pool.

• 5 weeks later...