The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best Captain in Canucks History

thejazz97

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You have 0 hockey iq. That's one thing I can bet my life on.

Henrik has led more on the ice and off the ice

Henrik 903 points in 1080 games = 0.836/ppg

+210

4 OT goals

34 gwg

Linden 733 points in 1140 games = 0.643/ppg

0 OT goals

33 gwg

Hmmm how about off the ice? Henrik has donated millions and spent hundreds of hours of community service with the team...

I know when Trevor was with the team, the franchise didn't mandate as much as they do now, but it is what it is.

Hanks the best captain in franchise history.

I think you should add "not to take anything away from Trev" at the end there, just to keep everyone at bay ;)

Beautiful post by Tiger Hearted. the Steamer was a great captain. Trevor gets my first vote, Steamer second and Orland Kurtenbach gets honorable mention. Captain Kurt #25 was tough as nails. I recall one game where he just destroyed Forbes Kennedy of the Bruins.

I'm not saying a single picture can make someone the best captain, but this picture does help illustrate why it's Linden:

A great teammate; respected by everyone around the league (but especially his teammates); playing hurt (with blood on his jersey); carrying the team to wins; almost winning the cup as the 7th seed; elevating his game to new heights when it mattered.

LindenMclean.jpg

Not to mention his work off the ice.

The other captains were good, but not as good as Linden.

No problem - just cranky today I guess. i just find it weird that as amazing as people outside of Vancouver think The Nameless One was, he as a complete disaster here. I loved the crowd's reaction to the Messier ad at the heritage Classic.

edit: I can't remember which game I was at but I remember watching him float between the bluelines and just yelling at him to at least pretend to try. Sad.

BTW, my vote was for Stan, but it is pretty hard to compare players across eras.

Yeah man I know what you mean. I'll be honest - if it wasn't for his time here in Vancouver, I would say he was one of the greatest captains ever. Others might contend he still is, but I won't ever be able look over those few years.

I'm not saying a single picture can make someone the best captain, but this picture does help illustrate why it's Linden:

A great teammate; respected by everyone around the league (but especially his teammates); playing hurt (with blood on his jersey); carrying the team to wins; almost winning the cup as the 7th seed; elevating his game to new heights when it mattered.

LindenMclean.jpg

Not to mention his work off the ice.

The other captains were good, but not as good as Linden.

Nailed it fully and completely Apollo should take a nice hard long look at this and understand it. Anyways henrik is a good captain just wish he would show some more heart on the ice when it matters most down the stretch here. Linden, Henrik top 2 followed by nazzy and steamer tied at 3 for me

I think the best captain would be determined by leading the team to the most winning seasons. That would be hank and has been a real gem as a quiet leader who goes about his business everyday. For me though linden would have to be be my favourite captain because he could crank up the intensity for big games when it was truly needed.

Gotta say it was a tough call to make between Henrik, Markus and Trevor. Trevor Linden has done so much for the franchise and has defined captaincy in Vancouver with his dedication. Not that others haven't, but Trevor is 'the captain' of Vancouver. Nazzy again was such a calming force and one of my personal favorites of all time. Henrik then again has done so well and grown into the role and done so much for the city etc. SC finals of course and been a leader statistically as well.

All this makes me wan't to say Henrik, as he is a canuck-for-life, and will give it all to the team from the beginning to the end. We will probably never have such a player(s) again, so dedicated to the team and city, from draft until retirement and probably from there on forward as well.

I still chose Linden, as he is 'my' captain from when I first became a fan and he too has done so much for the franchise.

My standard is which captain took his team to the CUP Finals. It comes down to Smyl, Linden and Sedin.I watched all of them.

1) Smyl: had the least talent but had a desire that was 2nd to none. His roster was also the weakest. No Canuck fan should ever minimalize what Stan did. Great shot coming off the RW and always a net presence and very physical. The '82 run was magical but I give a lot of credit for that to King Richard. A upstart d-core but a offense that could not keep up with the NYI.

2) Linden: Did every thing. A lot of clutch goals, physical and could score from anywhere. His teammates could never think that Linden took a night off. His roster was the strongest Canuck roster ever IMO. Linden was a key reason. The '94 run was the closest Van has ever come to a CUP. They were cheated by the NYR.

3) Sedin: What a career. The most gifted offensive player of the 3. A character leader. My issue with Hank is/has been his inability to change his play to adapt to game/series circumstances. Puck possession is his forte and most times it works but in CUP play defenses can focus on the Twins and shut them down. Hank's roster in '11 was the 2nd strongest I have seen but not as strong as '94. If Hank had a little more Forsberg in him he would have pushed Linden but he does not.

My ranking:

#1 Linden

#2 Smyl

#3 Sedin

Stan Smyl is my choice. When Stan was captain, no one on the team questioned him, they just followed his heart because he left it all on the ice every shift of every game.

Trevor Linden is my 2nd choice. The reason that I didn't pick Trevor was because he was being challenged in the room by certain players. Possibly Trevor being involved in league negotiations caused friction with certain negative players. He was a great captain of the Canucks and will always be a favorite of mine (I named my son after him) plus you cannot find a better example of a model citizen than Trevor. I am grateful to have had the privilege of watching both Stan and Trevor over the years and happy that both of them are involved in steering this team to a Cup challenge.

Archived