The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hartley fined 50,000 by NHL. Engeland suspension rescinded

Watermelon

That picture above is disgusting. It takes two 'grown men' to beat on one guy? Then to throw in another sucker punch when the refs FINALLY decide to break it off?

If you watch the video instead of look at the static picture, you'll see Hamhuis didn't fight. He pulled Engelland off Dorsett, yes. He separated them. Even when he had Engelland down on the ice, and could of whaled on him, he didn't. When it was all over, he even still had his gloves on. Even the commentators start to acknowledge that fact a little later on, after their initial reaction. At one point they even say, "was he really fighting?"

The refs have discretion, and they used it.

My god. After watching the replays, and reading through both your forums and the flames forums, I have to say that both sides are at fault for this incident. Yes, Hartley shouldn't have done what he done and his fine is justifiable.

But you people need to get off of your high horses. There's a reason(several actually) why Vancouver is one of the least liked and least respected teams in the league. I don't need to get into specifics here, as I'm sure that the reasons of the aforementioned has been brought up many times before on not only these forums but others as well.

But the Canucks are far from innocent. That picture above is disgusting. It takes two 'grown men' to beat on one guy? Then to throw in another sucker punch when the refs FINALLY decide to break it off?

And just an FYI; Stajan is far from goon material, and he got the worse of that particular fight. He was clearly overmatched. That Engelland (spelled right, I hope) does not deserve a suspension, regardless of how many people here believe otherwise, and general consensus on many other forums agree with this.

Pathetic.

YOu create an account to spew biased garbage like this? Did you see Engelland throw 2 punches at Dorsett after the linesman had Dorsett tied up? apparently you chose to ignore that. As for Stajan, he threw the first punch and dropped his gloves first. He is also bigger than Richardson who is also nto a fighter. YOu are biased and butt-hurt because the Flames tried to send a message of intimidation an d ended up losing the battle.

Did you have a problem earlier when Gaudreau humped Hamhuis's leg and when Dan tried to pry him off, a Calgary player jumped in to protect the little lemur?

...and bottom line...regurgitating the BS about the Nucks being the most hated and least respected team, who are you, God of all hockey fans?>!! You know this? Do you ever see the hate and vitriol posted on other forums about other teams? DO you think the Bruins are universally loved with guys like Lucic?

Go post on the Flames forum with the rest of their delusional fans.

I noticed a few things during the game, but can someone summarize what he did to get the fine?

i feel stupid asking this :picard:

Two things,

1. First, when a player instigates a fight in the last 5 minutes of a game a fine for the coach is standard: Here is rule 46.22 in the NHL official rules:

A player who is deemed to be the instigator of an altercation in the final five (5) minutes of regulation time or at anytime in overtime (see 46.12), shall be suspended for one game, pending a review of the incident. When the one-game suspension is imposed, the Coach shall be fined $10,000 – a fine that will double for each subsequent incident. The suspension shall be served unless, upon review of the incident, the Director of Hockey Operations, ...

Basically, the NHL can do whatever it likes after a review but the basic idea is that the coaches are responsible for preventing the game-end brawls that occur after the game is already pretty much decided.

2. In addition to the automatic instigator fine for the coach, Hartley was responsible for sending out three goons at the end of the game. The intent is pretty obvious. That would add to the fine.

Hartley did something similar last year and got a fine of $25K.

The NHL decided to waive the suspension for Engelland. I think there are several reasons. First, the league is saying this is Hartley's fault not the player's fault. Second, the league is also overlooking Hamhuis being a third man in so it kind of balances out the Engelland situation.

Personally, think that both Engelland and Hartley should be suspended but the league is pretty serious about eliminating these game-end brawls and they probably think the message is strong enough. After tax Hartley might be getting a million a year. A 50K fine will get his attention. And next time it goes to 100K (the doubling rule) so that is a pretty strong incentive.

How the Flames see it. :rolleyes:

CC6JfV_UgAAFDqg.png

About the only thing that I disagree with on this statement is the referee telling Hamhuis to doubleteam Engelland. He clearly engaged an ongoing fight on his own accord. Tough guy right there.

Other forums? And what "impartial" board do you spend most of your time on?

Never said I was impartial.

Go cry into your Engelland body pillow.

Wow, burn of the year. Good one. Uhm l...o...l?

About the only thing that I disagree with on this statement is the referee telling Hamhuis to doubleteam Engelland. He clearly engaged an ongoing fight on his own accord. Tough guy right there.

Never said I was impartial.

Wow, burn of the year. Good one. Uhm l...o...l?

Not surprised you agree with the first two sentences, you add nothing to this topic/community. go away.

FTR, if Calgary can come up with clean hits to knock a Sedin, Burrows or anyone else out power to them.

But Bollig, Bouma and Engelland are not even there just to intimidate. Ferland should have got 5 for his hack on Burrows wrists. Bollig made every effort to make sure he got as good a lick on Lack as he could. Wrestling behind the play seems to happen all the time. But goalies are supposed to be offered a measure of protection. It was actually Bollig, not Engelland, who triggered the melee at the end by assaulting Hamhuis...

Then everyone else on the Canucks should put up with such BS just because Calgary puts Engelland on the ice?

My god. After watching the replays, and reading through both your forums and the flames forums, I have to say that both sides are at fault for this incident. Yes, Hartley shouldn't have done what he done and his fine is justifiable.

But you people need to get off of your high horses. There's a reason(several actually) why Vancouver is one of the least liked and least respected teams in the league. I don't need to get into specifics here, as I'm sure that the reasons of the aforementioned has been brought up many times before on not only these forums but others as well.

But the Canucks are far from innocent. That picture above is disgusting. It takes two 'grown men' to beat on one guy? Then to throw in another sucker punch when the refs FINALLY decide to break it off?

And just an FYI; Stajan is far from goon material, and he got the worse of that particular fight. He was clearly overmatched. That Engelland (spelled right, I hope) does not deserve a suspension, regardless of how many people here believe otherwise, and general consensus on many other forums agree with this.

Pathetic.

Next time you want to sound balanced and neutral I suggest you leave your 'high horse' at Stampede Park. Other than that, great first post! Hopefully they get better from here on out...

Next time you want to sound balanced and neutral I suggest you leave your 'high horse' at Stampede Park. Other than that, great first post! Hopefully they get better from here on out...

Never said I was neutral. Yeah, I'm a flames fan. I'm a fan of all the Canadian hockey teams, even the Canucks and Oilers to some degree.

And I never once said that the Flames were innocent victims here. Their coach got fined. They took liberties against your players.

But so did/do the Canucks. Again, they are far from innocent. Diving? Yup, Burrows almost seems more like a Ballet dancer then a hockey player. Someone mentioned Bollig steamrolling Lack? I watched the game, he was after the puck, not the goaltender. And two other people landed on top of him after he fell down onto Lack. I watched, what, 3 different sucker punches against him while he's down and clearly trying to stand back up? Someone else mentioned Burrows getting slashed? So has Monahan, JH, Brodie.

Teams get dirty, yours is no exception.

Dont mind Engelland, he's usually a respectful tough guy, plus he helped out on the Sedin goal yesterday.

Bollig on the other hand is a guy who turned down Sestito a few times when he was a Canuck. He also turned down Shawn Thornton in the final and wouldn't get into it with Lucic when he was getting pushed around. Tough guy but picks his spots as a fourth liner which doesnt make much sense to me.

Archived