The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dan Hamhuis at Worlds (and on the Canucks)

JamesB

It only speaks to the utter hockey ignorance of many of our fans that Hammer features in lists of players to move on.

Some times I half wish some players like Dan would move on just to show how well they are valued and can play another clubs and to stick one up our "great and knowledgeable" fanbase.

It's hard to say everyone is entitled to their opinion when you read such bilge.

Go get'm Hammer!

This.

I dont know how people can say Hamhuis was one of the worst in the Flames series

I actually think that coaching makes a lot of difference. Look at how dominance team Canadian is, making me think that Todd Mclellan is a much better coach that WD and helps Dan Hamhuis playing better. If Todd goes to Edmonton in the summer, that could be a nightmare to us.

Feel bad for SJ, they probably let a great coach leave the same reason we let AV go few years ago...

I admit I am worried about Edmonton. Or, putting it another way, I think this is a good time to be an Edmonton fan. Obviously they just got a generational talent (McDavid). Their top young guys are continuing to improve, which is scary. And the finally acquired a good GM.

This summer they also have the opportunity to add a first rate coach like McLellan or maybe even Babcock. With Draistl and Nurse ready to contribute in addition to their other young guns, they will be good next year and for years to come.

If they could add a good veteran D like Hammer (if we are stupid enough to want him to move on at age 32) I see them as making the playoffs easily next year and becoming Cup contenders fairly soon.

I admit I am worried about Edmonton. Or, putting it another way, I think this is a good time to be an Edmonton fan. Obviously they just got a generational talent (McDavid). Their top young guys are continuing to improve, which is scary. And the finally acquired a good GM.

This summer they also have the opportunity to add a first rate coach like McLellan or maybe even Babcock. With Draistl and Nurse ready to contribute in addition to their other young guns, they will be good next year and for years to come.

If they could add a good veteran D like Hammer (if we are stupid enough to want him to move on at age 32) I see them as making the playoffs easily next year and becoming Cup contenders fairly soon.

people have been saying the exact same things about the oilers every summer for the last 5 years.

i'll believe it when i see it

I was talking to some friends after the Oilers won the draft lottery and I said that if I were Chiarelli, I would trade Hall for some defense and/or goaltending help.

With McDavid coming onboard, the Oil has plenty of offense and can afford to deal one of their young stars and Hall probably has the most value.

people have been saying the exact same things about the oilers every summer for the last 5 years.

i'll believe it when i see it

I didn't think Edmonton would be good at all as long as they don't get a good GM in there and get rid of the old boys, namely, Kevin Lowe from running the team.

They just did that and to top that off, they hired a very good GM. Even without McDavid, I would've said that Edmonton would be able to contend for the playoffs within a two to three years and now with McDavid, they can accelerate this and contend for the playoffs within 1 or 2 years.

Basically, addition of McDavid means that some of their top 6 wingers is now tradeable and can be used to obtain a very good defender in the summer and they can also sign a UFA as a stop gap until players like Nurse grows into their roles.

They might not make the playoffs next season but they won't suck like they did this season, which would be trouble for the Canucks, who obtained 10 out of 10 points playing against them.

I was talking to some friends after the Oilers won the draft lottery and I said that if I were Chiarelli, I would trade Hall for some defense and/or goaltending help.

With McDavid coming onboard, the Oil has plenty of offense and can afford to deal one of their young stars and Hall probably has the most value.

RNH is the obvious choice. I would keep Yakupov, Eberle, and Hall for McDavid.

For a defenceman that most of you seem to think is over the hill I would say he is playing well for Team Canada. Tied for 1st with the most assists and a +4 rating in just two games.Pretty good I would say.Keep it up Hammer.

Edler, Tanev and Hamhuis were our best 3 all season long, Sbisa, Bieksa and Weber (at times though) along with Stanton struggled. That's backed up by stats too, as the defence were split in half statistically. Problem is though that Edler, Tanev and Hamhuis are all essentially shutdown defencemen, with no true puck mover to play with.

In the ideal world, we keep those 3, move Bieksa, let Weber walk, keep Sbisa as our #7 guy who can play in case of injuries, and we find ourselves some elite puck movers.

Elite is a word that gets thrown around too often. Fact is, elite by definition is rare. I would consider elite to be an individual trophy candidate which is more than a national team player.

Having said that, you're right about the D on the Canucks. Edler isn't really a shutdown guy but that isn't important to the point. I believe that not much that hasn't been predicted by conservative posters on CDC will happen this summer. Except the addition of a puck moving defenseman.

edit: or a nasty piece of business who can clear the front of the net (one or the other or both would be nice)

As much as they have a good development program; the Wings for 20 years had a way of keeping their own & accumulating "past their prime" vets at good rates. And they played them in reduced roles, but that extended the careers of many guys. And then they had fresh legs in reduced roles, and were more dynamic with the time they were on the ice.

Larry Murphy

Brett Hull

All the Russians

Robitaille

Chelios

Lidstrom played till he was 43

etc

etc

The key is the correct rate on the next contract.

Ya, they had a guy named Bowman coaching the team then too

when the Coilers won the lottery, the guy that probably cheered the most was RNH. He no longer has to face every teams best shut down defensive systems and is now more open to be more creative.

I really wouldnt trade anyone of those guys. You dont just go out and aquire an Eberle or a Hall. If anything, I would trade Yakulov but maybe McJesus can work with him

Is he worth keeping even though this team has Tanev who basically makes Hamhuis redundant? Do we really need two top 4 defensemen who both provide minimal offense and hardly crack the PP?

I am by no means demanding he be traded but if the team's direction is towards getting younger, Hamhuis makes for an attractive piece to move.

this is a ridiculous statement. How is having two shutdown d redundant.... Should have minimum 2 shutdown d on the team. Doesn't hurt us.

I didn't think Edmonton would be good at all as long as they don't get a good GM in there and get rid of the old boys, namely, Kevin Lowe from running the team.

They just did that and to top that off, they hired a very good GM. Even without McDavid, I would've said that Edmonton would be able to contend for the playoffs within a two to three years and now with McDavid, they can accelerate this and contend for the playoffs within 1 or 2 years.

Basically, addition of McDavid means that some of their top 6 wingers is now tradeable and can be used to obtain a very good defender in the summer and they can also sign a UFA as a stop gap until players like Nurse grows into their roles.

They might not make the playoffs next season but they won't suck like they did this season, which would be trouble for the Canucks, who obtained 10 out of 10 points playing against them.

having a better gm, or even mcdavid, won't make players want to play there. they'll still have to hugely overpay for whatever middling talent is wanting to cash in with a huge payday and are willing to go there to do so, while any player with even a limited ntc and any even remotely desirable ufa will still have edmonton as a non-starter.

Not for me. Hall has a lot more value. But, if PC could find a team willing to give up what he needs for Nuge, then yes, I'd make that deal. The only one of the big names I wouldn't move is Eberle. He's the future captain, IMO.

Hammer is skilled. He can dominate on an international stage against lesser opponents with top notch team mates.

In the playoffs against Calgary we saw that Hammer is not able to handle NHL playoff physicality.

If he had 3 other guys in our defence group that could play he'd and we'd have been ok.

Hammer is our best defencemen.

But thats really not saying much right now.

(Watching Garrison I think he's as good or better than Hammer currently... too bad we let him go.

And Garrison is pretty mediocre in comparison to other defencemen around the league.

What I'm saying is Edler, Bieksa and Tanev aren't great. Hammer maybe... but he's no superstar. He can't carry a team.

Nashvilles got Weber, but also Josi, Jones and Franson (why can we not get a guy like that at trade deadlines!?)

Great team but they got knocked out too.)

Hamhuis has more assists than Crosby and giroux. It's clear the Vancouver eliteness is still running in his blood.

Bonino has more points and goals than Kesler. So it's clear we won the trade... Kesler didnt make the team because he's bad. Not because Anaheim is still playing lol

Archived