The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumor/Speculation) Franson: Vancouver 'would be a very intriguing spot'

I don't think it is worth to pay 6+ for someone who is only great offensively. He was the capitals 5th defenseman all season. When you have guys like Orpik, Alzner, Niskanen and especially Carlson playing against the tough opposition then you're going to get the sheltered minutes. Which was great because Green is good when he doesn't play against the tougher forwards. He won't have that luxury here. He would be against the tougher competition becuase he would be on our top 4 not top 6. Our division is a lot harder than the metro.

Green is much better than Franson offensively but Franson is a better defensively and plays physically while having offensive upside.

You took out of context what I said of complete, it wasn't about their talent level. Green and Franson are not top 2 D, they're both top 4. I meant complete in the fact that Franson can play in all 3 zones and has more attributes in his game. Green is pretty much just an offensive defenseman.

Also more than one move would have to be made in order to make the cap to sign Green and re-sign the RFA's we need to re-sign. We might only need to move Bieksa in order to make enough cap for Franson.

Also we would need to replace the physicality Bieksa brings and Franson does that and more.

In the end I would much rather have two pairings that we can throw out against any forwards and in any situation than just one.

And I don't think it's worth $5M+ to pay someone who's only decent offensively and defensively, is on the slower side and would be redundant for the role of a physical, decent 2-way D with some moderate offense (Edler).

We don't need another physical two way guy. We've got one. Buying something you don't need because it's cheaper is not the answer. And my biggest concern with Franson is his speed. We lack it. So does he.

Regardless, neither of us is likely to get our way given Benning's comments on the $5m / $6m+ end of the market. As I said, If Green's too expensive, so is Franson. They're both too expensive and one's redundant. Realistically we're hoping we can sign McQuaid to play on our 3rd pairing for say ~$3m

Edler, Tanev

Hamhuis, Bieksa

Sbisa, McQuaid

Stanton, Weber/Clendening

...is likely something like what we're looking at.

And I don't think it's worth $5M+ to pay someone who's only decent offensively and defensively, is on the slower side and would be redundant for the role of a physical, decent 2-way D with some moderate offense (Edler).

We don't need another physical two way guy. We've got one. Buying something you don't need because it's cheaper is not the answer. And my biggest concern with Franson is his speed. We lack it. So does he.

Regardless, neither of us is likely to get our way given Benning's comments on the $5m / $6m+ end of the market. As I said, If Green's too expensive, so is Franson. They're both too expensive and one's redundant. Realistically we're hoping we can sign McQuaid to play on our 3rd pairing for say ~$3m

Edler, Tanev

Hamhuis, Bieksa

Sbisa, McQuaid

Stanton, Weber/Clendening

...is likely something like what we're looking at.

And Corrado disappears in mid air! :P

...McQuaid is more redundant than Franson. He brings nothing that our other defenders already do. Franson isn't a Doughty. He's not perfect but he's good offesnivsly. You don't want him because you expect him to be something he isn't. Paired with Hamhuis, Franson could take off.

I'd rather pay an extra $1.5m and have Franson than McQuaid.

And Corrado disappears in mid air! :P

...McQuaid is more redundant than Franson. He brings nothing that our other defenders already do. Franson isn't a Doughty. He's not perfect but he's good offesnivsly. You don't want him because you expect him to be something he isn't. Paired with Hamhuis, Franson could take off.

I'd rather pay an extra $1.5m and have Franson than McQuaid.

Corrado's in Utica.

We don't have a 3rd pairing big, physical crease clearing, mean SOB, particularly on that right side. FAR from redundant. Franson's just like Edler or Garrison, they'll succeed best paired with a good offensive guy who can drive the play and allow them to sit back, play defensively/physically and get fed passes for their hard one timer. I think it's you who views him as something he isn't.

Franson's goin to be likely $2.5m+ more than McQuaid.

Corrado's in Utica.

We don't have a 3rd pairing big, physical crease clearing, mean SOB, particularly on that right side. FAR from redundant. Franson's just like Edler or Garrison, they'll succeed best paired with a good offensive guy who can drive the play and allow them to sit back, play defensively/physically and get fed passes for their hard one timer. I think it's you who views him as something he isn't.

Franson's goin to be likely $2.5m+ more than McQuaid.

Corrado won't be waiver eligible next year.

We just extended Sbisa who plays a physical game. And what would that do that McQuaid can clear the crease? You can sign someone who can do that for less than a mill if that's what you want lol. An offensive Dman is a far bigger need than just a tough guy. I'm not sure you know how horrendous our defensive production was last year. If you don't, Yannik Weber led the team in goals. From our defenders, only Edler has an offensive game. Other than that, no one can be relied on. Weber is more of a 7th dman anyways and he was spoonfed PP time and thus his production was too. Bieksa no real offense , Tanev no real offense, Sbisa no real offense, Hamhuis is decent, Edler has the tools. Only 1 guy (Edler) is offensively gifted at this point in time lol. Corrado/Clendening are but they cant be relied on to as youngsters.

And if Franson signs here, it'll have to be for less than $5m which is very much within the realm of possibility.

"We'll start with eight defencemen, but we want to have 11 D capable of playing in the NHL," Benning told Jim Jamieson of the Vancouver Province. "That's something I learned this year from being in the West. The travel wears the team down a bit and it seems to take a toll on your defence."

"The season doesn't start for four months," Benning told the Province. "If we want to add a certain type of player by trade, it's something we'd look at. Like, say, a better transition defenseman."

"If there's a player out there who could benefit our team and be a good fit," Benning said of being a player in free agency. "But we won't be in the high end of the market, the $5 million or $6 million guys."

...look at that and compare McQuaid then Franson to JB's description. One clearly fits the bill more than the other here by a landslide

I'd be willing to do a shorter term and more cash. OFC this doesn't fit the Canucks pay structure at all but right now him coming here is just a pipe dream anyways.

I agree. From everything I have read he is very interested in being a Leaf again, but hey, I'm reading it from a lot of Toronto based media sources so I'll take it for what it is.

I haven't seen him play a lot so hard to give much on the eye test but his advanced stats are excellent. Everyone says how bad he is defensively but his stats tell a different story. Right shot, offensive D-man, 6'5" but doesn't really use his size. TO was a hard place for him because almost every D man they have is an offensive D man so he didn't really get an appropriate partner. Every D man he was paired with though had worse corsi without him.

Not great depth of field to pick from and he seems the most natural fit of the UFAs. Not a perfect player but those don't get to UFA any more. Also he is YOUNG.

Seems we have the perfect partner for him here in Hamhuis. Would need to trade Bieksa though. Moves Sbisa back to third pairing along with Corrado/Clendinning/please not Weber, please not Weber.

Not going to happen though unless Bieksa moved and two of Kassian/Higgins/Burrows/Hansen (or Miller however unlikely that is).

Corrado won't be waiver eligible next year.

We just extended Sbisa who plays a physical game. And what would that do that McQuaid can clear the crease? You can sign someone who can do that for less than a mill if that's what you want lol. An offensive Dman is a far bigger need than just a tough guy. I'm not sure you know how horrendous our defensive production was last year. If you don't, Yannik Weber led the team in goals. From our defenders, only Edler has an offensive game. Other than that, no one can be relied on. Weber is more of a 7th dman anyways and he was spoonfed PP time and thus his production was too. Bieksa no real offense , Tanev no real offense, Sbisa no real offense, Hamhuis is decent, Edler has the tools. Only 1 guy (Edler) is offensively gifted at this point in time lol. Corrado/Clendening are but they cant be relied on to as youngsters.

And if Franson signs here, it'll have to be for less than $5m which is very much within the realm of possibility.

...look at that and compare McQuaid then Franson to JB's description. One clearly fits the bill more than the other here by a landslide

As far as I know, Corrado's still got one year before he's a waiver risk.

LOL I'm at the head of the get an offensive d-man parade there chief. But Green is that guy, not Franson. Franson is comprable to an Edler or a Garrison. If you're looking for offense you want a fast Green or an Ehrhoff (or Karlsson etc) type to set up guys like Edler, Franson or Garrison (or just shoot it themselves). Franson is not an offensive D. He's a physical, two way D with some offense (when used/paired appropriately).

But beyond that DESPERATE (which I completely agree with) need for a fast, offensive D, we also have a secondary need for more size and snarl, particularly on our right side which is small at both the NHL and prospect level. Ideally a guy that could fill in on the second pair if there's injuries. McQuaid.

It would have to be less than $5m but he's not going to take that. He'll likely get $5.5m-$6m. AKA out of our price range.

I was never intending McQuaid to fit an offensive d-man role.

I think Franson is underrated due to the TO factor for sure, but I also don't believe he's worth what he's trying to command.

Green is also not worth he'll be commanding and he probably will not be signing in Canada. Just a feeling.

Benning seems to be interested in short-term stop-gaps, and neither of these players are that. They are both after max cash.

There is the Giants/BC connection with Franson, but there's all sorts of cap issues and tradeds here to work out before we can even think about signing him. I could care less about advanced stats being used to defend players anymore when they've been scratched by their most recent team, but it's hard to get excited about a UFA that you'd have to make a hole elsewhere before taking him on anyway.

Not sure what McQuaid will be after, but certainly a lot less than the other players. Perhaps a more reasonable acquisition of the stop-gap variety if Bieksa is on his way out.

Unless factors change considerably (a major contract or two getting shipped out with minimal cap return) I believe JB will stick to his statement and not consider a contract near $5 mil.

So that means No Green, No Franson.

The young guys will patrol that RH side.

Unless factors change considerably (a major contract or two getting shipped out with minimal cap return) I believe JB will stick to his statement and not consider a contract near $5 mil.

So that means No Green, No Franson.

The young guys will patrol that RH side.

Precisely why we need someone McQuaid-esque IMO. Even more so if Bieksa is gone some time this year/next summer. Our right side is small.

Even still, we desperately need a top 4 (preferably top 2) capable D-man on that right side...there's none on the horizon. Subban/Clendening are about the closest thing on that side and they're both smaller, project more as bottom/maybe middle pair guys and especially in Subban's case at LEAST 2+ years out.

Precisely why we need someone McQuaid-esque IMO. Even more so if Bieksa is gone some time this year/next summer. Our right side is small.

Even still, we desperately need a top 4 (preferably top 2) capable D-man on that right side...there's none on the horizon. Subban/Clendening are about the closest thing on that side and they're both smaller, project more as bottom/maybe middle pair guys and especially in Subban's case at LEAST 2+ years out.

I'd be perfectly fine with a Sbisa type contract for McQuaid assuming we can move Bieksa.

Franson at

4.5 million, hell yes.

5 million would be ok

5.5 million pass

4th dman paired with Hammer, PP guy.

Pretty much this.

If he actually wants to come here at a discount great. He isn't exactly what we are looking for but is definitely an upgrade on Bieksa at this point.

If he just wants to get paid nobody should really have a problem with that. I had zero problem with Erhoff putting himself in a position to cash in, same with Matthias this year. They have very short careers which can end at any time, and this is an opportunity to set themselves, their children, and their grandchildren up for their entire lives.

I bet the best offers for Franson will be closer to $7 million at full 7 year terms. Those will be on teams most likely with the least possibility of winning and in the worst locales. He would more likely end up in the 46 million range on a 5-6 year term on a fringe playoff team.

While the Canucks do lack the puck moving defenseman, the more pressing need on the back end is defensemen who make forwards pay the price. Defensemen who can pummel back an aggressive forecheck.

This team had no answer for Ferland. Edler was neutralized by him as was Sbisa. The Canucks need a defenseman like Adam Mcquaid, who while not a Norris contender, is way more prone to laying the smack down than Edler or Franson.

Also Benning is eventually going to have to either get lucky and have one of the upcoming blueliners become a true top D or suck it up and pay top dollar for an established one.

Hamhuis is the exact type of d partner that Franson needs to play beside.

The team would certainly have to convince a couple vets to waive in order to make a signing of this magnitude.

I honestly dont think theres all that much interest in Miller and Bieksa is not likely to waive and would easily fetch more than the 2.5M hes slated to make if he tested UFA, which is all the more reason to resist... Potential buyout? I think theres a possibility. Bieksa would get 2/3 of the 2.5M (1.67M) which cap hit would be divided by 2 times his contract length (1.67/2 = 0.833M). Its a reasonably cheap buyout and very plausible should there be a UFA they have interest in chasing.

Trade Hansen for DPs. (Rather move Higgins, but Hansen is younger and worth more on the market imo) 2.5M freed up.

Buy out Bieksa (if refuses to be traded). 0.833 cap hit. (3.77 freed up)

Total of 6.27 million freed up

Sign one of Franson/Green. Id go with Franson being 2 years younger and far more physical. Green is a better offensive player but has an injury plagued past. Theyre both defensively suspect. Itll cost at least 5x5, but likely more to get either of them.

Resign Richardson for 1 year.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baertschi Bonino Vrbata

Higgins Horvat Kassian

Kennins Richardson Dorsett

Vey

Macmillan

theyd have to make more moves to get Virtanen a serious chance, but a move like that could be made around training camp should he earn a spot.

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Franson

Sbisa Clendenning

Weber

Corrado

Stanton (imo Likely traded after lack of deployment last season)

Miller

Lack/Markstrom (Lack likely traded as Markstrom would get anywhere near the same trade value)

Utica:

Shinkaruk

Cassels

Gaunce

Jensen

Friesen

Grenier

Stewart

Zalewski

Fox

Veterans?

Andersson

Subban

Pedan

Hutton

McEneny

Sautner

Cedarholm

Eriksson? UFA?

Cannata

IDK, Itd probably just be best to avoid any significant UFA signings and see what might be available for nest offseason, unless Benning and co are sold on a guy on Franson, whom for me has a few to many question marks to land a contract like hes going to get.

While the Canucks do lack the puck moving defenseman, the more pressing need on the back end is defensemen who make forwards pay the price. Defensemen who can pummel back an aggressive forecheck.

This team had no answer for Ferland. Edler was neutralized by him as was Sbisa. The Canucks need a defenseman like Adam Mcquaid, who while not a Norris contender, is way more prone to laying the smack down than Edler or Franson.

Also Benning is eventually going to have to either get lucky and have one of the upcoming blueliners become a true top D or suck it up and pay top dollar for an established one.

The main reason they got pounded is they didn't move the puck quick enough. Bikes beat the snot out of Ferland, it didn't keep him from coming out head hunting the next shift. A crease clearing defenceman does nothing against a forechecker.

Don't get me wrong I think we need more size and snarl on D but that won't stop the forecheck.

Not sure who is giving away that top d man as it has been a while since one came to market. Hopefully the contracts to Toews and Kane will bring Seabrook to the UFA market next year when we should have some cap space.

Archived