The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumor/Speculation) Franson: Vancouver 'would be a very intriguing spot'

Yes. We need a puck moving Dman. Franson is very obviously someone we should be targeting in the offseason.

Franson isn't a PMD just like Edler isn't a PMD.

He won't sign for anything close to $4M.

Franson's not bad defensively but a lot of people seem to be confused as to what a PMD is. Guys like Franson, Edler etc are physical, 2-way D with some offense. They are not speedy, offensively gifted PMD's.

Just because a guy can put up decent points and has a hard slapper does not make him a PMD.

I don't think that this year's UFAs are that attractive, at least not for us. That being said, i do think that Franson is one of the few attractive ones. He's only 27 and should be good for the next 5 years at least. It makes me kinda concerned though since he didn't really live up to the expectations with the Preds. Definitely a risk at 5M, but could also be worth it.

Or, he could just continue to disappear as soon as the power play is over.

Unless Franson is willing to take a discount under 5M then I don't see Benning going after him. Franson could make more on the open market so it is probably unlikely that he would sign for Bieksa-like money.

Benning did state we was staying away from the 5/6M guys probably because we would have to move more than one player to make enough room to re-sign some of our RFAs as well as sign that 5/6M guy. That's easier said than done.

If he does get a defenseman it will probably be a top 6 D who's reliable in his own zone in order to add more depth defensively.

Sure for like 4.5 for 3 years. BUT, why do we need him? We aint aiming for the cup and its time for spots to be left open for our own prospects and not for unrestricted agents.

Because our defense is like a swiss-cheese? And our key Defender getting older? And I guess that our D-Prospects aren't ready to step in for a full season.

But yeah I'm with u, that our prospects should get the open spots. I love Juicy, but I want to see that Benning is trading him, then we have a spot for Franson.

Bieksa -> Toronto for 2nd + 4th

Try to sign Franson under $5

Hamhuis - Franson

Edler - Tanev

Stanton/Sbisa/Pedan - Clendening/Corrado

Because our defense is like a swiss-cheese? And our key Defender getting older? And I guess that our D-Prospects aren't ready to step in for a full season.

But yeah I'm with u, that our prospects should get the open spots. I love Juicy, but I want to see that Benning is trading him, then we have a spot for Franson.

Bieksa -> Toronto for 2nd + 4th

Try to sign Franson under $5

Hamhuis - Franson

Edler - Tanev

Stanton/Sbisa/Pedan - Clendening/Corrado

Why wouldn't Toronto just sign Franson for under $5M rather than trade assets for Bieksa at $4.6M in that case?

OK fine. "Offensive minded" Dman. Whatever. Fact is that nobody on our blueline was able to put up points this season.

Blueline couldn't score- Franson can score- We should go after Franson.

Derp.

Say it with me now....

"Physical 2-way D with some offense"

The funny thing about those guys as they need offensive players to get points with as they're not primary drivers of offense. It's no different than Edler.

Edler when we had Ehrhoff and/or Salo = 40-50 points. Edler with Tanev = 30 points.

We need an Ehrhoff/Salo, not another Edler. We've already got an Edler and just got rid of a second, redundant one (Garrison) last year. Do you really think the GM who did that is going to get another player of the same mold for even more money this summer?

Derp indeed.

Say it with me now....

"Physical 2-way D with some offense"

The funny thing about those guys as they need offensive players to get points with as they're not primary drivers of offense. It's no different than Edler.

Edler when we had Ehrhoff and/or Salo = 40-50 points. Edler with Tanev = 30 points.

We need an Ehrhoff/Salo, not another Edler. We've already got an Edler and just got rid of a second, redundant one (Garrison) last year. Do you really think the GM who did that is going to get another player of the same mold for even more money this summer?

Derp indeed.

EDLER - EHRHOFF

HAMHUIS - FRANSON

BARTOWSKI - TANEV

MILLER

MARKSTROM

If we put Bieksa on the market, there will be 20 teams inquiring. People underestimate the toughness level he brings to the team.

At his cap hit, he is still a bargain in this league.

Doesn't matter if 29 teams come knocking when he isn't interested in moving. He wants to stay, and likely his teams he'd be interested in going to would be as limited as Kesler's.

Doesn't matter if 29 teams come knocking when he isn't interested in moving. He wants to stay, and likely his teams he'd be interested in going to would be as limited as Kesler's.

Thing is, Bieksa has a NTC, not a NMC. And his value has fallen low enough that it wouldn't be too much of a hit to the organization just to put him on waivers. But not so low that a bottom-feeding team needing a veteran defender wouldn't scoop him up for nothing. Especially for a budget team trying to reach the cap floor, since his full salary is 2.1 less than his cap hit.

So if JB thinks the 4.6 million of cap space is enough of a return to lose Bieksa (which it just may be), he's going to do what is best for the team. Because of this possibility, Bieksa may agree to waive for a few teams that he'd prefer over Buffalo/Arizona/etc.

I think there would be a great fit for him in Columbus.

Thing is, Bieksa has a NTC, not a NMC. And his value has fallen low enough that it wouldn't be too much of a hit to the organization just to put him on waivers. But not so low that a bottom-feeding team needing a veteran defender wouldn't scoop him up for nothing. Especially for a budget team trying to reach the cap floor, since his full salary is 2.1 less than his cap hit.

So if JB thinks the 4.6 million of cap space is enough of a return to lose Bieksa (which it just may be), he's going to do what is best for the team. Because of this possibility, Bieksa may agree to waive for a few teams that he'd prefer over Buffalo/Arizona/etc.

I think there would be a great fit for him in Columbus.

Ok here's one thing you never do to a guy like Bieksa; put him on waivers.

That is extreme foolish behavior.

Ok here's one thing you never do to a guy like Bieksa; put him on waivers.

That is extreme foolish behavior.

It's certainly "last resort" territory and I doubt it will come to that but I don't think foolish is the right language.

My guess is he agrees to be moved at the deadline and we carry on with a largely unchanged d-core for most of the year. Quite unfortunately.

On a plus side, next summer's UFA pool does appear to be pretty attractive. Pretty hard sell for this coming season though.

Archived