The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[speculation] Ehrhoff moving on from Pittsburgh

Don't want him. He bolted and got paid so good for him but how bad can you be if the Sabres pay you to go away

whats this guy talking about? Ehrhoff knew his value. Under him we had 2 art ross winners, and he was our Duncan Keith to the Sedins. Things were positive offensively for the Canucks with him around. Mike Gillis low balled him offering him Bieksa money. Why would a stupid gm do something stupid like that? it was a insult on top of that, MIke Gillis didn't come back with a counter offer.

whats this guy talking about? Ehrhoff knew his value. Under him we had 2 art ross winners, and he was our Duncan Keith to the Sedins. Things were positive offensively for the Canucks with him around. Mike Gillis low balled him offering him Bieksa money. Why would a stupid gm do something stupid like that? it was a insult on top of that, MIke Gillis didn't come back with a counter offer.

That's a stretch if I've ever seen one.

At the right cost, why not? It would be good to have a player who can skate the puck up and create some space with speed for the Sedins, who will then use that space to create chances and pass the puck into the net.

He should go back to Buffalo, where he has the best chance of winning the Stanley Cup.

I know eh? Eichel, Reinhart, and... Hodgson is probably going to be one of the best center depth in the league for years to come.

I would love to have him back too. He was one of my all time favourite Canucks players. He was such a perfect fit with the team and had an huge impact on it. Chemistry that good is a rare thing. He was a big part of the reason why the Canucks were so successful in 2011. 50 points from him that year, holy crap, that's a lot of points for a defenseman. I would even go as far as saying he was the missing piece the Canucks needed - an elite PMD whose playing style fits well with the Canucks. His departure left a void that was never replaced. Please bring this guy back. Those kind of players do not grow on trees. If you're lucky enough to a guy like him, you keep him.

I would love to have him back too. He was one of my all time favourite Canucks players. He was such a perfect fit with the team and had an huge impact on it. Chemistry that good is a rare thing. He was a big part of the reason why the Canucks were so successful in 2011. 50 points from him that year, holy crap, that's a lot of points for a defenseman. I would even go as far as saying he was the missing piece the Canucks needed - an elite PMD whose playing style fits well with the Canucks. His departure left a void that was never replaced. Please bring this guy back. Those kind of players do not grow on trees. If you're lucky enough to a guy like him, you keep him.

Yea but we have some silly Canucks fans here who think we need to move on, despite proving his worth has a legit offensive threat.

2010 he was a +30 for crying out loud, and if Sami salo or Alex elder either 1 played at least 90% of the season in 2011, ehrhoff would have probably been a +35 and 65 points as a dman. He also had to play shot down duties instead of focusing on all offence because, bieksa, hammer, elder salo and even Keith Ballard all missed certain amount of games due to injuries. Ehrhoff did everything he could have possibly done as a dman during that year.

But looks look like they are happy with clendenning and weber.

Signing him to play with Edler would free up Tanev to play with Sbisa.

Edler-Ehrhoff

Sbisa-Tanev

Hamhuis-Weber

Corrado-Clendenning

Each guy can skate and move the puck including young guys Corrado and Clendenning.

agree with this. Except for keeping Weber. Would rather have Stanton

agree with this. Except for keeping Weber. Would rather have Stanton

Weber is better in most facets. He was our leading goal scorer among defencemen and his underlying numbers show he can be an effective #4/5 defenceman. Stanton.in almost every facet this season was replacement level he was basically a #7/8 guy, I don't think he'll be back next year.

Weber is better in most facets. He was our leading goal scorer among defencemen and his underlying numbers show he can be an effective #4/5 defenceman. Stanton.in almost every facet this season was replacement level he was basically a #7/8 guy, I don't think he'll be back next year.

The thing with Weber is that he gets too overconfident and ends up overcomplicating things when playing a top 4 role. You saw that in the Calgary series where IMO he was the worst defenseman on the Canucks.

Stanton looked like a 4/5 guy with Bieksa the year before and didn't get the chance to play with him this season for one reason or another. He also looked great with Clendening.

Yea but we have some silly Canucks fans here who think we need to move on, despite proving his worth has a legit offensive threat.

2010 he was a +30 for crying out loud, and if Sami salo or Alex elder either 1 played at least 90% of the season in 2011, ehrhoff would have probably been a +35 and 65 points as a dman. He also had to play shot down duties instead of focusing on all offence because, bieksa, hammer, elder salo and even Keith Ballard all missed certain amount of games due to injuries. Ehrhoff did everything he could have possibly done as a dman during that year.

But looks look like they are happy with clendenning and weber.

Yes, but we have some silly Canucks fans here who think trade values are based on long, long past production, such as 6 seasons ago when a player was 27, instead of what the player will bring on a term contract starting at age 33.

Probably everyone will acknowledge that some current Canucks in their 30's are not the players they were 6 years ago (and some are always proposing getting rid of them) but for some reason many don't acknowledge the same thing for players who haven't spent the last couple of years playing for other teams.

Signing Ehrhoff would not bring the player from 2009-10, it would bring that portion of that player that will still be left in 2015-20?? (last year depends on length of contract.)

I'm not saying Hoff has nothing left. He does. However, giving stats from what a player was 6 seasons ago and expecting to get the same player is a kind of thinking that will more frequently than not lead to overpaying for the player.

On occasion one gets a player that performs well late into his 30's. It happens. More frequently the player declines and by the last year of his contract the fans are complaining.

btw, when you say Hoff was +30 in 2010 and could have been +35, note that during the regular season 2009-10 he was actually +36, during the playoffs -1. Of course, in 2013-14 he was -27. Those figures have little to do with the quality of production a team would get from him starting in 2015-16.

We have very little, NHL ready, left side D-depth. Pedan is probably the next closest guy (pending further trades/UFA signings). We need a spare there for injuries.

We keep Stanton and one of Weber/Clendening or maybe Corrado get moved. We don't need/have space for three right side 6/7 D men.

He's not the same player! It'd be like having a 2nd Bieksa without the grit.

That's because he didn't have the Sedins anymore. Without the Sedins, Ehrhoff is a borderline top 4. With them, he's an excellent top 4 (top 2 in 2011) and a powerplay wizard. They go together like meat and potatoes.

Archived