The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] Who actually believes a 're-tool' works when the key core players are 35 years old?

BanTSN

How can you bash on the Sedins... These guys just finished in the top 10 in league scoring as 35 year olds? Anybody in the NHL management would laugh at how us fans disrespect the two best players in our franchise history,. I don't think we're that far off at becoming contenders, if Jake & Bo can become franchise players which I don't see why not as there both top 10 picks and are built like horses we'll be fine.

This off-season and next season are huge for us, if we free up some spots by trading Higgins, letting go of Richardson/Vey for the young guys and being smart and offloading Vrbata for a 1st at deadling one of Hamhuis/Bieksa for a 1st(re-sign the other to a cheap contract). We would have 3 first round picks, and a boatload of money to attract 1 or 2 free agents( please Seabrook/Ladd). If the young guys Jake/Horvat/Kassian/Sven can take the next step like Calgarys young guys, along with the Sedins we will be in great position to succeed come 2016-2017.

Focus on the defense, and give young guys a chance to improve and we'll be fine. We have guys to be excited about Shink, McCann, Virtanen, Bo, Cassels, Sven and Kassian

And this!

Anaheim did a quick retool. After firing Mike Babcock, they made the playoffs by signing the legend scotty.

The only way to save a rebuild is to sign the right guys. At this moment, there are no free agents that can save this team. So, yep. That leaves option 2, trading away some of the veterans and getting some solid young guys. So yeah.

Benning got 2 big free agents in Vrbata and Miller, and it still wasnt nearly enough. Until Horvat, Virtanen, McCann and Cassels get a few more years of maturity we are going to be mediocre. I dont think its Benning and Linden that are against more of a rebuild but you cant force whats not ready.

Bartchi, Virtanen, Horvat, Clendenning, (Grenier maybe) are all going to be regulars next year. Thats a lot of young blood.

Do you realize what a rebuild entials? I don't think you do. People just seem to assume, you have one or two bad seasons pick up a couple of top picks, they turn out to be the next Toews and Crosby's and then bam you are instant cup contenders, making it to the conference finals every year.

Sorry doesn't work out that way. Rebuilding relies on so much luck. Not only do you have to luck out and get the right spot (2nd and 3rd often become better players than the 1st overall), you also have to luck out and rebuild in the correct years.

In 2006 3rd overall gets you Jonathan Toews

In 2007 3rd overall gets you Kyle Turris.

One is the greatest captain since Sakic and Yzerman, the other (yes a good player) isn't even a first line center on most teams. Heck hawks understand this the better than most, their 3rd overall two years prior to that Toews pick, ended up being Cam Barker.

This is well said...

I believe that the Canucks can and will contend, even with the "support" of their "fans" as they have great leadership, Torts was right the core is old and stale but wait then the twins both pull back into the top 15 for points this year, Edler was washed, up missed out on a bag of pucks from Detroit, How about his uncanny ability to call out players when needed, Lou comes back from Team Canada as the backup to ride the pine for a heritage classic because he was giving the team the best odds to win. I believe Torts was more correct when he stated "I deserved to be fired".

I am pretty sure that the lot of people asking for a complete break down of the Canucks are the same people that said they wouldn't make the playoffs this year. I am pretty sure that the fans of many of the other teams would be happy to make the playoffs as that is the first part of contending for the Stanley Cup. The Canucks were an exciting team this year, many other teams didn't loose near the amount of man games to the whole defensive core and still role through, I am not content with mediocrity but even if I thought this team didn't stand a chance in hell to win every night, I would rather see them try than trade all of their players for (according to cdc going rate), bag of pucks. If the Oilers were to continue to lose for the next 6 years and just acquire high draft picks, bet that would be exciting for the fans. I don't see how this seems like the best option.

The Canucks have some good players on the team they also have good players coming up the rankings. When the twins superseded Naslund and Big Bert, they earned it or maybe it was Anson Carter?, If the twins still outscore the other lines they should be considered our first line. What was considered to be one of WD coaching flaws was not playing the twins in offensive opportunities, although injuries didn't help. In back to back years we have had a defenseman represent Canada (from what I hear this team is pretty good). Why don't you try cheering what this team does do or has as opposed to what they don't. I have a feeling even if the Canucks traded everybody, and threw the games they still wouldn't do it how the "losing fans" would like as they seem impossible to please.

Torts helped them lose last year isn't that enough?

In answer to the question asked as the headline of the thread, I believe a re-tool can work.

Of course, it takes good management and the team might not succeed in making the playoffs every year. With good management I believe a team can remain on the bubble or better each year while it prepares for future success.

I have reservations about moves made by this management, so I'm not saying this re-tool necessarily will work-just that it can if managed well.

Blowing things up and doing a full rebuild merely requires management that isn't poor-a lower standard than is required of a "re-tool."

'Re-tool' is just a word-friendly version of 're-build'...you know, what is really going on here.

The Canucks don't have much chance of doing any serious winning in the next 3 years while the Sedins are here, so as much as I hate to say it, their presence here during that time is kind of irrelevant, IMO. What does matter is the progress of all the young guys coming in filling in around them, and subsequently replacing them. It's just that this process can't happen all in one year. To me, the Sedins are in their emeritus years already.

Whether the Twins finish their careers in Van or not is irrelevant to me. Great players who still can play at a high level. Should they

be part of a Van re-tool or re-build? Depends on how Benning sees their contribution versus what he could deal them for. Do they

fit the identity he is trying to establish with the Canucks? Can he deal them and for what?

I have always been of the opinion that no player is greater then the team. That means any player can be traded. It is always about what comes back.

Classic collapse teams that have rebuilt will contend for the CUP this year. I suggest FLA, BUF and EDM will all contend for the CUP before Vancouver does.

Detroit model?...should look closer at the Chicago model.

What has Detroit done lately?...the same thing the Canucks have done. So yeah, we are following the Detroit model

Alternatively, Chicago got great draft picks (Toews, Kane, Sharp, Keith, Seabrook, Hjarlmerson)...paid them less than what they are worth for years...to allow them to make smart decisions with Hossa and company. Then they had to pay their stars the money that they deserve. Yet, they still managed to retool on the fly. Trading Buff, Ladd, Verstegg, Bolland and keeping majority of the core (notice 3 players are D-men). In one year, they managed to come back from winning the cup and letting half their team go. Management addressed the needs of the team and getting quality in return...in addition, their young players like Shaw and Saad have met expectations and their core group are in their prime with 3 good years left.

Chicago's management did the retool in one year; so it can be done.

The jury is still out with Benning because of the Miller trade and not doing anything with the defence.

In answer to the question asked as the headline of the thread, I believe a re-tool can work.

Of course, it takes good management and the team might not succeed in making the playoffs every year. With good management I believe a team can remain on the bubble or better each year while it prepares for future success.

I have reservations about moves made by this management, so I'm not saying this re-tool necessarily will work-just that it can if managed well.

Blowing things up and doing a full rebuild merely requires management that isn't poor-a lower standard than is required of a "re-tool."

Re-building has a lot to do with luck.

1. Your veterans have contracts who expire at around the same time and easily moveable

2. Need to get draft lucky. Good chance you end up with the third or fourth pick, which is a big drop from the 1st overall. On top of that, you have to hope that the first overall pick is a star and not just a good talent. Even at first overall - Yakupov, Fluery, Johnson, DiPietro, Stefan, Phillips, Berard, Jovanovski, Daigle, and Hamrlik are not players you can build a team around.

Re-building also runs the risk of losing HUGE amounts of cash, as the entire fan base drops off. As much as CDC likes to moan and complain about not winning a cup (like 29 other teams in the league every year) cheering for a last place team is AWFUL.

I'm not exactly sure what the dividing line between a rebuild and a retool is, but at the beginning of this past season, I was hoping more a more dramatic rebuild. Not so much dumping all the veterans, but not signing any new ones either.

Vrbata was an excellent signing. If your goal was to simply make the playoffs. Mission accomplished.

The Miller signing I hated from the get go. If anyone cares to go back and look at the Miller signing thread, you can see my thoughts on that one.

People can talk about how the draft is a crap shoot and bring up the Oilers' failures, but the fact is, the higher you pick, the better your chances of landing a franchise level player. Think back to the last two times the Canucks have been to the Cup finals and think about who the team leaders were.

1994: Trevor Linden. 2nd overall.

2011: Daniel and Henrik. 2nd and 3rd overall.

Stop pretending this is all part of some grand plan. The team is retooling, but ownership was not willing to miss the playoffs and the revenue that comes with it.

the "retool", is about placing your youth into good situations so that they can develop properly and take over the core in due time. See Detroit... They consistently have young players to feed into the core.... From Yzerman/Federov/Lidstrom/Osgood to Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Kronwall/Howard and on to Nyquist/Tatar/Mrazek/Mantha/Larkin/Pulkinen.... Its always re-tooling itself.

THIS is what Benning and Linden want to achieve. A franchise that turns itself over consistently. THATS the retool, and why theyve been so aggressive in finding players in that 22-26 year old range, because we have an entire generation of re-tooling players missing from our organization due to horrid drafting. They have to plug this hole in order to let the next generation simmer for a bit, not thrown into situations they arent yet ready for.

Tampa Bay may have a Stamkos and Hedman, but lets be serious, that teams motor is the Calder Cup winning Norfolk Admirals from a couple seasons ago. Go look at that roster http://theahl.com/championship-players-s1157 ... and be amazed of what good drafting and proper development can do. THAT is the "retool". Its an ongoing process that produces longevity.

This is what they have already begun building in Utica and its going to take time for it to mature, but so long that they keep feeding that game plan, they should turn into a franchise thats consistently competitive. They dont want to rush the likes of Cassels, Virtanen, Shinkaruk, and McCann. They want to fit them into this retool structure. There are exceptions to the rule for special talents, but those players should earn the roster spot like Horvat, not fill a vacant gap.

The other benefit to this method is once the youth push is ready, you can afford to trade off your veterans for more picks or lose via UFA without blinking an eye. Its a cycle that feeds itself and one the management is forcing itself into adopting. Its going to take time, but if we trade off all our current veterans, you just create more of a gap in the cycle thats not ready to move forward. We do have a few pieces ready for promotion, but we're still very early in the process and Benning has done a magnificent job in moving it forward with the additions of Baertschi, Pedan, and Clendenning. Vey was a miss, but theres still time for him to redeem himself. Id look for a few more of these moves in the kickstart of this retool, but its close to just good drafting and patience being the key figures of this process.

In the meantime, enjoy watching the franchise at a lower level, as thats the plan for our future, and one thats rivaling the best in hockey.

EXTREMELY disagree with your post… Dude, have you seen our prospect pool? By far the best it's been since arguably the Sedins were prospects, and honestly, it might be even better. You know how you rebuild/retool?

1. Establish a solid core of hard working veterans that can show young kids the way, while remaining competitive. You can ask Bo, he's even said how much help it's been coming to the rink and working with guys like the Sedins, Bieksa, Higgins, Hansen etc. We currently have a veteran team that can at least make the playoffs. So check.
  2. Establish a solid pool of prospects with bright futures ahead of them. Must I riddle off the names? Not including Bo, McCann, Shinkaruk, Baertschi, Cassels, Demko, Gaunce, Hutton, Clendening etc. By far the best prospect pool we've ever had. Now we just have to wait for the kids to develop into NHL calibre players. So Check.
  3. Slowly move in the new talent into the roster. You can't just come in and give the young guys all the top spots. That is how you lose. (I guess that is kind of what you want) Look at what we did this year. Added Bo Horvat, Linden Vey, Ronny Kenins, and to an extent Adam Clendening. Thats 2 rookies in the starting lineup, 1 as 13th forward, and a 6th/7th defensman. What else do you want dude? 4 rookies in the starting lineup? 5? 6? The whole point is that next season those guys will come in and be better, which pushes out the old vets. Guys like Bo, may get the 3c or 2c spot, and maybe someone like a Gaunce or Cassels steps in and goes through the process as well. It's a gradual process. Soooo, check. Life isn't a video game. You can't just fast forward through the deloping time of rookies. People on this site seem to love draft picks. Well draft picks take time. You gotta wait.

You don't take a playoff team, strip it down to 0, throw a bunch of 23 year olds on the team and hope for the best. Jim Benning is doing exactly what everyone wants him to do. Bringing in solid youth either by drafting or trade, developing them fully, and then inserting them into the lineup. Seems to me like the main problem is that he didn't do it fast enough which again, we had a number of youth players play prominent roles this year, and I'm sure next year we will have more. And then theres the whole Utica Comets tearing up the AHL thing. It's either that or the fact that we didn't "tank for McDavid." Lol, lets remember people, Jim Benning and Trevor Linden like their jobs too… That entails winning. string together 2-3 losing seasons with no playoffs and they could be looking for another job. THEY DON'T WANT THAT EITHER.

And the gall dude, "The Sedins are in a coasting until retirement mode." Wow… couldn't be the furthest thing from the truth. You have any idea the character of these two guys? They had their worst season scoring 40ish points last year, and bounce back with 70 point seasons and somehow that's "coasting until retirement mode." I don't think a single player, coach, or GM in the league would say that about these two guys, let alone their "fan." Come on bruh this is Daniel and Henrik we're talking about

If I could like this thrice, it would be so nice

Red Herring. Comments like, ownership not wanting to forgo playoff revenue etc just don't hold water for me.

First and foremost, ownership wants a cup. They are big time Canuck fans and they want to cheer for a team in contention every year and are willing to spend to the cap to do it. They have also spent on the Utica Comets and given golden handshakes to Gillis and Torts so it's not about the money with them.

Long term, ownership wants a team that contends every year but to get there. I'm sure they could swallow missing the playoffs for a couple of years if they could see the development of the team coming. Couldn't we all.

To Jim Benning's plan that he is selling us.

1. He wanted to give the present core a kick at a cup because he thought that they still had the talent and they deserved a shot. Well, they have talent but they aren't getting better, they're getting older. Last season was their best chance.
  2. Benning also wants to develop young players in a winning environment. The young players part is actually going pretty well. He's got prospects like we haven't seen in years (or ever) and he's going to build on that because it is the cornerstone of the new team that he wants to build. The winning environment part is working too. Utica is doing well. That's where a lot of development goes on and they're having a nice playoff run. The Canucks made the playoffs so that would be considered winning and being in the fight is what brings the young players along.

Question? Just what is the limit of a "winning environment"?

1. More wins than losses?
  2. Being in a legitimate fight for a playoff spot?
  3. Making the playoffs?
  4. Winning the first round of the playoffs?

Moving forward.

Given the failure of the old core to make a good run, does Benning's loyalty to that core wane? After a full season, he is very much aware of who has what he wants in terms of helping the team develop the way he wants. So, as long as the young guys are being shown how to play and prepare the right way, who cares who does it. So we may be seeing players who we thought were core being moved along.

This could mean big changes. Benning said that he was mad about the loss to Calgary. While I don't think he's going to go out and do something rash, he could be more drastic than many of us thought.

On the other hand, in the Calgary series, the Canucks had a couple of key injuries to Burrows, Richardson, Kassian and maybe as little as one or two additions would put things right with the Canucks and it's steady as we go with the plan that's in place because overall, Benning is achieving what he set out to do.

Also to note that hockey trades and free agent acquisitions play a significant role, but generally arent a key part of the retool method.

Minnisota added Parise, Suter, Vanek, Pomminville... but that teams success will be dependant on the development of Granlund, Coyle, Neideritter, Brodin, and Dumba.

Chicago added parts in Vermette, Versteeg, Richards... But its the Saads, Teravainens, and Shaws that are the retool thats filling in behind their core.

Anaheim scares me with Rackell, Etem, Silferberg, Fowler, Lindholm, Vatanen, Ritchie, Theodore, Andersson, Gibson... uggh.

Edmonton could be amazing, but their players havent had to earn roles, up untill they finally decided to leave the likes of Nurse and Draisaitl in Junior.... Best decision theyve made in YEARS.

Canucks have a long steep hill to climb, but they are fortunate to still have the Sedins whom I believe can carry the load for a few more seasons, at which point the new crop will be ready to take the torch, and we can then sprinkle in some UFAs to help them along.

We are likely at least 5 years out from being a potential contender, unless a miracle renders the combination of Baertschi, Horvat, and Kassian to become absolute top 6 studs while the Sedins are still producing, and we get a monumental surprise from the young d-core.... Otherwise, dont panic, get cozy, and enjoy the process. Its going to take some time.

70seven

Good point about young players earning roles. Vital imo. And the way Benning has seemed to load up on prospects serves to increase the competition at the Utica level before they have to push out a veteran at the Canuck level. So the earning comes at 2 levels.

As an aside, it looks like Virtanen has already earned a top 6 role in Utica since he started out on the 4th line. Unfortunately, his birthday makes him one of those guys who are too young to play in the AHL next year. It's either Van or the Junior.

People moan about our situation regardless. Bieksa, Hamhuis, Burrows, the Twins, Hansen and Higgins to a lesser extent all have NTC's or Limited NTC's.

That's not Benning's fault. Henrik and Daniel won't play separately, so other than maybe New Jersey, who has the cap space to trade them to?

What's the point in complaining? Daniel and Henrik aren't going anywhere. Considering they brought us over 140 points in offence.

Higgins might move. Doubtful Bieksa will, or even Hamhuis. If we're going to get anywhere we need to draft defensemen, NOW.

The Twins are #1 and #2 in terms of offence on this team. It's about damn time we got some other players to pick up the slack.

Your first sentence makes me take you less seriously.. Before we were just two guys debating. What's with the straw man? When did I ever say making the playoffs for 1 year means you have a winning culture? How about making playoffs the last 10 out of 11 seasons. Lol, we made playoffs 10 years in a row, fell off one year, and bounced right back. That is the definition of a winning culture. It doesn't matter what happens, next year they bounce back 100%. That's the culture you want. What more can you ask for. The Kings missed the playoffs this year, next year, they are going to bounce back hungry for a spot. That's the winning culture you want. That's Detroits culture, they have just been so successful they haven't gotten bounced yet. But they have first round exits left and right. You make it to the playoffs, and you take it from there.

How is retooling to win a waste of time. Yeah they're declining, but they're still massively productive. Ok so we don't have the back to back scoring champions that we once had. Instead we have 70 point scorers who one again, finished top 10 in the league. How is that a waste of time? And when you say time? What are you talking about? Were going into next season trying to make the playoffs just like everyone else whether we got the 70 point scorers or not… Might as well take em...

Again, dude stop strawmaning. This whole 16 to 2 thing really means nothing. Benning and Linden just got here. They're trying to develop their culture and provide youth. They added 2 prospects in a year. Next year they may add 2 more. And the year after that, who knows. Eventually you get the the Detroit model but it takes time. You don't insert 16 prospects and call it a day. No, you gradually insert them 1 or 2 at a time until they become the new core. Stop strawmaning dude. If you can't respond to what I said don't just pretend like I'm saying something else so you can refute it.

Vrbata and Miller were playoff no shows… Vrbata had 4 points in 6 games and Miller was injured. The dude just got back and was put in the toughest situation. Down in the series.

But again, I ask you. This team has been preaching getting younger. I've explained to you 3 times now exactly how they are doing that. We just added 2 rookies into the starting lineup in one year. Next year, Bo and Kenins will get a bigger role. Simultaniously, someone like Baertschi, or Virtanen may crack the roster. I'm not even counting Vey and Clendening who are 22 and on the cusp as well in that they are playing depth roles now. OVER TIME you develop your new core of young guys. We have an incredible prospect pool right now. The best we have ever seen. And you're somehow insinuating that we aren't committing to youth. What do you think Benning got these prospects for? He's just waiting for them to develop. You can't throw in prospects that aren't ready for the big dance for 2 reasons. One, you'll lose a lot. If you're fine with Tanking then that's the way for you, but last I checked, Trevor Linden, Jim Benning, and WIllie D all really seem to like it here. I don't think they have any desired to be unemployed. I think they would rather have exciting hockey in this city, make a possible run just like the other 16 teams good enough to make playoffs. And two, you're going to hurt the player. The NHL is a whole different beast from every other Hockey leave out there. If guys aren't ready, they can easily get injured.

Lastly, Detroit does not just shove prospects in. They wait and wait and wait until they are absolutely sure they can not only play on an NHL team, but make an impact. Before I spoke of Gustav Nyquist, but you can see it directly right now with Anthony Mantha. CHL player of the year, scoring 120 points in 57 games. (averaged a goal per game as well.) And what did they do. No they didn't just put him in the lineup because he wasn't ready. Spots are not given, they are EARNED. Anthony Mantha is as skilled of a prospect as they come, but he didn't earn a spot on the Roster so they sent him back down. That's exactly what we are doing. Letting our prospects develop fully before pushing them into the big dance.

And no we aren't going to win the cup with old men. But 70 point scorers, no matter what their age certainly do help the cause. I don't care if they're 50 years old. If you can finish top 10 in the league for scoring, I want you on my team. The world isn't that black and white. It's not either we build around the Sedins and we don't win or not. It's a mix. It's a team. Yeah, get some young legs in there. Again, like Bo, Kenins, Vey, and Clendening this season, but the fact that we can have young guys not the team does not mean anything for the Sedins. You're making it seem like it's either the Sedins or it's youth. You can do both. You can fit a couple young guys with a couple veterans on a roster.

Young guys currently on the roster. (25 and younger)

Zack Kassian 24

Ronalds Kenins 24

Linden Vey 23

Bo Horvat 20

Guys that will be pushing for roster spots within the next 2 years

Adam Clendening 22

Frank Corrado 22

Ben Hutton 22

Brendan Gaunce 21

Hunter Shinkaruk 20

Cole Cassels 20

Jared McCann 19

Jake Virtanen 19

That's 8 guys who can make serious roster pushed in the next 2 years or so. That's some quality youth. Trust me, they will get their chance. They just need to earn it first. That's all

I like how your list includes all sorts of players who haven't made the team yet. Out of those, how many will be traded due to the 'winning culture' demanding that vets remain? Such as the guy you've not surprisingly ommitted, Jensen. I'm not saying that he should be handed a spot automatically because he basically stinks and we should have picked up Saad, who's probably benefitting from a better winning culture in Chicago, but he's the type of player that Detroit would have embraced in their retooling process for years now.

Instead of that though, you have the GM and minor league coach basically say that Jensen stinks and won't ever be a scorer in the NHL.

Who believes that is the right approach to take with kids during a retooling process, rebuilding process, or whatever process you want to say it is, when the core is older than any other in the NHL and you NEED these kids to ultimately perform?

Are we going to start saying the same things about all those other prospects who haven't made the team yet, because we have to keep a spot for some veteran 4th line scrub and a 4th-pairing defenseman on a ripoff contract? Is that part of the winning culture too?

It's strange, because all you hear is that change is coming. Well, we've seen mishandling of prospects forever, we've seen bad trades forever, and we've seen bad contracts force other bad moves forever. It seems that if this is continuing on and on now, then change might NOT be coming.

'Re-tool' is just a word-friendly version of 're-build'...you know, what is really going on here.

The Canucks don't have much chance of doing any serious winning in the next 3 years while the Sedins are here, so as much as I hate to say it, their presence here during that time is kind of irrelevant, IMO. What does matter is the progress of all the young guys coming in filling in around them, and subsequently replacing them. It's just that this process can't happen all in one year. To me, the Sedins are in their emeritus years already.

This is a kinder way of putting down what I was throwing down regarding the Sedins. I mean them no disrespect, as they are likely hall-of-famers who have carried this team for around 20 years, but my question was more about why would you re-tool around them if they're now 35 and well into their twilight? The answer is you don't. But we did. That was weird.

Sure the Sedins' are slowing down a step but if the Canucks can come up with a younger, faster and bigger 1st line that can score, you would be hard pressed to find a better 2nd line than one anchored by Henrik and Daniel. It all depends on how quickly Horvat, Virtanen and the rest of the young guns develop. Like Benning and Linden said, they have to be ready before they can play them.

We probably won't win a SC in the near future, but the more experience that the young guys get in a competitive environment (whether it is in the playoffs in Vancouver or the playoffs in Utica), the better they will be down the road.

Wishing away the existing team and wishfully counting on change as the absolute answer is reckless.

Trade some vets for picks and prospects sure but in an orderly manner.

the "retool", is about placing your youth into good situations so that they can develop properly and take over the core in due time. See Detroit... They consistently have young players to feed into the core.... From Yzerman/Federov/Lidstrom/Osgood to Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Kronwall/Howard and on to Nyquist/Tatar/Mrazek/Mantha/Larkin/Pulkinen.... Its always re-tooling itself.

THIS is what Benning and Linden want to achieve. A franchise that turns itself over consistently. THATS the retool, and why theyve been so aggressive in finding players in that 22-26 year old range, because we have an entire generation of re-tooling players missing from our organization due to horrid drafting. They have to plug this hole in order to let the next generation simmer for a bit, not thrown into situations they arent yet ready for.

Tampa Bay may have a Stamkos and Hedman, but lets be serious, that teams motor is the Calder Cup winning Norfolk Admirals from a couple seasons ago. Go look at that roster http://theahl.com/championship-players-s1157 ... and be amazed of what good drafting and proper development can do. THAT is the "retool". Its an ongoing process that produces longevity.

This is what they have already begun building in Utica and its going to take time for it to mature, but so long that they keep feeding that game plan, they should turn into a franchise thats consistently competitive. They dont want to rush the likes of Cassels, Virtanen, Shinkaruk, and McCann. They want to fit them into this retool structure. There are exceptions to the rule for special talents, but those players should earn the roster spot like Horvat, not fill a vacant gap.

The other benefit to this method is once the youth push is ready, you can afford to trade off your veterans for more picks or lose via UFA without blinking an eye. Its a cycle that feeds itself and one the management is forcing itself into adopting. Its going to take time, but if we trade off all our current veterans, you just create more of a gap in the cycle thats not ready to move forward. We do have a few pieces ready for promotion, but we're still very early in the process and Benning has done a magnificent job in moving it forward with the additions of Baertschi, Pedan, and Clendenning. Vey was a miss, but theres still time for him to redeem himself. Id look for a few more of these moves in the kickstart of this retool, but its close to just good drafting and patience being the key figures of this process.

In the meantime, enjoy watching the franchise at a lower level, as thats the plan for our future, and one thats rivaling the best in hockey.

Good post.

Archived