The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Season Ticket Holder Town Hall

firestorm238

No confusion. He's just incapable.

He seriously believes being a 10-6 seed for the next three years is a viable option for this franchise.

I'm willing to give the drafting a couple of years. But he has to realize that his scouting is the thing he's tooted his own horn about to the media since he's got here. So if within three years we're sitting here with nothing to show - it'll be such a disappointment. And this goes with more than just his drafts. Pedan, Vey, Clendening, and Baertschi all have to show up. That's two 2nds, a 3rd, and a 4th.

A few key injuries didn't help matters against Calgary (Kassian, Burrows, Richardson, Miller....). The good thing to come from that loss was the deficiencies that it exposed and I don't think they were due to injured players. The injuries allowed the deficiencies to be exposed more readily.

This last kick at the cup thing for the old core I think was just spin. They're in full on rebuild. This is clear. Benning is going slowly so that the new team is built properly and has sustainable depth. You can't introduce young prospects before they are ready and they have earned a shot.

Are you one of these guys who wants it all and wants it now? Well to do it the right way, it's going to take 5 years. If you can't see it, it doesn't make Benning incapable.....

Question:

Was making PO's a statement of how well they played, or rather a sign of many western over-achievers sliding backwards(from 2013-14)?

An almost 50/50 combination of the two,I would say...On that last road trip back east where they defeated the Rangers,Bruins,Islanders with a depleted lineup,I thought the Canucks really showed their mettle..(Zack Kassian was clutch in all those games)....This was the team I was anticipating in the playoffs.

LA looked like a team that had completely lost its enthusiasm last season ..they will be back next year,and i fully expect them to make the playoffs...SJ will be competing against the Canucks for the final playoff spots.

I think Cassels will surprise you and makes the big club or gets the call and sticks. This man has talent and grit and will be a core player for us in the near future.

I hope he does crack the lineup, I'm just not sure if his skating is up to snuff to crack the roster anytime soon.

Watching JB talk about what he took out of watching these playoffs, the three words he used over and over again were speed, skill and grit.

Cole has two of those right now.

LA looked like a team that had completely lost its enthusiasm last season ..they will be back next year,and i fully expect them to make the playoffs...SJ will be competing against the Canucks for the final playoff spots.

LA is the team that blockaded the dressing room door so Sutter couldn't get in LOL

LA is the team that blockaded the dressing room door so Sutter couldn't get in LOL

They were just cleaning up the blow :P

As for Cassels, love the kid but Gaunce and Grenier are going to secure spots first. But he'll certainly make it and that's crazy for 3rd rounder in itself.

Finally, for the lamenting of Sbisa, expect him to play with Hammer next year and blow the doors off. Bieksa is just not the guy to partner him with.

He seriously believes being a 10-6 seed for the next three years is a viable option for this franchise.

I'm willing to give the drafting a couple of years. But he has to realize that his scouting is the thing he's tooted his own horn about to the media since he's got here. So if within three years we're sitting here with nothing to show - it'll be such a disappointment. And this goes with more than just his drafts. Pedan, Vey, Clendening, and Baertschi all have to show up. That's two 2nds, a 3rd, and a 4th.

Bit extreme/jumping the gun there. If you don't see that, then you are definitely confused LOL.

I don't understand your angle here. Benning flipped 2 seconds a third and a fourth rounder for 3 players who are younger than 25 and already have cracked NHL lineups and a big defensman who skates well. Do you know how many players we drafted between 2006-2012 (7 drafts total) in the 2-4 rounds who actually played in the NHL ? A grand total of one- Connauton, who never played for us. I'm not saying that anybody should run out and get a Jersey with any of those 4's name on the back, but that hardly seems like bad business to me.

What kind of drafting GM trades as many picks away as Jim Benning?

A Canucks drafting GM, that's who.

Considering the picks were mostly traded for guys under 25 years old, it's pretty easy to look at the context of a GM who saw a team that was dangerously lacking in 20-24 year olds on inexpensive contracts who could play in the NHL, so he made moves to fill those gaps. Context context context.

What kind of drafting GM trades as many picks away as Jim Benning?

A Canucks drafting GM, that's who.

*Scouting GM. That includes more than just draft eligible players FYI ;)

Linden Vey might not even be retained. Probably will, but you never know. Benning blamed WD for that one.

Vey is a great 13th forward with upside. Not sure why people have an issue with him.

So talk dismissively of a 2nd rounder, yet hope you get one for Lack?!

CDC is becoming code for lawyer's legalese. The rare ability to emit conflicting/dual philosophies, simultaneously from one's maw..Lovely.

They're not necessarily the same people. CDC is not a hive-mind ;)

A 2nd pick that's only a roughly 30% shot of becoming an NHL'er is fair price for a young, 13th forward with upside who projects to be a decent 30-40 point, middle 6 "tweener" in his prime. It was an absolute bargain for Baer!

It's a piss-poor return for Lack though IMO.

Archived