The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Blues open to moving Backes, Oshie, Berglund

According to Pierre LeBrun:

The St. Louis Blues are one of the more intriguing teams to keep an eye on over the next few weeks.

Utterly disappointed with another playoff failure, change is in the offing within their core roster if there’s a deal that makes sense. Word is the Blues would like to move apples for apples in any deal, which is a very difficult thing to do in the cap system, particularly in a summer when so many teams are looking to shed salary, not add any.

But if there’s a deal out there that makes sense, word from rival executives is that the Blues are more open-minded than ever to move one of their long-standing core guys, whether that’s David Backes, T.J. Oshie, Patrik Berglund or other veterans.

It’s a delicate proposition in the sense that the Blues, by bringing back head coach Ken Hitchcock for one more season, are signaling that they’re taking another run at it and why oddsmakers have listed them as a top-five contender for next season. But in in a perfect world, the Blues would like to return with a new face or two among their core.

Backes enters the final season of his deal, which is why you hear his name out there. It’s the perfect time to move him for value. But they could easily keep him too, given how difficult he would be to replace. Again, depends on what the Blues are being offered.

What the Blues won’t do, in my opinion, is force a trade just for the sake of appeasing their fans who want change because of the disappointing playoffs. GM Doug Armstrong is a shrewd hockey man. I think he’s seen teams in this position -- so desperate to get over the hump -- make their worst trades.

So yes, the Blues are open for business, but it has to be logical, it has to make them better. Otherwise, they might just stand pat.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/38529/rumblings-blues-open-to-moving-backes-oshie-berglund

Horvat and Lack for Backes? Cause that's the minimum it would cost. Nucks don't have the depth of assets to give up. I could see Calgary or Edmonton being trading partners with the Blues.

Sweet eff no. Backes is in his final year if thats what the blues are asking good luck moving him.

Horvat and Lack for Backes? Cause that's the minimum it would cost. Nucks don't have the depth of assets to give up. I could see Calgary or Edmonton being trading partners with the Blues.

Gross. I wouldn't trade Horvat for Backes straight up. Not at all what this franchise needs right now.

You're right that the Canucks don't have the depth to make a reasonable offer.

They could package them for a DeLorean to revisit 2010. Need a do-over. They had a nice collection of assets, yet couldn't assemble the jigsaw in orderly fashion. Good luck now that the maestro(Hitch) is pouting on borrowed time.

To complete a hockey jigsaw-puzzle, best to start from corner pieces: GTing, couple top C's & good young D, character & special teams. They never found the 'tending piece, for one. Also, Backes, Oshie & Berglund fell short of their potential.

That's nuts. What purpose would that serve?

Canucks are a rebuilding team, they are trying to get younger, not older. JB won't be trading for any of the Blues' veterans.

Yeah...give up an up and coming excellent two way center in Horvat for a whiny, cheap shot asshole like Backes. Great idea

Doesn't make much sense to me. They have a great team right now and all three of those guys are in their prime. They should be trying to win a cup right now, not trading off valuable players.

Sweet eff no. Backes is in his final year if thats what the blues are asking good luck moving him.

Gross. I wouldn't trade Horvat for Backes straight up. Not at all what this franchise needs right now.

You're right that the Canucks don't have the depth to make a reasonable offer

Benning wouldn't even trade Horvat for 3rd overall no way he trades him for Backes

Archived