The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

2 hours ago, Qwags said:

Now that the Canadian gong show is over, let's all turn our attention to Boeser. Right?

Yeah, how much of a bust will this prospect be?  Don't know, but Virtanen has the inside track on most-bustable right now.  Boeser has some work to do to get to that level, but he already has a lot of deficiencies we can work with to get him higher up that bust-ladder.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, nergish said:

Yeah, go USA...

Did anybody else feel like the Canucks could do alright with a top 5 pick this year after watching those two Finns today? 

I have been surprised by the Fins size speed skill and physicality this year.. they've studied and been influenced by years gone by.   Have to admit that I am enjoying the "parity" in the play by all the teams...   World Hockey at its best !

• Upvote 1

I'll say this I haven't seen a lot of Boeser in the WJC mostly "hightlights" and he doesn't feature in  any of those. Which can be a positive. I think he may be better grounded and more willing to take help when it's offered and improve his game. The WJC is a 19 year old tourney so next year should be his coming out party

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I have been surprised by the Fins size speed skill and physicality this year.. they've studied and been influenced by years gone by.   Have to admit that I am enjoying the "parity" in the play by all the teams...   World Hockey at its best !

I agree, but man, those two draft-eligible Finns were especially dominant. They looked like the Finnish Ovechkin and Malkin of 10ish years ago. 

Classic Finn skill, but with size + speed. Just saying, if Matthews and Chychrun are off the board, those two may also be franchisers.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nergish said:

I agree, but man, those two draft-eligible Finns were especially dominant. They looked like the Finnish Ovechkin and Malkin of 10ish years ago. 

Classic Finn skill, but with size + speed. Just saying, if Matthews and Chychrun are off the board, those two may also be franchisers.

They'll likely be off the board before Chychrun 

Boeser plays the game more like a pro then a lot of the other junior prospects. He lets the game come to him instead of taking himself out of position by chasing pucks. He needs a bit better anticipation, but overall I think he will be a useful winger in the NHL. 

He doesn't chase the puck down if the play isn't their, but he will probably need to skate harder on the forecheck. I really think he will excel under Travis Greene though. Hope he is able to get some coaching from him.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

The Boeser love In sure has quietened down since the WJC began.   

To me he plays like the typical entitled American would play.   Lacks determination, doesn't move his feet. No grit.   Get used to it because Benning an Weisbrod are in love with the USHL.   

Before , the talk in here was how many, now its a work in progress.   

He was picked because Benning and company can buy time by picking college route players which buys them 4 years without having to show results, but get their paycheck every 2 weeks till that time.   Wonder who weisbrod is suggesting this year.

Weisbrod , being American will be searching for players in his old back yard, not ours. get it.   Konecny should have been chosen and all the boeser lovers will be eating crow in short time.  

I'm sure at least once a year they will be reminded when the flyers come to town around new years , starting next year to show off their 2015 1st round pick at number 24 , which the Flyers actually immediately made some trades to move up and get Konecny once they seen Canucks pass on him.     Horvats cousin would sure look good playing on his line, since of course he plays all forward positions.    Shame on Benning and company

Your conspiracy theory about Benning picking from the USHL to save face is hilarious. Really, you should go into standup comedy. I take it you think 9/11 was an inside job as well? Benning pick 2 players from the USHL in 2015 and none in 2014 but he's in love with the USHL

Boeser is putting up outstanding numbers as a freshman in college, comparable to Oshie. The WJC is a small sample size. If we base players careers of that than Hodgson and Schroeder would be top 5 scorers in the league. 

Aside from all this, picking players out of college allows you to control their development better. Once they sign they can go straight to Utica, no stupid CHL agreement rule.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Derp... said:

Boeser plays the game more like a pro then a lot of the other junior prospects. He lets the game come to him instead of taking himself out of position by chasing pucks. He needs a bit better anticipation, but overall I think he will be a useful winger in the NHL. 

He doesn't chase the puck down if the play isn't their, but he will probably need to skate harder on the forecheck. I really think he will excel under Travis Greene though. Hope he is able to get some coaching from him.

This is what I see too. He has a legitimate reason for the poor translation of his game to big ice with his style of play. I'm not worried about him at all. The only that's kind of bugging me is his when he gets the opportunity to shoot it flies over the net A LOT. I guess we could chalk that up to nerves but still.

20 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

This is what I see too. He has a legitimate reason for the poor translation of his game to big ice with his style of play. I'm not worried about him at all. The only that's kind of bugging me is his when he gets the opportunity to shoot it flies over the net A LOT. I guess we could chalk that up to nerves but still.

This is his first time on a BIG stage..nerves, development still to come etc. Reality is much like most players his age (Virtanen included), it takes that thing called TIME. The post that was bashing him is likely from someone who much like the Virt bashers thinks if the kid doesn't play like Hull or Bure he's a bust lol.

What I've noticed is his skating does need some work, which can always been improved easily with good coaches (see Bo and Guance) and part of that may be the big man not moving his feet syndrome that both those players had and fixed, and just adjusting to a faster pace.

Also, he is currently playing vs good but not the best players his age in US college. Arguably the very best players his age are in the OHL (more of them), and sprinkles of excellent players are in US College. Given how many NHL players come from the OHL its quite clear that its the best junior league out there, so even that difference affects him (ie having to adjust to a whole new level of play, that is MUCH higher than his current level. OHL players seem to adjust better because there are simply better players on average in that league - the pace and play is faster/tougher).

This was a great learning experience for him, to see many of the players he'll face in the future, how much he still has to work on etc. He is playing against the best of the best, it does take some time to adjust, he isn't Auston Matthews!

Edited by McCannon

19 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Bigger ice.  He's a bit further than he's used to, so his shot is rising over the bar.  He needs to step in closer, so the distance is the same as on the smaller ice.  You're correct on this guy.  He's a true sniper, as indicated by how quickly his shot rises.  That's a talent.

5 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

The Boeser love In sure has quietened down since the WJC began.   

To me he plays like the typical entitled American would play.   Lacks determination, doesn't move his feet. No grit.   Get used to it because Benning an Weisbrod are in love with the USHL.   

Before , the talk in here was how many, now its a work in progress.   

He was picked because Benning and company can buy time by picking college route players which buys them 4 years without having to show results, but get their paycheck every 2 weeks till that time.   Wonder who weisbrod is suggesting this year.

Weisbrod , being American will be searching for players in his old back yard, not ours. get it.   Konecny should have been chosen and all the boeser lovers will be eating crow in short time.  

I'm sure at least once a year they will be reminded when the flyers come to town around new years , starting next year to show off their 2015 1st round pick at number 24 , which the Flyers actually immediately made some trades to move up and get Konecny once they seen Canucks pass on him.     Horvats cousin would sure look good playing on his line, since of course he plays all forward positions.    Shame on Benning and company

How on earth can you possibly make this assumption 6 months after a player was drafted? 

The WJC, especially played in Europe is nothing more than Fog in evaluating a players talent. 

The WJC in general is a very subjective view into the future. 

Jordan Schroeder and Coho agree with me. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, chilliwiggins said:

lol increased curve on the stick does that. all kinds of ways to make a shot rise.   remember Peter Scheafer.  I have one of his sticks.  he basically put his blade in the crack of a door then pulled down making a twist , not a curve, and that's how he could roof it from 2 feet away.    shot rise doesn't determine a sniper, pucks in the net does.

Soo....even though he's on fire in the US college at a level that is "a-typical' of rookies, because he's having a slow first ever tournament against the best of the best, 5 months after he's been drafted means he has no hands and elite skill?

This thread is going to turn into a clone of the Virtanen debate - such silly commentary judging players on such a small sample size and so early in their careers.

There's a website called dictionary.com - look up the words 'development' 'patience' 'experience' and 'youth'

These are important words to add to your understanding of 19 yr old hockey players.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

a real indicator for all those preaching how good this guy is should watch closely when Nick Schmautz isn't playing and you will see what you really got.

from his highlight pack (all his goals)

goal 1 - pure snipe

goal 2- effort and a snipe. 

goal 3 - go to the net goal

goal 4 - from Schmaltz but also an EN

goal 5 - breakaway

goal 6 - breakaway

goal 7 - deflection, no Schmaltz

goal 8 - snipe, sure schmaltz touched it but Boeser went and got the puck then shot. 

goal 9 - deflection

goal 10 - snipe. No Schmaltz

goal 11 - Schmaltz lead to the turnover but Boeser took it and finished it

goal 12 - nice feed but he got the puck at center then went and scored. 

goal 13 - broken play, toe drag to snipe

goal 14 - yeah ok, lots of Schmaltz but good finish

goal 15 - capitalized on a tounover. 

• Upvote 2