The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

Brock's going to be big man on campus next year and have a huge leadership role on that NDU team. I don't see how that's anything but positive. I would have liked to see him become a Comet next year and learn the pro game a year sooner, but this is the next best thing and it won't hurt his development at all.

On another note, it's funny when people talk about getting an education and that all important degree to fall back on. There isn't a degree in the world that will afford a person the opportunity to come out their first year in the workforce and make a million dollars. It's at least 10 times the base salary for someone coming out college. It's a silly argument that just sounds like empty rhetoric and grasping at straws.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Lui's Knob said:

and we're off to a great offseason :( Boeser has nothing to prove in UND. CDC will explode if both Demko and Boeser don't sign with Vancouver.

What are you talking about he has nothing to prove? He played on the top line with a senior and a sophomore this year.

Now he can prove that he can lead a great line on his own rather than be part of one. With Tyson Jost joining UND it will be great to see if Boeser can repeat his success and maybe even build off it,

Edited by DeNiro

2 hours ago, PLOGUE said:

That is what I would prefer to see.  These kids should be able to sign a contract & remain in college, it benefits the teams and the players.  If not that then the QO mentioned above is what I was thinking.  Basically want them to make it difficult for college kids to leave the drafting team hanging. 

If they up the draft age to 20 that would a lot. 4 years in school after that date you'd be 24 and done 6 years of studies. Most would forgo ride late couple years

Why are people shocked that he's going back? Wasn't that the plan all along? 

I see no harm in it at all. He's returning to a top program with a great track record of developing players (and one that's already done wonders for him) where he'll get to play alongside an excellent prospect in Jost. I don't see the issue here.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I see no harm in it at all. He's returning to a top program with a great track record of developing players (and one that's already done wonders for him) where he'll get to play alongside an excellent prospect in Jost. I don't see the issue here.

It's the people that were penciling him on the top line with the Sedins. Impatient fans is all it is.

Even Parise went back for a second season with UND. We don't need to rush him at all. Better that he comes into a situation where he's a support player rather than relied upon to put up big points.

• Upvote 1

So much unnecessary doom and gloom being spewed around Boeser and Demko these days.

I wonder what the reactions would be if Vesey decided not to ditch Nashville? Some of you guys need to look at the big picture and remember that the occurrences of college seniors choosing to go into free agency is, at the end of the day, quite rare. 

Kevin Hayes, Blake Wheeler, Justin Schultz, Jimmy Vesey...correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe those are the only 4 out of multiple drafted college seniors who decided to sign with a different team in recent history. 

Back to Boeser...I took a look back at the NBC feed of the 2015 Draft, and according to McGuire, Boeser had the chance to play the U-18 Worlds, but decided not to because he wanted to stay with his team. Sounds like the guy is pretty loyal, so don't be surprised if he decides to stay with UND. That being said, who's to say that he won't show the same loyalty when it comes to coming into the NHL (i.e. when the time comes to sign with Vancouver)?

TL;DR: Chill out people.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It's the people that were penciling him on the top line with the Sedins. Impatient fans is all it is.

I prefer dream-y to impatient!

This season was a dare to dream season, I knew all the kids weren't going to solidify into the 80's Oilers, but I had a tonne of fun watching them.

Onwards and upwards...

35 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

On another note, it's funny when people talk about getting an education and that all important degree to fall back on. There isn't a degree in the world that will afford a person the opportunity to come out their first year in the workforce and make a million dollars. It's at least 10 times the base salary for someone coming out college. It's a silly argument that just sounds like empty rhetoric and grasping at straws.

The first real post about the "college degree" fallacy that we have in hockey. What people need to understand is that most top end prospects dream about playing in the NHL not college. College is merely a stepping stone and a development path, especially for those highly touted. The only exceptions are the players who's intentions are to go to a top school (Ivey's) and have the "honour" of graduating from a prestigious university; however, those are usually the middle to lower end prospects.

I'm going to generalize but it comes down to economics with opportunity costs and time value of money. Choosing school over turning pro not only has monetary implications but developmental constraints. College is a great place to develop, but staying past your developmental curve is going to do nothing but stagnate your abilities. For example, I completely agree with people who say Demko is too good for college. By not pushing yourself to pro hockey and staying in college, you forfeit to opportunity to be that much better a year later when you might push to play in the NHL. If Demko's true intentions are to be an NHL goalie, any team would prefer a goalie play in the minors before even backing up at the NHL level. A team isn't going to plug a freshly finished college player on an NHL ice.In Brock's case, if he were thinking about Free Agency in 2019, that's 3 years away. The cost of potentially stagnating your career for an additional 3 years has major opportunity costs. The example of Vesey is mute because he didn't break out in till his Junior season.  By staying an extra year, Demko is pushing back his timeline to reach the NHL

Getting a college degree is really just a proof of concept nowadays. And to hide behind that excuse as a top end talent should reveal their true intentions. 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

So much unnecessary doom and gloom being spewed around Boeser and Demko these days.

I wonder what the reactions would be if Vesey decided not to ditch Nashville? Some of you guys need to look at the big picture and remember that the occurrences of college seniors choosing to go into free agency is, at the end of the day, quite rare. 

Kevin Hayes, Blake Wheeler, Justin Schultz, Jimmy Vesey...correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe those are the only 4 out of multiple drafted college seniors who decided to sign with a different team in recent history. 

Back to Boeser...I took a look back at the NBC feed of the 2015 Draft, and according to McGuire, Boeser had the chance to play the U-18 Worlds, but decided not to because he wanted to stay with his team. Sounds like the guy is pretty loyal, so don't be surprised if he decides to stay with UND. That being said, who's to say that he won't show the same loyalty when it comes to coming into the NHL (i.e. when the time comes to sign with Vancouver)?

TL;DR: Chill out people.

Mike Reilly too - he even said that it was his NHL teammates at the Worlds that convinced him to test free agency.  His father is a minority share holder of the Wild but he did visit several other teams before making his decision.

From last July: "I have a great relationship (with the Predators), and I think I'm a very loyal person," Vesey said. "At the end of the season, if the opportunity is right, I'd like to sign with Nashville."  He also attended every development camp since he was drafted on his own dime and even stayed last summer to help out at a youth hockey camp and train with their strength and conditioning coach.  Nashville was in weekly contact if not more, doing video review of his games, etc.

So I think the concerns for any NCAA draftees are legit but at this stage Boeser is simply doing what he said he would do a year ago - spend at least two years in College.

Edited by mll

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Lol think you mean Lindros not Linden, and yeah its probably happened before.

Auto correct. I have written linden a few times lol.  I meant surely they ask these guys if they are happy to be drafted right? 

2 hours ago, WTG said:

I mean he could have made the NHL probably. But that doesn't mean a extra year would hurt him.

Like what Ray Ferraro said "When has an extra year in the minors ever hurt a prospect", I'm hoping he comes to UND and has a season like Gaudreau did in his draft +3

Never said another year would hurt him ;)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Even Parise went back for a second season with UND. We don't need to rush him at all. Better that he comes into a situation where he's a support player rather than relied upon to put up big points.

As did Toews. 

14 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

The BJ line?  :o