The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

6 minutes ago, Alexandre said:

^ Some people here, were worried that Demko wouldn't sign. Fewer were worried Boeser wouldn't sign. I was sure both would sign. I am sure Gaudette will sign with us. You can tell by the type of person they are.

The attraction to a team with rising young stars can't be discounted. These youngsters played with BB in the off season tournament and now they see him sitting at the top of the rookie scoring. 

It is pretty obvious based on this season alone this is a young team winding up to take off. We have a good coach who tries to play fast skilful hockey and there are going to be openings up for grabs when the likes of the Twins, Gagner, Vanek, and maybe even Sutter move on.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

The attraction to a team with rising young stars can't be discounted. These youngsters played with BB in the off season tournament and now they see him sitting at the top of the rookie scoring. 

It is pretty obvious based on this season alone this is a young team winding up to take off. We have a good coach who tries to play fast skilful hockey and there are going to be openings up for grabs when the likes of the Twins, Gagner, Vanek, and maybe even Sutter move on.

Yes. Prospects are very aware and well informed these days (information age and all). They take everything into consideration, it is their future after all. In addition, Gaudette is a very loyal and quality person (like Demko and Boeser). He will sign here.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Ya you're probably right. I guess my only point is that guys coming out of the NCAA continually surprise with how they can immediately make an impact in the NHL. From guys on our team, Stecher, Boeser, or Hutton to guys around the league like, Schmaltz, Kerfoot, or Butcher.  Gaudette is performing just as good as a lot of these guys that have made an immediate impact so it will be interesting to see how he does when he signs an NHL contract

I feel due to contracts/roster spots available on the big club and the potential to not make moves involving multiple pieces; even considering Burmistrov's departure, that there's not enough spots/space for the plethora of kids apparently destined to make it out of training camp.

Some are already writing in Gaudette, Petterson AND Dahlen/Lind/Gadjovich/Juolevi

In this teams history If I recall we've had only 1 season where 3 rookies made it via training camp.

My point alone is that Green makes players earn their ice time.  Even Boeser sat out the first 3 games and was handed minimal ice time to start the year and look at what he's doing.  Gaudette is not Boeser.  Factor that in with the lack of available roster spots due to guys under contract next year and it's easier to see these kids from Europe/NCAA starting in Utica is all I am saying.

Without question we could see them on the club, but it is more likely we don't

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Some are already writing in Gaudette, Petterson AND Dahlen/Lind/Gadjovich/Juolevi

Agreed, and going beyond just the contract situation of the franchise, people can have high expectations and be optimistic, but the statistical odds are that at least a couple of these guys won't actually ever end up being regular NHL'ers let alone impact players.  It would be fantastic if they all panned out, trust me I wish they would, but looking at the odds of draft choices making the NHL people need to be realistic.

https://www.thoughtco.com/nhl-draft-picks-2779293

https://www.milehighhockey.com/2014/7/23/5931789/draft-percentages

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I feel due to contracts/roster spots available on the big club and the potential to not make moves involving multiple pieces; even considering Burmistrov's departure, that there's not enough spots/space for the plethora of kids apparently destined to make it out of training camp.

In this teams history If I recall we've had only 1 season where 3 rookies made it via training camp.

My point alone is that Green makes players earn their ice time.  Even Boeser sat out the first 3 games and was handed minimal ice time to start the year and look at what he's doing.  Gaudette is not Boeser.  Factor that in with the lack of available roster spots due to guys under contract next year and it's easier to see these kids from Europe/NCAA starting in Utica is all I am saying.

Without question we could see them on the club, but it is more likely we don't

Well that happens every year, even when our top prospects were Hodgson, Schroeder, Jensen, Shirokov and Sauve people would be writing 3 or 4 of them into the lineup. People always get a little over excited with prospects regardless of the team or quality of them.

I do see a spot for Gaudette though, Burmistrov and Gagner were signed this year for center depth and both of them kinda suck at center. Really only Sedin, Horvat and Sutter are guaranteed bets to take a spot. After that it really becomes a crap shoot with no real quality 4th line center. Guance is an option but he hasn't really shone there and I think coaches prefer him on the wing. If Pettersson makes the team I highly doubt he'll play center, and that's a big if, he still needs to gain a lot of strength. Hell we don't even know if the Sedin's are coming back next year. Then we'll be even more shallow at center.

Obviously like every year realistically only 1 or 2 prospects make the team, IMO Gaudette is the most likely forward to make it with our lack of depth at center and his skill set. Hard to judge until you see him against NHL players though, he could very well not even be close to ready. But ya I do agree that obviously only a couple of our prospects will make the team if any. 

• Upvote 3

maybe next yr we have multiple rookies that steals spots if we win dahlen sweepstakes hes  gonna be a franchise dman  probably walks on team at 18 yrs of age. A good summer  of working out  petersson, lind, gaz, juolevi, gaudette, dahlin and demko coukd all push for spots which is very exciting. Plus virt goldobin bo and boeser are a yr older.  perfect time for vets to step aside let future stars take over.  With burmistrov retiring and dorsett on ltir pretty much retired  plus all the trades that happen at deadline we can probably sign gaudette  and give him few games at end of yr to see what the kids got, lots  of contract space. Listening to linden other day seems like we are infull youth mode after deadline. 

Edited by canuktravella

I said in another post we could have 3-4 rookies in the lineup. This is not because we're rushing them (ala Edmonton) it's because depending on training camp we could have an injection of youth. Juolevi has played in Finland this year. Dahlen has played in Swedish-1 for 3 years. Adam is in year 3 in Northeastern. Depending on guys like Lind or Gadjovich, or our other prospects. They just might be playing well enough to earn a spot. 

We might have one, or many. It just makes Benning a little more busy to free up roster spots. It's a nice problem to have. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I said in another post we could have 3-4 rookies in the lineup. This is not because we're rushing them (ala Edmonton) it's because depending on training camp we could have an injection of youth. Juolevi has played in Finland this year. Dahlen has played in Swedish-1 for 3 years. Adam is in year 3 in Northeastern. Depending on guys like Lind or Gadjovich, or our other prospects. They just might be playing well enough to earn a spot. 

We might have one, or many. It just makes Benning a little more busy to free up roster spots. It's a nice problem to have. 

I think absolutely max we have 3, but most likely 2 or even just 1. Juolevi looks ready and played with men this year, I think he's about the only close to guarantee. Gaudette is the next most likely as we are pretty shallow at center and he plays a 200ft game, hard to judge until we see him play against pro's though, he may not be close to ready yet for all we know. Dahlen could surprise but most likely he starts in Utica and is a first call up, we don't have much room on the wings. Pettersson has the skill but I don't see him putting on the strength to be impactful next year in the NHL, he's getting pushed around against his peers, he'll be demolished on the small ice against NHL players last thing we need is to delay his development with a season full of injuries. Same thing happened to RNH when Oilers thought it would be smart to play him in the NHL as an 18 year old 160lb kid. Surprise surprise he was constantly injured during his first few seasons and his development completely ruined.

There really is no chance Lind or Gadjovich are ready next year and make the team. I think JB made it pretty clear this year when he went and signed the Vets that he is not willing to throw rookies into spots that they aren't ready for. He'll go out on sign vets before leaving rosters spots open for rookies to inherit not because they're ready but because there isn't a better option. Seems like he learned his lesson from Virtanen and McCann making the team that year, it's much better for these young guys to earn their spots and ease there way in rather than being gifted them

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

I think absolutely max we have 3, but most likely 2 or even just 1. Juolevi looks ready and played with men this year, I think he's about the only close to guarantee. Gaudette is the next most likely as we are pretty shallow at center and he plays a 200ft game, hard to judge until we see him play against pro's though, he may not be close to ready yet for all we know. Dahlen could surprise but most likely he starts in Utica and is a first call up, we don't have much room on the wings. Pettersson has the skill but I don't see him putting on the strength to be impactful next year in the NHL, he's getting pushed around against his peers, he'll be demolished on the small ice against NHL players last thing we need is to delay his development with a season full of injuries. Same thing happened to RNH when Oilers thought it would be smart to play him in the NHL as an 18 year old 160lb kid. Surprise surprise he was constantly injured during his first few seasons and his development completely ruined.

There really is no chance Lind or Gadjovich are ready next year and make the team. I think JB made it pretty clear this year when he went and signed the Vets that he is not willing to throw rookies into spots that they aren't ready for. He'll go out on sign vets before leaving rosters spots open for rookies to inherit not because they're ready but because there isn't a better option. Seems like he learned his lesson from Virtanen and McCann making the team that year, it's much better for these young guys to earn their spots and ease there way in rather than being gifted them

Certainly I better assessment of where the prospects are in their development. Hoping the team does not rush young prospects into the league. IMHO Pettersson is way to light to play NHL or maybe even AHL. He might be better served to play another season in Sweden. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

In fairness, EDM thrust RNH in to a key top 6 role immediately, playing against the top players/defenders in the league. If Petterson were to make the Canucks next year (which is 50/50 IMO), he would most likely be starting on the W for starters and most likely on a sheltered 3rd or 4th 'offensive' line with PP time. 

Something like: Eriksson, Gagner/Granlund, Petterson

That's a sizable difference in usage, competition and risk.

I think Gaudette has the best chance, then Pettersson and I wager OJ starts in Utica with injury call ups and gets recalled when we move guys at the TDL.

Dahlen, Gadjovich, Lind etc all start in Utica.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

In fairness, EDM thrust RNH in to a key top 6 role immediately, playing against the top players/defenders in the league. If Petterson were to make the Canucks next year (which is 50/50 IMO), he would most likely be starting on the W for starters and most likely on a sheltered 3rd or 4th 'offensive' line with PP time. 

Something like: Eriksson, Gagner, Petterson

That's a sizable difference in usage, competition and risk.

True, hopefully our management is at least smarter than Edmonton and Pettersson would be used sparingly on the wing in a secondary role. I would say it's a small chance Pettersson makes the team but Gradin's comments about how he wanted Pettersson and Dahlen playing for the Canucks and learning from the Sedins keep ringing in my brain when I think about whether they should be on the team or not. If a guy like him thinks so then who am I to say otherwise. A lot will depend on how much Pettersson is able to physically develop over the year as well. I just look at Pettersson and he has already had a few nagging injuries this year and really would want to err on the side of caution.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I agree we could but it would not hurt for most or maybe all of our top prospects to start next season in Utica. We will not be a winning team next year so why not let them dominate the AHL and gain chemistry. Originally I did not want the Sedins resigned for another season but they could fill a hole next year and be replaced the following year. Assuming the Sedins are resigned then the only other forward UFA is Vanek and his spot and time will be taken up by Granlund, Goldy and Virtanen. Or a guy like Kane will be signed. Either way let the guys develop and put them into a competitive winning environment.

1 minute ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

True, hopefully our management is at least smarter than Edmonton and Pettersson would be used sparingly on the wing in a secondary role. I would say it's a small chance Pettersson makes the team but Gradin's comments about how he wanted Pettersson and Dahlen playing for the Canucks and learning from the Sedins keep ringing in my brain when I think about whether they should be on the team or not. If a guy like him thinks so then who am I to say otherwise. A lot will depend on how much Pettersson is able to physically develop over the year as well. I just look at Pettersson and he has already had a few nagging injuries this year and really would want to err on the side of caution.

Gradin’s Comments sound like the Twins are back for at least one more season, and Pettersson and Dhalen will be on our third line, playing sheltered 5 on 5 minutes, and second unit PP.  Who would be a good centre for them?  

On 1/5/2018 at 8:46 AM, Alflives said:

Gradin’s Comments sound like the Twins are back for at least one more season, and Pettersson and Dhalen will be on our third line, playing sheltered 5 on 5 minutes, and second unit PP.  Who would be a good centre for them?  

Sutter

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Looks like there’ll be a free stream for today’s game. Of course it’s on during the Canucks game. But here’s the link to the GoNU portal anyway:

https://portal.stretchinternet.com/northeastern/#live

I’ll post the direct link for the game later once it’s available.

EDIT: this link should work: stream

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 2