The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The best trade Benning never made

Me_

Lucic has been critical about the city of Vancouver and doesn't like the Canucks organization. A lot of our vets probably feel the same way about him. Stranger things have happened, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Have you been following Lucic events or are you stuck on one event where he said some things after the dude was challenged by the same idiots who tried to burn down your city?

Benning has come as close as possible without tampering, in saying he's pursuing Lucic.

Lucic has stated that he would consider Vancouver.

Hold a grudge much...

... With Hamhuis and Vrbata already known to be on their way out, there will definutely be money on the tabe to secure Lucic's services.

I agree with the main point of the post that it is better that Benning didn't give up the assets that would have been required to get Lucic. I think though that "Hamhuis and Vrbata already known to be on their way out" overstates things.

As reported by the Province:

Canucks GM Jim Benning ... won’t be looking to re-sign pending unrestricted free agents Dan Hamhuis and Radim Vrbata this summer.

“We’re going to go into the season and see how it goes,”said Benning of the two pending UFAs, following a three-on-three tournament at the Canucks’ prospects development camp at Shawnigan Lake School on Tuesday afternoon.

“We’ve touched base with their agents a little, but we’ll see how it plays out.”

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/07/07/benning-making-progress-on-his-3-rfas-but-wont-re-sign-hamhuis-vrbata-this-summer/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Imo not signing them this summer and wanting to see how things play out is a fair ways from knowing they're on the way out. Obviously there is a reasonable chance they'll be gone, but I think it reasonable to believe Benning's words and that the Canucks really will want to see how things play out, not only how Hamhuis and Vrbata look but the progress of the prospects who might replace them and what other moves appear to be available.

I agree with the main point of the post that it is better that Benning didn't give up the assets that would have been required to get Lucic. I think though that "Hamhuis and Vrbata already known to be on their way out" overstates things.

As reported by the Province:

Canucks GM Jim Benning ... won’t be looking to re-sign pending unrestricted free agents Dan Hamhuis and Radim Vrbata this summer.

“We’re going to go into the season and see how it goes,”said Benning of the two pending UFAs, following a three-on-three tournament at the Canucks’ prospects development camp at Shawnigan Lake School on Tuesday afternoon.

“We’ve touched base with their agents a little, but we’ll see how it plays out.”

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/07/07/benning-making-progress-on-his-3-rfas-but-wont-re-sign-hamhuis-vrbata-this-summer/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Imo not signing them this summer and wanting to see how things play out is a fair ways from knowing they're on the way out. Obviously there is a reasonable chance they'll be gone, but I think it reasonable to believe Benning's words and that the Canucks really will want to see how things play out, not only how Hamhuis and Vrbata look but the progress of the prospects who might replace them and what other moves appear to be available.

Again Benning opens his mouth about his players status going forward, other GM's will be preparing low ball offers for when the time comes. The best trade Benning shoud never do is keep his big fat yap shut.

I'm just looking forward to 5 or 6 picks in the top 60 come next July.

Vrbata and Hamhuis are easily worth a first at the deadline, combined with a top 10 pick of our own

Hoping for about 8 picks. No to Lucic. Leary of where his head is. $'s over time can do strange things.

Lucic on the "downside" of his career ? Isn't he only 27 years old ? If Benning could sign him for reasonable term and numbers then he would be a brilliant signing for this team. I fully expect L.A. to sign him to an extension though, that's a pretty desirable place to play these days. As to the OP though, I'm glad Benning didn't paid that price for him too.

The answer is obvious.

Before I even read the post I thought the obvious answer was that this was discussed pretty much in the same light in the Lucic trade thread. I'm sure some would have like us to get him even for that price (of course our cap wouldn't have allowed it so the deal would have been different) but plenty were saying they wouldn't want to give up that much for a guy we might even be able to sign as a free agent next summer.

But kudos to you for making a thread about it.

Again Benning opens his mouth about his players status going forward, other GM's will be preparing low ball offers for when the time comes. The best trade Benning shoud never do is keep his big fat yap shut.

There's nothing wrong with what Benning said about Hammer or Vrbata, his answer could not have been more vague without flatly refusing to answer the question.

Benning has to massage fans like you to prep for changes that are coming. Hamhuis and Vrbata are obvious

candidates for movement come March. Benning is simply stating the obvious. The risk the Canucks face is that their play flat lines or even deteriorates. If that is the case then your concern about low balling

kicks in. Benning has set the table for a move at anytime pending offers. No quality offer then no deal.

Will Vrbata and Hamhuis be willing to move? Both are on the down side of their careers. Still effective

but if they want a serious CUP shot then I suspect they are open to movement.

I just will never understand the obsession that some people here have with Lucic. He is a big, slow, roid raging caveman.

aside from speed that's exactly what Benning wants. If Lucic doesn't re sign with LA he's probably coming here. I'd keep Hamhuis but I'd trade Vrbata if we could get a late first for him.

L.A. just watched their prospect + 1st rounder from the Sekera deal go to waste. And he excelled in the short time he was there.

Acquiring Lucic was L.A.'s chance to go for one more cup while they still have the cap room to add a player like that. (And even then, they paid a premium for Boston to retain 50% of his salary.) Kopitar will need a 3-4 million dollar raise at the end of the year, and then Toffoli, Pearson, and King are all up the following season. There aren't any significant contracts expiring in that timeframe either. And they still don't know for sure if the Mike Richards contract termination will hold up.

So where the hell are they going to find 6-7 million long-term to keep Lucic?

2 scenarios you just mentioned.

If Lucic performs (ie. 60 points) LA will do Chicago style trades to get the cap to re-sign him.

If Lucic doesn't perform, we shouldn't be signing him any way.

I may be biased on the above, but time will tell.

Benning has to massage fans like you to prep for changes that are coming. Hamhuis and Vrbata are obvious

candidates for movement come March. Benning is simply stating the obvious. The risk the Canucks face is that their play flat lines or even deteriorates. If that is the case then your concern about low balling

kicks in. Benning has set the table for a move at anytime pending offers. No quality offer then no deal.

Will Vrbata and Hamhuis be willing to move? Both are on the down side of their careers. Still effective

but if they want a serious CUP shot then I suspect they are open to movement.

Massage fans like me? the only thing he is massaging is his ego. Maybe keep some things close to your vest once in awhile. He said he had no quality offer for Kassian and still went ahead and royally screwed that up. What is he going to do if he can't get the proper deal for Hamhuis? sit and let him walk? more like package Hamhuis with a 2nd for a late round 1st.

aside from speed that's exactly what Benning wants. If Lucic doesn't re sign with LA he's probably coming here. I'd keep Hamhuis but I'd trade Vrbata if we could get a late first for him.

If Vrbata only gets a late first, Benning should be fired, like the same night.

Archived