The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

14 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

this might come to an end.

What do you think is the rationale behind Cathie Wood cutting the stock in Tesla?

Is the timing just a coincidence?

Over the last couple of weeks we heard that Lucid Motors will go public and that they are going to launch EV  in spring in the U.S. and in Europe before year end.

I ll give you a short summary of Tesla's competitors:

- XPENG, Nio, BYD and the German Car manufacturers (VW, BMW, Daimler, Porsche) in China & Europe

- Lucid Motors. Lucid was founded back in 2007 and developed batteries for E-.buses originally. That's the reason why their battery for EV's has a higher reach than Tesla's.

CEO of Lucid, Rawlinson was a former head of engineering at Tesla, head of production at Lucid is Hochholdinger , a former head of production at Tesla.

- Rivian is up and coming. Their battery technology is as good as Tesla's.

Both, Rivian and Lucid are going to attack Tesla on the norh american market. And believe me both EV manufactures are going to launch damn good cars, super design and high end battery technology.

Mentioned in one of my previous posts that Tesla is can sell only a portion of its Shanghai produced EV in China. They are going to run in production - overcapacities, because their short and mid - term sales forecast is ambitous / overly optimistic.

Tesla's lowered their selling prices for the German Market to match the cheaper selling price of Daimler's EV resulting in a lower gross margin. Of course I do know that US- analysts don't pay attention to profits and gross margin. They only look at the top-line (revenue) and growth. Both of them will be under intense pressure beginning in 2021.

This party will come to an end. That's for sure.

Have to remember Tesla is venturing into a lot of other revenue streams from solar, renewables, battery storage, their supercharge network is a good revenue stream too, etc. To just look at them as an EV company is silly and short sighted.  

Also ETFs (and mutual funds by law I believe to protect investors) can't hold more than 10% of a stock in any of their portfolios.  They litterally buy/sell Tesla daily to maintain 10% portfolio balance depending on how everything else does.  

Yes there is competition, but NIO and Xpeng currently are M3 competitors, they don't have a true competitor for the Y/S/X.  Lucid should provide some good competition but still biggest issue in North American with EVs is the lack of charging cross country which Tesla currently dominates specificially for their vehicles, I know I have an Ioiniq and the reliablity of chargers and amount of fast ones aren't always great and reliable.  Rivian will have competition for the CyberTruck but lets be honest, the last number I saw in August had Rivian at 30k preorders while the CyberTruck had 650k allegedly.  Now pre-orders don't mean a ton, its all a non-refundable deposit but I know I am waiting on my preorder of the CT. Plus all the FSD have not been factored into their finances yet as its still in beta and won't show on the books until its fully released. 

Have to remember Tesla developed their own FSD unlike all these other car companies who are using Lidar, NVIDIA, MobileEye, etc. where they are going to pay a fee for every car that will hold it, thats a fee Tesla no longer has to pay someone else.  

I don't know what party you're talking about.  Tesla or ARK?  Because ARK keeps changing things up to try and make the best investments possible and not laying to waste.  While Tesla is just scratching the surface, they have the 1000km Semi, CT, and a 25k EV coming to China/Europe so theres no shortage or massive amounts of vehicles coming out on their end let alone all the other stuff they are doing. 

I guess we will see, I am still banking on both to be some of the most succesful companies of our lives for the forseeable future. 

8 hours ago, Lancaster said:

That would be the most stupidest idea ever.  

If you're even thinking of holding non-distributing assets long-term, you'll constantly have to liquidate part of your portfolio just to pay taxes.  

Imagine you put $50000 on Tesla stocks 1 year ago.... and now that it went up 10x, you are now a taxable liability of $250,000 x (whatever tax rate). 

I also get the feeling that they won't be implementing a Unrealized Tax Loss Credit.  

And how would they do unrealized losses or gains?  Some stocks can fluxuate 10% a day easy so when would it be done.  And of course losses wouldn't count lol.  And how would that work for all the mutual funds/ETFs?

This is basically some BS to try and make supporters feel that they would be sticking it to the rich man on wallstreet when it would affect every person in the country.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Quite long, but this sums up the whole Gamestop pump pretty nicely - it's not what you think it is.

Lots of articles and other video segments by the institutions claiming how it's "not fair", it's "market manipulations", "crappy", etc.  

Not just due to GME, BB, etc., today.... but SPAC's too.  

It's like individual investors realizing that collectively they have more sway than any hedge fund, financial institution, bank, and any of huge market players.... and those power-that-be aren't happy about it.  

4 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Quite long, but this sums up the whole Gamestop pump pretty nicely - it's not what you think it is.

Overall a decent explanation but he gets a few things wrong. It's not difficult to get access to margin. You don't need to fill out endless forms and whatnot. You just click a button a voila you have access to margin. Practically anyone can access margin not just hedge funds. It's available to any retail investor.

He fails to make a distinction between shares outstanding and float. The 2 numbers can be drastically different.

His blaming short sellers for GME's crappy performance in years past is weak. It's a horribly run company pure and simple. It's not short sellers responsible for workers losing their jobs, it's inept management and a horrible business model.

The last $100 of the GME move wasn't because of WallStreet Bets. It was because one of the largest hedge funds in the world Citadel Capital decided to stick it to short sellers and run the stock with huge amounts of capital. WSB got the move started and Citadel provided the finishing move.

P.S. If anyone cares there's an obscene amount of BB $25 calls for this Friday.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Upvote 2

ERES - East Resources Acquisition Company - https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1814287/000156459020031714/cik0001814287-s1.htm

$300M SPAC - We intend to focus our search for a target business in the energy industry in North America.

Warrants are under $1.75, energy is hot and the CEO is Terry Pegula, Owner of the Bills and Sabers.

There has been some large purchased lately, makes me think they're close to obtaining their target.

image.png.229a7de32e5808c624bbbbdebdab07a0.png

34 minutes ago, AriGold2.0 said:

ERES - East Resources Acquisition Company - https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1814287/000156459020031714/cik0001814287-s1.htm

$300M SPAC - We intend to focus our search for a target business in the energy industry in North America.

Warrants are under $1.75, energy is hot and the CEO is Terry Pegula, Owner of the Bills and Sabers.

There has been some large purchased lately, makes me think they're close to obtaining their target.

image.png.229a7de32e5808c624bbbbdebdab07a0.png

I just grabbed 10,000 warrants @ $1.49

Another Bill Foley SPAC, WPF, warrants are down 20% today for some reason @ $2.60's. Merger with Alight was confirmed this weekend I think after rumors from late December. No idea why its down so much, gonna try and do some DD, but may make an entry while it's down.

2 hours ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Sorry to keep asking so many dumb questions because I still don’t understand this world at all (although a couple of the things you mentioned a while back have started to turn a profit (pubm) thank you!) -
all that said, what would your guess be at the price you’ll sell that at and in what sort of timeframe?

With a spac like this, and assuming it moves forward, could that be $25 in 2 years?

2 hours ago, AriGold2.0 said:

i grabbed some earlier too.

Currently sitting on only a few things for warrants

BREZ

HZAC

GNPK

ALAC

and now ERES

Will see what happens here, only holding 250 of each to stay within my margins but  30% is far from out of the question with them  all well under the $2 mark and the new green energy push in the US

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

i grabbed some earlier too.

Currently sitting on only a few things for warrants

BREZ

HZAC

GNPK

ALAC

and now ERES

Will see what happens here, only holding 250 of each to stay within my margins but  30% is far from out of the question with them  all well under the $2 mark and the new green energy push in the US

Let’s get the whole squad in... Want to make this the cdc stock ? Haha

1 hour ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Let’s get the whole squad in... Want to make this the cdc stock ? Haha

1 hour ago, inane said:

picked up 5000 at 1.47. give heads up if you hear any news!

1 hour ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I'm in 1.49

Best Nick Cage Lets Ride GIFs | Gfycat

gift.gif