The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

8 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Feel bad for people that don’t trim or take profits. Things can go poof up in smoke just like that.

This is my dilemma, which to trim, and how much...

I've trimmed before (SHOP, SQ) and it has done nothing but go up since...

Edited by inane

24 minutes ago, inane said:

for me SHOP and SQ are long term investments. I wouldn't trim long term investments in general. Only In the rare case when I expect a setback in stock markets in the near future I would.

rule of thumb: trim 10-20% of your position and let the remainder run, depends on how much you are convinced in the stock you hold; if you aren't that much convinced trim even more like 30-40%.

Trimming only a certain percentage ensures that you will benefit once the stock moves up with the remaining position.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst

23 minutes ago, inane said:

If you have long term conviction on strong companies with the fundamentals that back them, no need to worry about trimming.

If you're riding the wave of a pumped stock that is not trading on fundamentals or value but rather volume and internet pumps, good idea to take some at 20, some at 40 and by that point your initial capital should be returned and the rest can ride free

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

If you have long term conviction on strong companies with the fundamentals that back them, no need to worry about trimming.

If you're riding the wave of a pumped stock that is not trading on fundamentals or value but rather volume and internet pumps, good idea to take some at 20, some at 40 and by that point your initial capital should be returned and the rest can ride free

Ya, most of my plays are long term so ... i'm gonna just ride it

2 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Speaking of up in smoke, weed stocks are getting pounded today!

Haha yeah that's where my comment originally came from! ;) 

Didn't catch the top but had scaled out majority of my TLRY calls between 50-55 common price, and some at 60 but I did have to sell some this morning at 45, sucks but when my entry on them was a dollar when the commons were in the 6's, can't complain.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Speaking of up in smoke, weed stocks are getting pounded today!

That was a lot of fun. Volume on SNDL is 2.9 Billion. Pretty sure that's a record.

OGI was a little over $8 in pre market. Actual retail price ..... $3.72

TLRY was $75.33 in pre market lol Actual retail price .... $31.80

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Sp3nny said:

Ya it doesn't look like anything new to me. Too bad. I want that DA so bad lol.

Some rumblings of progress coming through that it’s going to be a cash deal, cashing out Venrock who was involved etc. 

but primarily, the it department changed the colours of a font for a few hours and people freaked out 

8 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Feel bad for people that don’t trim or take profits. Things can go poof up in smoke just like that.

Experience. The journey of investing is a long term play in itself.

The lessons are painful and expensive, but if you're willing to stick with it and learn from your mistakes, it's very rewarding.

Not collecting profits, taking advice from a friend/internet anonymous without further research, not using stop losses, FOMO, etc

These thing will happen to everyone at some point. You either learn or quit and put your money in GIC's lol. 

10 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Image result for yup gif

4 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Bloomberg’s IT department doing an internal update on their platform and people bugging out :emot-parrot:

No DA by market open I expect profits to be taken for a few hours. Will look to buy back in around 10am.

48 minutes ago, NickTheGreek said:

So what do y'all think of the outlook for Square?

Bought a bunch last March thanks to the god @AriGold2.0 himself. I thinking I'm going to stick with this one

I use square for my business, I've used all processing companies and it's the best by a long shot.

Look at the growth..

17 - 2.2B

18 - 3.3B

19 - 4.7B

20 - 7.6B with Q4 numbers in 2 weeks.. 

Trim when it hits $300 :metal:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Image result for yup gif

No DA by market open I expect profits to be taken for a few hours. Will look to buy back in around 10am.

I use square for my business, I've used all processing companies and it's the best by a long shot.

Look at the growth..

17 - 2.2B

18 - 3.3B

19 - 4.7B

20 - 7.6B with Q4 numbers in 2 weeks.. 

Trim when it hits $300 :metal:

meanwhile i'm here like go penny stocks go!!!!