The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

3 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Thanks for the GBLC recommendation a few weeks ago, jumped on it when you mentioned it, nice little double up for me!

Rumours of a merger as soon as tomorrow, i dove out at 19 cents this morning about bought back in at 15.5 cents, made close to $4k on that.

3 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Thanks for the GBLC recommendation a few weeks ago, jumped on it when you mentioned it, nice little double up for me!

For what it's worth, I also mentione dZOM at 13 cents and ACDC at 17 cents....sold short on both of them after initially saying I wouldn't sell until they'd hit $1....kicking myself hard for using them to enter new positons

10 hours ago, Warhippy said:

For what it's worth, I also mentione dZOM at 13 cents and ACDC at 17 cents....sold short on both of them after initially saying I wouldn't sell until they'd hit $1....kicking myself hard for using them to enter new positons

I know how that feels like, its nice taking in profit, but it REALLY REALLY sucks missing out on a rocket ship. I looked at my watchlist, most of which ive jumped off of to yes, to start new positions somewhere else. I made pretty good money, but man, had I stuck it out, I probably would've been up almost 6 digits. This time around, if I like something, Im sticking with it rather than just making quick money and exiting, and its been working out so far.

I was watching the news late last week and caught Global news piece on EXRO technologies (EXRO), was caught hook line and sinker and did some research. Looks like theres some potential. They deal with Coils and BCMs, they basically help make EV vehicles be more efficient, being able to squeeze out more mileage on each charge, and we all know EV is the craze now. They have had orders for their coils already for the EV bike sector which is going to be huge world wide and their tech is transfferable to cars and boats. Take look and tell me what you guys think. I took a mid sized position, made 30% so far in 2 days. I know its small potatoes for some of you guys but hey, I'll contribute to your wallets when I can! Chart looks like its in a very steady growth, but its been making a steeper climb as of late

40 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

There are winners at the hedgefund side as well....  one hedgefund made 700 million with GME.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/this-hedge-fund-made-700-million-on-gamestop-11612390687

They had shares since September, I wonder when they were planning on shorting them lol.  Guess this worked out better for them.

8 hours ago, themcdeal said:

Everyones a genius during a bull a run - Just make sure to be collecting profits along the way

well said, man.

Everthing is going up  SPAC's all over the place, Cryptocurrencies (esp. Bitcoin skyrocketed, after Tesla's announcement yesterday), small stocks in particular.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst

13 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

well said, man.

Everthing is going up  SPAC's all over the place, Cryptocurrencies (esp. Bitcoin skyrocketed, after Tesla's announcement yesterday), small stocks in particular.

We are in huge bubble where earnings, debt, sales etc. don’t matter at all and valuations are ridiculous 

Sooner or later this thing will pop like the dot com bubble leaving lot of bag holders.

The month was late October/early November

Tlry had a down day dipped into the 6s 

I posted on discord and I think here I was loading up a bunch of 7.50 strike leap calls expiring June 2021

It’s a Tuesday, and no Canucks game, but a bottle of Opus One will be getting opened tonight. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Mikey2Dope said:

What are peoples thoughts on VERY (Very Good Food Company)? I can sell at a decent profit today and I'm getting tired of all the red days. Any optimism that this picks up steam again?

If you can hold it you'll be rewarded. Rupert plan production started, California launching soon, new distributors, etc. Next earnings report will show big growth, but guidance will also demonstrate how big 2021 will be. 

If you need the money, never bad to take profit

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Has anyone delved into commodities? Do you just invest in individual companies who produce corn, uranium, gold, etc? ETFs?

Looking into it to hedge against impending inflation...

Got a bit of a position in a gold miner so far, but looking at other raw goods. 

other raw goods ... well Cryptocurrencies come to my mind, Bitcoin, Ethereum... ; lithium is also a raw good which is on the upward trajectory because it's part of the batteries in EV's, some lithium companies out there Standard Lithium, Millenium Lithium... ;

Some large hedgefunds hold GDX in their portfolios.

Top 20 Shareholders of GDX:

https://hedgefollow.com/stocks/GDX

7 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

other raw goods ... well Cryptocurrencies come to my mind, Bitcoin, Ethereum... ; lithium is also a raw good which is on the upward trajectory because it's part of the batteries in EV's, some lithium companies out there Standard Lithium, Millenium Lithium... ;

Some large hedgefunds hold GDX in their portfolios.

Top 20 Shareholders of GDX:

https://hedgefollow.com/stocks/GDX

Lithium looks like another play to keep in mind, thanks.

Anyone got thoughts on inflation? It's crazy how the USD money supply has gone up over 25% or something like that in just a single year. Apparently inflation hasn't kicked in yet because there's nowhere to spend the money (i.e. money velocity at pretty much all time lows). Once the pandemic is over and people start going back to normal spending habits...look out. Happy to listen to contrary views if there are any out there.

1 hour ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Has anyone delved into commodities? Do you just invest in individual companies who produce corn, uranium, gold, etc? ETFs?

Looking into it to hedge against impending inflation...

Got a bit of a position in a gold miner so far, but looking at other raw goods. 

Uranium is a tough market to understand.  Everything points to it going up... but I've been in a few dogs that just worth a fraction of initial investment.  The lack of political will in the First World countries with continuing nuclear energy makes it an industry many avoid.  Places like China are still building nuke plants though... but I believe they have their own domestic uranium sources or they are sourced from CCP-friendly jurisdictions.  

I personally prefer owning the physical metal rather than EFT... but there is a markup to the coins and bullions.  If an ounce of silver is 20 bucks, the coin/bullion probably sells for like $22-24.  The markup are proportionally less once you buy large bars.... like maybe the 100oz silver bar will be only $2150 instead of the $2200-2400 if you purchase 100 separate pieces.  

If you are really serious about getting into precious metals, you have to decide on what your ultimate purpose is.  You want it as a hedge and diversification, then large units.  If you think it will be some type of collapse of fiat currency or some type of doomsday scenario where bartering will be the next "decentralized" economy... then smaller units are easier to trade with.

I recommend checking out the Canadian mint for some of their products.  I remember I got some $20 silver coins a while back that was like 90% silver or something.  So if silver prices really tank... it is still $20 legal tender.  If silver prices skyrockets, the silver will worth more.  

Purchased online with no taxes or shipping... so free credit cards points if you like collecting those (I certainly do!)

3 hours ago, Mikey2Dope said:

What are peoples thoughts on VERY (Very Good Food Company)? I can sell at a decent profit today and I'm getting tired of all the red days. Any optimism that this picks up steam again?

They are also about to be listed on the TSX, so that might help... but I agree, VERY has been disappointing the last few months. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

They are also about to be listed on the TSX, so that might help... but I agree, VERY has been disappointing the last few months. 

I'd disagree.

Small Victoria based company flew from IPO at 25 cents per share to a high of just under $10/share in 6 months. Healthy retracements now while they have expanded their business like crazy, have increased production, more marketing, more US distribution. A lot of us in this thread have averages in the $2 or $3/share range

Edited by NucksPatsFan