The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Preseason performances: reality vs business of what starting roster should be

TheRussianRocket.

What a shame it would be if Hutton didn't make the opening night roster. No one on our defense has even close to the poise he does with the puck. Last Canuck defenseman able to do the things Hutton does was Ehrhoff.

Our power play looks so much better with Hutton on it. He adds a lot of creativity to it. Like on McCann's goal for example, most guys would have probably shot it and got it blocked, but he drew the defender in and gave a nice pass to McCann for the goal.

He's played against older and bigger players the last few years in College, he doesn't need to go to the AHL.

The only real concern is if he can handle playing that many games, but he's young and very mobile, so I personally don't think it's an issue. If it is he can always be sent down...

Not only does he add poise, speed and offense to our back end but he also adds size.

Our defense needs him badly.

McCann better get 9 games, and Hutton better get a real chance. I don't really care that management has backed itself into a corner with bad contracts.

Kenins, Cracknell to Utica, Virtannen goes to junior. I don't really care if Vey is lost on waivers to be honest, I've no use for a small slow player. I can't even think of one small player that can't skate and is successful in the NHL. I don't really care if we have to lose a defender either. Waive Sbisa, he's trash.

Our defense needs him badly.

Right? If I have to watch a year of our defenders throwing the puck into a corner because they don't know what to do on the PP again I'm going to lose it.

People don't get it, when you have a legit threat on the point it opens up space for the forwards.

Right? If I have to watch a year of our defenders throwing the puck into a corner because they don't know what to do on the PP again I'm going to lose it.

People don't get it, when you have a legit threat on the point it opens up space for the forwards.

Not to mention that the pp is the best tough guy going, because teams know they will pay, if we don't have that weapon then teams play us without fear.

That's a huge misconception people all have lol. Same thing was said last year about Bo starting out on the 4th. Gotta start somewhere.

And like I said, 4th line with WD is different from 4th line with any other team. 4th line here means 12 minutes a night which is really 3rd line minutes. So for people who keep saying this, yes, 3rd line minutes on the 4th line would be a great spot for McCann. Don't know how much more time anyone would want him to start off with because clearly that would be rushing him lol.

Right.

And, McCann doesn't have to play with both Prust and Dorsett. Actually, I don't think putting Prust and Dorsett on the same line is a good idea (redundant).

My line up is:

1st: Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

2nd: Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

3rd: Prust-Sutter-Hansen

4th: Gaunce-McCann-Dorsett

Extra: Vey/Virtanen/Kenins

1st: Edler-Tanev

2nd : Hamhuis-Weber

3rd: Hutton-Bartkowski

Extras: Sbisa, Corrado

PP1: Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata Edler-Weber

PP2: Burrows-Horvat-McCann Hutton-Bartkowski

McCann better get 9 games, and Hutton better get a real chance. I don't really care that management has backed itself into a corner with bad contracts.

Kenins, Cracknell to Utica, Virtannen goes to junior. I don't really care if Vey is lost on waivers to be honest, I've no use for a small slow player. I can't even think of one small player that can't skate and is successful in the NHL. I don't really care if we have to lose a defender either. Waive Sbisa, he's trash.

We likely won't end up putting Vey on waivers.

There are 2 or 3 more cuts to be made at forward and 2 or 3 cuts to be made on D.

Likely roster so far:

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Baertschi Sutter Burrows

Horvat Hansen

Dorsett Prust

Higgins (IR)

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Weber

Sbisa Bartkowski

Corrado

Bubble players up front:

Gaunce

McCann

Virtanen

Vey

Cracknell

Kenins

Bubble players on D:

Hutton

Biega

Fedun

I personally think the cuts will be Virtanen, Cracknell, Kenins up front, leaving Gaunce, McCann, and Vey. And Biega and Fedun on D leaving Hutton.

We likely won't end up putting Vey on waivers.

There are 2 or 3 more cuts to be made at forward and 2 or 3 cuts to be made on D.

Likely roster so far:

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Baertschi Sutter Burrows

Horvat Hansen

Dorsett Prust

Higgins (IR)

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Weber

Sbisa Bartkowski

Corrado

Bubble players up front:

Gaunce

McCann

Virtanen

Vey

Cracknell

Kenins

Bubble players on D:

Hutton

Biega

Fedun

I personally think the cuts will be Virtanen, Cracknell, Kenins up front, leaving Gaunce, McCann, and Vey. And Biega and Fedun on D leaving Hutton.

This wouldn't be bad.

Let the kids play

'cept Linden , Waive Vey to the AHL . He can learn down there.

Trade Weber and Higgins for picks or a D.

i like this TOP 6

Twins get Young Jake "Bam-Bam' Virtanen

Bo gets a couple shooters

Sedin-Sedin-Virtanen

McCann-Horvat-Vrbata

Burrows-Sutter-Hansen

Gaunce-Cracknell-Dorsett
Prust,Kenins

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Bartkowski
Hamhuis-Sbisa

Corrado

Markstrom

Miller

Yeah, I don't know why some of our other legitimate top six players don't get a shot at the top line.

Oh wait....

That's not the point!! The fact that there are no other legit top six players NOW... is the POINT !!

It's to late to rescue this team from sinking lower... but if your patent... then one day... after Hank and Dan have retired... our city could win the cup.

That's the Point !!!

Where does Benning really go from here? It's all about asset management.

Players in question (in the short term):

• Baertschi - has to clear waivers, stays with the big club
  • Vey - has to clear waivers, stays with the big club
  • Gaunce - doesn't have to clear waivers, going to Utica
  • McCann - junior or Canucks, gets a 9 game trial, what happens after that depends on how he plays
  • Virtanen - junior or Canucks, gets a 9 game trial, what happens after that depends on how he plays
  • Corrado - has to clear waivers, stays with the big club
  • Hutton - does not have to clear waivers, going to Utica
  • Kenins - does not have to clear waivers, going to Utica

This way, Benning doesn't lose any assets unnecessarily. Players sent to Utica are available for call up in case of injury or TRADE.

Line up:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baertschi Horvat Vrbata

______ Sutter Hansen..........so the blank is filled by Vey and 4C is McCann; or, call up Gaunce or Kenins for opening night

Prust Vey Dorsett

McCann Virtanen

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Weber

Sbisa Bartkowski

Corrado

Miller

Markstrom

Players in doubt are still on the hot seat with pressure from all possible call ups and Virtanen and McCann.

All players sent down to Utica will continue to benefit from playing pro and provided continued improvement and good play, will be available to slot in if deals can be made for certain players who have either made themselves redundant or others who may be moved as rentals at the trade deadline. Either way, Benning will be under no pressure to accept a bad deal.

as some have mentioned.......McCann would be going back to a first class organization with a legit shot at the Mem Cup and he would be the go to guy.......Virt would e going back to the Hitmen, who despite a good run last year, are not a well run Jr org and badly misused Virt last year. I would not trust them to have Jake's best developmental interests at heart. He would be, imo, better served learning from Gully/Pearn etc etc.

Usually agree with you stawns, but the Hitmen have made the playoffs 16 of the last 17 years.

In that time they've produced the likes of Getzlaf, Ladd, Boychuk, Alzner...

In a class with Portland and Kelowna imo - one of the better run teams perennially in the Dub for quite some time.

That said, I think/agree that Virtanen will probably remain with the Canucks this year - and that McCann, despite how good he is and has looked, is more likely to return to the CHL.

Whether McCann is ready to hold up over an 82 game season and potentially the playoffs is a legitimate question that I think some of the youth culture folks may underestimate. On the other hand, I love his intensity and gumption - he has the kind of drive it takes imo, and I wouldn't assume that he's not ready.

But when you get down to managing their assets - they have Cassels, who'll be available to recall freely, Vey, and Cracknell.

I'm not sure the value of keeping McCann with the club outweighs the cost of waiving a guy like Vey - I just don't see that happening.

My guess would be that Gaunce and Hutton as well as Cassels will got to the A - because they will be available regardless, and provide excellent flexibility / options for JB moving forward. There is no rush to resolve all the roster questions - particularly with Higgins out for a while.

McCann imo is the one real bottleneck player - I hate the effect that the CBA has on players in this exact circumstance where their season has to be determined by game 9, but given that reality, it will be surprising if he makes the roster for game 10.

To his credit though, when GMJB makes up his mind, he tends to get it done (in terms of deals). If they did decide McCann gives them the best opportunity to win - I don't doubt they'd do what it takes to clear a space.

One thing about Vey that people tend to forget though - in a game like last night's, he's tasked with some pretty challenging matchups with Henrik and Sutter out of the lineup, and facing a forward group as deep at center as the Sharks are. I think he held up alright under the circumstances.

Having to pass through waivers is not a good enough reason to earn a spot on the team though.

I would argue Biega and Cracknell have done more to earn a spot, and they'll both likely have to be put on waivers. Either one of them could be claimed as well.

Having to pass through waivers is not a good enough reason to earn a spot on the team though.

I would argue Biega and Cracknell have done more to earn a spot, and they'll both likely have to be put on waivers. Either one of them could be claimed as well.

The risk of losing players of value is a major consideration. If Vey gets claimed and McCann tries out for 9 games but flames out like Shiro Shirokov, they're pretty much screwed at Centre esp if there's an injury to Henrik, Horvat or Sutter. There is a good level of job security for players like Vey and Weber due to lack of depth and waiver considerations. A good solution would be trade but if teams know we're desperate, nothing will happen. Management has to walk a fine line between managing the system and player morale.

Usually agree with you stawns, but the Hitmen have made the playoffs 16 of the last 17 years.

In that time they've produced the likes of Getzlaf, Ladd, Boychuk, Alzner...

In a class with Portland and Kelowna imo - one of the better run teams perennially in the Dub for quite some time.

That said, I think/agree that Virtanen will probably remain with the Canucks this year - and that McCann, despite how good he is and has looked, is more likely to return to the CHL.

Whether McCann is ready to hold up over an 82 game season and potentially the playoffs is a legitimate question that I think some of the youth culture folks may underestimate. On the other hand, I love his intensity and gumption - he has the kind of drive it takes imo, and I wouldn't assume that he's not ready.

But when you get down to managing their assets - they have Cassels, who'll be available to recall freely, Vey, and Cracknell.

I'm not sure the value of keeping McCann with the club outweighs the cost of waiving a guy like Vey - I just don't see that happening.

My guess would be that Gaunce and Hutton as well as Cassels will got to the A - because they will be available regardless, and provide excellent flexibility / options for JB moving forward. There is no rush to resolve all the roster questions - particularly with Higgins out for a while.

McCann imo is the one real bottleneck player - I hate the effect that the CBA has on players in this exact circumstance where their season has to be determined by game 9, but given that reality, it will be surprising if he makes the roster for game 10.

To his credit though, when GMJB makes up his mind, he tends to get it done (in terms of deals). If they did decide McCann gives them the best opportunity to win - I don't doubt they'd do what it takes to clear a space.

One thing about Vey that people tend to forget though - in a game like last night's, he's tasked with some pretty challenging matchups with Henrik and Sutter out of the lineup, and facing a forward group as deep at center as the Sharks are. I think he held up alright under the circumstances.

The people I know in the W dont speak highly of the Hitman staff, at all. I would feel differently if Virt werent capable of playing in the NHL, but he obviously is. Tge things he needs to work on comes from coaching, and I think theyre better off being in full control of that. Gully did it with Bo.

Virtanen stays because he's physically ready. McCann, Hutton sent down. Why ruin a young player and his development in a meaningless season for us. Let them battle for a spot with Auston Matthews/Jakob Chychrun next training camp.

Archived