The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sbisa put on IR

Outsiders

Yeah I have read a few more pages of the thread.  Did miss some items.  I also agree, quite heavily, that we don't engage in stop gap fillers or rentals to prop us up artificially. 

Especially because Hamhuis is apparently also back.? Part and parcel I am surprised that some of the names on your list are rumours.  Maybe I've also missed dialogue elsewhere. Others like Wideman or Russell are actually pretty logical names to be out there. Even Fowler to an extent. But not all.

Now, as to us. We are currently in the business of building. So I do disagree that we should not acquire young parts we know we need. We clearly need size and physicality, a bone crunching crease clearer, on our D. Will that be Pedan? Tryamkin? We stilldo not know... And we absolutely need help on the right side of our D. Injuries or no! It would not hurt, at all, if we found a right handed twin to Hutton for example. A guy who can handle the puck and jump into plays from either side of the pond. Hamhuis and Bart are both UFA this year, so we need Pedan PLUS? There is lots of scope to suggest improving our  young D, in particular the right side of our D, is the critical element to our long term health!

There are young guys that could conceivably be out there. Jordan Schmaltz may never see the light of PP time in St Lou if, as u would expect, Shattenkirk, Parayko and Pietrangelo remain in their long term plans. They are all right side D. Doubt Schmaltz would even cost you Vrbata? With Petrovic & EKBLAD handling size and physical play; would Florida give up Gudbranson to make a play at FINALLY playing in the play offs before someone hands Jagr a cane? Or Petrovic who would be cheaper and exactly the 3rd pairing big nasty D we need! I'll call him DD I like him so much! Jersey, Carolina, hell even Philly are as heavily tilted in D prospects as we are in forward ones???

Here's one of the links via the rumour mill

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/rumor-roundup-lightning-look-to-move-contracts-to-re-sign-stamkos/ar-BBmKbXb?li=AAadgLE

Wasn't aware Hammer was back, I know he says he's 100% but I didn't think he was playing tonight.  I am not advocating not making sensible trades.  I am more advocating not jumping anything right now with what we've spent so long trying to obtain simply to fill a hole.

I agree there are literally dozens of possible moves to be made.  For us and others.  But for us right now, with some of the more popular names being tossed around it's hard to see a deal that makes sense for our org value wise.

Well Sbisa really has not played well the past 2 games. Constantly in their own zone and making bad decisions for breaking out of it. Hutton IMO has made him look pretty decent. Now that he's been paired with Bartkowski, his mistakes are coming more frequently.

Wasn't he the 2nd Star last game??

Dunno if this belongs here, but .......

Why do do few defencemen hip-check nowadays?  Is it an innate skill that is being lost? Can it be taught? (I grew up in Scotland and never followed hockey until I came to Canada, so many of the nuances are lost to me)

I know it's not a size thing - Rob Blake was one of the best, as was Keith Ballard (6'4"  and 220 vs 5'11" and 200).  Are the refs calling it dirty play now?  I saw Hammer get penalized for one last season that the refs called a low hit.

Seems to me that if Sbisa could add a hip-check to his repertoire he would become a much more feared and effective defenceman.

(Got my own answer on Google: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/archive/index.php/t-1775217.html)

Dunno if this belongs here, but .......

Why do do few defencemen hip-check nowadays?  Is it an innate skill that is being lost? Can it be taught? (I grew up in Scotland and never followed hockey until I came to Canada, so many of the nuances are lost to me)

I know it's not a size thing - Rob Blake was one of the best, as was Keith Ballard (6'4"  and 220 vs 5'11" and 200).  Are the refs calling it dirty play now?  I saw Hammer get penalized for one last season that the refs called a low hit.

Seems to me that if Sbisa could add a hip-check to his repertoire he would become a much more feared and effective defenceman.

(Got my own answer on Google: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/archive/index.php/t-1775217.html)

It's a difficult check to get the timing down, one misstep and you can seriously hurt yourself &/or the other player. Even executed properly it's real easy to hurt yourself..just look at Hamhuis in the Cup Final. 

Here's one of the links via the rumour mill

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/rumor-roundup-lightning-look-to-move-contracts-to-re-sign-stamkos/ar-BBmKbXb?li=AAadgLE

Wasn't aware Hammer was back, I know he says he's 100% but I didn't think he was playing tonight.  I am not advocating not making sensible trades.  I am more advocating not jumping anything right now with what we've spent so long trying to obtain simply to fill a hole.

I agree there are literally dozens of possible moves to be made.  For us and others.  But for us right now, with some of the more popular names being tossed around it's hard to see a deal that makes sense for our org value wise.

Pretty reasonable Hippy.

As for that list; no one beyond Fowler I would be interested in trading for. And even then, although he is worth it, I still probably don't bite. He's a lefty and we'd have to make room for him.

Archived