The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Holy weak division Batman!

VIC_CITY

Honestly, Calgary playing .250ish hockey is still pretty shocking.  Last year's team plus Doug Hamilton.  There's no way they should be below .500, which is still terrible.  It's damn near impossible to go 3-9-1 in today's NHL.  You have to almost be trying to lose.

They did miss Brodie. But he's back & making an impact.

Last years team + Dougie Hamilton + Frolik + Giordano is healthy + Sam Bennett ( and he's not doing bad> 7 points in 13 games). Plus other young guys were supposed to step up?

Johnny Hockey has! Point a game so far.

Seems their goaltending, Backlund, Jones, Colborne, Jooris, Kris Russell, Raymond & others, even Gio maybe, have gone backwards. Monahan, a 30 goal scorer last year, has just two snipes so far...

I made a mention about this last season when the Pacific were really the weakest division apart from Anaheim. Now, even Anaheim sucks and it's as if the Kings and Ducks have swapped roles.

Still early days, there's no way a team as skilled as the Ducks and Flames can remain non-playoff teams all season long. This is a brutal start but still an erasable deficit.

Honestly, Calgary playing .250ish hockey is still pretty shocking.  Last year's team plus Doug Hamilton.  There's no way they should be below .500, which is still terrible.  It's damn near impossible to go 3-9-1 in today's NHL.  You have to almost be trying to lose.

If you consider how many times they stole games late in the third period last year, yeah, they are right where they should be.  They never showed signs of breaking out, they just had a few good players and some incredible luck.  Anaheim on the other hand... just wow.

Canadians are largest market per capita by far. 

Canadian teams are most profitable. 

Canadian fans pay in cdn

Canadian teams subsidize poor US teams

league salaries are in usd

Got it...thanks folks. So to summarize, basically the NHL has less buying power (collecting CND's and spending USD'S).

Calgary's regression might have been inevitable.  But moreso, enjoyable.  Fairly overrated team.  Hamilton an overrated defenseman.  Let them continue to suck.

Anaheim might have made a mistake replacing Beauchemin with Bieksa.  Maybe they're anticipating Shea Theodore or somebody to rise up soon, but for now that looks premature, and they miss Beauchemin's steadying presence on the left side.  That being said, Perry has one goal so far and Getzlaf 1 assist.  WTF?!?  Are they tanking?

Edmonton is doing about as well as expected, but they could go either way as they're still not a complete team.  Their D is still atrocious. 

Arizona is also doing about as well as expected, as-is LA and SJ.  And so are we so far.

So overall it's Calgary and Anaheim who are sucking it up so far.  Are they actually this bad?  We'll see.  Long season.

Isn't there a dateline by which point 95% of the playoff position teams make the play offs?  Thought it was by  US thanks giving?

Statistics, all kinds of them and teams going gaga about using them.

So why are they so quiet about US thanksgiving day? You know the date that only 4 teams since 2004 that aren't in the playoffs by 4 points have ended up in the show?

Is game management going to change this stat?

Why are there so few moves/trades made knowing this incredibly accurate stat.

And that is just thanksgiving day, by December 1rst, 85% of the teams ranked in the playoffs....make the playoffs. This stat is even older, going back to the advent of the pity point.

You do know that the top 3 teams in the division automatically make it right? I can see Vancouver beating at the very least SJ. The way ANA is playing we could beat them too.

Canucks havent even been playing their best hockey and their still up there. LAK will cool off soon. I see no issue coming 2nd/3rd in the division.

You do know that the top 3 teams in the division automatically make it right? I can see Vancouver beating at the very least SJ. The way ANA is playing we could beat them too.

Canucks havent even been playing their best hockey and their still up there. LAK will cool off soon. I see no issue coming 2nd/3rd in the division.

I don't think anyone has issue with us finishing 2nd or 3rd. The point is that if we don't finish in the to 3 of our division, we will be hard pressed making the playoffs at all since there's a strong likelihood of the 7th/8th seeds being occupied by Central teams.

I don't think anyone has issue with us finishing 2nd or 3rd. The point is that if we don't finish in the to 3 of our division, we will be hard pressed making the playoffs at all since there's a strong likelihood of the 7th/8th seeds being occupied by Central teams.

That's precisely what I just said. We will finish 2nd or 3rd in our division, meaning we will make the playoffs.

Archived