The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian told by MTL not to report to the AHL

Kevin Biestra

10 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Name one... I can't ever remember that happening.

Maybe I am wrong, but I am sure it's happened more than once where a team was unable to just pick up a guy off waivers due to contracts or cap space, but was willing to trade one of their project players instead.

I'll try and find an example.

Big picture, I am mostly trying to say that just because he was told not to report, doesn't necessarily mean he had more problems.  I think people are a little too quick to write him off.

15 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

I was just going to say...

IMO his best option now is to pack up and move to the KHL. 

Could be a great redeeming opportunity and he might even develop some much need confidence. 

As the NHL and AHL want nothing to do with him for now unless he wants to be play for ECHL now lol. 

13 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Maybe I am wrong, but I am sure it's happened more than once where a team was unable to just pick up a guy off waivers due to contracts or cap space, but was willing to trade one of their project players instead.

Big picture, I am mostly trying to say that just because he was told not to report, doesn't necessarily mean he had more problems.  I think people are a little too quick to write him off.

I agree on the big picture and more problems, I'm thinking Montreal just wants nothing to do with him not necessarily because they found other issues.

32 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Possibly, but it seems odd that someone would trade for him when they could have just claimed him off waivers for nothing...

Sometimes a team can't or won't claim a player because they're at or too close to the 50 contract limit. Once waivers are started they can't bypass the process with a trade so they'd have to wait until after if they needed to move a contract back to make it happen. Then again, it's been a while since he cleared so a trade with a minor piece going back could have happened anytime.

5 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Sometimes a team can't or won't claim a player because they're at or too close to the 50 contract limit. Once waivers are started they can't bypass the process with a trade so they'd have to wait until after if they needed to move a contract back to make it happen. Then again, it's been a while since he cleared so a trade with a minor piece going back could have happened anytime.

Agreed. For Kass' sake, I hope this is the case.

1 hour ago, Quinn12 said:

He cleared waivers.. No trade incoming lol

1 hour ago, Westcoasting said:

Brian McGratton is one, but there are other examples.

Some players have more value having cleared - for obvious reasons - a team can acquire a guy that is in the AHL, can use him there, and have him available to be recalled if they need him or when he's healthy.

Claiming a guy off waivers requires that you keep him on your NHL roster.**

Zack not being claimed off waivers doesn't mean he won't be traded - some team may pick him up via trade now that they have the option of keeping him in the AHL indefinitely.

**edit - unless you're the Toronto Maple Leafs, in which case you can claim a guy, let him rot in the press box for months, and then assign him to a phony "conditioning stint" having nothing to do with injury/health and everything to do with simply not utilizing the player.

For the record, lots of players are traded after clearing waivers, happens whenever a team wants to bolster their AHL squad, they need someone who is already down.

I'm guessing its not a trade. Thinking Montreal mandated zero tolerance for partying, he probably followed it well (he was reinstated) but decided to take a break from zero tolerance for a couple days over xmas and got busted. Just my speculation.

This is looking bad for the NHL, if a guy goes through their program but then doesn't even get the smallest chance with their club (or their affiliates) it makes the substance abuse program look really weak. Note that the NHL hasn't reported putting him back into the program (that may yet be reported), at the moment it is the program saying he is good to go and Montreal saying no he is not.

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

Seems to me Jussi Jokinen was waived, by Carolina I think? Or did he get picked up?? Then traded and has had a pretty good career...

edit; yup waived by Carolina, cleared, then traded.

27 minutes ago, Lost_Viking said:

For the record, lots of players are traded after clearing waivers, happens whenever a team wants to bolster their AHL squad, they need someone who is already down.

I'm guessing its not a trade. Thinking Montreal mandated zero tolerance for partying, he probably followed it well (he was reinstated) but decided to take a break from zero tolerance for a couple days over xmas and got busted. Just my speculation.

This is looking bad for the NHL, if a guy goes through their program but then doesn't even get the smallest chance with their club (or their affiliates) it makes the substance abuse program look really weak. Note that the NHL hasn't reported putting him back into the program (that may yet be reported), at the moment it is the program saying he is good to go and Montreal saying no he is not.

As long as Montreal pays him according to his contract they can do whatever they want. In this case he's cleared waivers so he can even be paid in minor league money.

Don't report - because you've been dealt and can't play for St. John's + can't divulge information because this is a deal that won't be approved/finalized until the trade gates reopen is most likely imo.   The speculation otherwise wouldn't preclude Therrien from commenting - he didn't say he won't divulge information or declines to comment -he specifically said he cannot

58 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Brian McGratton is one, but there are other examples.

Some players have more value having cleared - for obvious reasons - a team can acquire a guy that is in the AHL, can use him there, and have him available to be recalled if they need him or when he's healthy.

Claiming a guy off waivers requires that you keep him on your NHL roster.**

Zack not being claimed off waivers doesn't mean he won't be traded - some team may pick him up via trade now that they have the option of keeping him in the AHL indefinitely.

**edit - unless you're the Toronto Maple Leafs, in which case you can claim a guy, let him rot in the press box for months, and then assign him to a phony "conditioning stint" having nothing to do with injury/health and everything to do with simply not utilizing the player.

Jussi Jokinen was another. If I remember correctly Carolina got a 7th for him from Pittsburgh. Hope a trade is happening too for Kass's sake. 

2 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

I can remember a few. Todd Marchant for one...

Montreal may have to package something with Kass to get rid of the extra cap hit (800k when he's in the minors).

As a few people above me have noted, there are several examples of guys who have been traded after clearing waivers. Maybe that's what's happening here.

Perhaps that rumor about Simmonds going to Montreal is true and Kassian is a throw in for that trade. Who knows.

10 minutes ago, Nas19 said:

As a few people above me have noted, there are several examples of guys who have been traded after clearing waivers. Maybe that's what's happening here.

Perhaps that rumor about Simmonds going to Montreal is true and Kassian is a throw in for that trade. Who knows.

Huge deal for Montreal if true. Just imagine a line of Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Simmonds. Sheesh. 

Archived