The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian told by MTL not to report to the AHL

Kevin Biestra

4 hours ago, JV77 said:

Sharks and Oilers may have some interest per below

Mentioned SJ as a potential Kassian fit (Bob Boughner), but also wonder about EDM. Peter Chiarelii took a long look at him last year in BOS.

Why would you inject that train wreck into your room of youngsters that have already had enough problems in the NHL? 

50 minutes ago, AlphaHoneyBadger said:

Why would you inject that train wreck into your room of youngsters that have already had enough problems in the NHL? 

Kassian may have his own demons to deal with but that doesn't mean he is necessarily a bad teammate. 

2 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

OK does any one else find ithe &^@#ed how apparently there was no interest in kassian when benning was shopping him, but nowe they he has a known problem and hasn't played in 10 months every team is interested? 

Right.  Because every team is interested in Kassian.

21 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Maybe I am wrong, but I am sure it's happened more than once where a team was unable to just pick up a guy off waivers due to contracts or cap space, but was willing to trade one of their project players instead.

I'll try and find an example.

Big picture, I am mostly trying to say that just because he was told not to report, doesn't necessarily mean he had more problems.  I think people are a little too quick to write him off.

We did it a few years back, waiving SOB and then trading him for Parent, if I remember right.

3 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

OK does any one else find it strange how apparently there was no interest in kassian when benning was shopping him, but now they he has a known problem and hasn't played in 10 months every team is interested? 

I think the every team is interested is a stretch, but here's my spin on it.   Teams will be interested in a guy who does have potential who has just been through rehab...he's been "treated" and should/could be on the right path.  They know not to write people off because they've had substance abuse problems because that can be adjusted.  Doesn't mean they can't recover and go on to be successful.  But perhaps Montreal has seen something there that has them question that?  Or, they simply want to wipe the slate clean without him.

But, as a hockey player, teams would show interest...how it's up to Kass to either try to live up to that or throw it all away.  Some will be willing to take a chance on that.

I could be wrong about this but if Kass was traded after already going through waivers, his new team might be able to assign him directly to the AHL without him going through waivers again.  In effect, it would become a minor-league trade.  If that is the case, then there is less risk and more flexibility in dealing for him now.  A team could pick him up, assign him to the minors to get him in shape and bring his game around, then call him up if his play is good enough.  By contrast, a waiver claim would mean keeping him on the NHL roster for the rest of the season or giving him back to Montreal. 

6 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I think the every team is interested is a stretch, but here's my spin on it.   Teams will be interested in a guy who does have potential who has just been through rehab...he's been "treated" and should/could be on the right path. 

So a drug problem is like a cut that needs stitches? Send him to a doctor, doctor does his magic and *boom* he is fixed. Sounds very simple. I wonder why more people don't simply get "treated".

Looks like Edm fans are onboard for a Scrivens/Kassian trade.  They see Kass as low risk, high reward.

Guy hasn't played a hockey game since last spring, so I guess he would go down to their farm team to train.  Montreal wouldn't even consider doing that, so you have to wonder if there's more to this story.  Seems kind of fishy.

Time will tell.

I must be one sick bastard, because I'm absolutely loving every minute of this.

From the years of people blindly defending Kassian and ripping into anyone who felt otherwise. 

From the pages and pages of tears converted into posts after this waste of skates got traded. 

From all the Montreal fans who, like us had hope he would become the powerforward he was for some unknown reason expected to be. 

From all the people on here who are genuinely concerned about his addiction. Give me a break, he deserves every last bit of this torture. Poor hockey player developed a Coke habit from living ontop of the world for too long. So tragic.

F U Zack Kassian. I hope rot in obscurity.

3 hours ago, LaBamba said:

I must be one sick bastard, because I'm absolutely loving every minute of this.

From the years of people blindly defending Kassian and ripping into anyone who felt otherwise. 

From the pages and pages of tears converted into posts after this waste of skates got traded. 

From all the Montreal fans who, like us had hope he would become the powerforward he was for some unknown reason expected to be. 

From all the people on here who are genuinely concerned about his addiction. Give me a break, he deserves every last bit of this torture. Poor hockey player developed a Coke habit from living ontop of the world for too long. So tragic.

F U Zack Kassian. I hope rot in obscurity.

Lol tooliest post I ever did see 

Looks like you take some things way to much to heart. Get over yourself no one actually cares how you feel.

No one was blind in defending the kid they just know he has more to give. As for the trade we got a bad return on a perceived valuable commodity at the time yeah people were pissed. 

Many of us didn't see power forward in Kassian but a playmaker who could punch your face in if needed. 

I'm on my phone but if my sig is still working you will see my interpretation of what people thought they were getting in a 21 year old kid. 

As for feeling bad about his addiction I have yet to read any viable source that says he has an addiction of any kind. Just because someone has bad judgement and likes to party does not an addict make.

But the fact you get off on this is lol worthy. You sound like a sour old man who never got his shot at the big leagues because of a bumb knee you got from a scooter accident in highschool. So now you have some angst towards anyone who you feel doesn't deserve to be there. 

12 hours ago, butters said:

So a drug problem is like a cut that needs stitches? Send him to a doctor, doctor does his magic and *boom* he is fixed. Sounds very simple. I wonder why more people don't simply get "treated".

No. A drug problem is just that, A problem..Which is easy to hide until something happens (Kass car accident)..I used to have a problem with substance abuse and hid it pretty well until I started noticing how things around me were changing for the worse..almost lost my job, family started to dislike me and my health was deteriorating..wasn't when I got really sick when I realized how much I'm F'n up all the things I really need in life.

With the support of family and the guidance of 'doctors' I was able to turn things around and haven't looked back.

Bottom line, Everyone deserves a chance, Sometimes you just need a big slap in the face.

14 hours ago, butters said:

Sounds like you know exactly how such things work....

7 hours ago, surtur said:

Lol tooliest post I ever did see 

Looks like you take some things way to much to heart. Get over yourself no one actually cares how you feel.

No one was blind in defending the kid they just know he has more to give. As for the trade we got a bad return on a perceived valuable commodity at the time yeah people were pissed. 

Many of us didn't see power forward in Kassian but a playmaker who could punch your face in if needed. 

I'm on my phone but if my sig is still working you will see my interpretation of what people thought they were getting in a 21 year old kid. 

As for feeling bad about his addiction I have yet to read any viable source that says he has an addiction of any kind. Just because someone has bad judgement and likes to party does not an addict make.

But the fact you get off on this is lol worthy. You sound like a sour old man who never got his shot at the big leagues because of a bumb knee you got from a scooter accident in highschool. So now you have some angst towards anyone who you feel doesn't deserve to be there. 

A post like this only makes this situation that much sweeter. 

People also need to stop talking like he has this untapped potential waiting to be unleashed. He was drafted like 8 years ago. He has had 8 years to prepare his game for the NHL. Most players careers are half over at 25 and people act like it hasn't even started yet. That is the kind of blindness I talk about. 

Archived