The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] C Hodgson and N Guenin

Visp

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

To be fair the only person who whined was a Ex-GM who is teaching at UVic and is no longer in hockey as well. Hodgson is following in the steps of others. At least we got one decent season out of him. Yet to think we could have had Karlsson  but hindsight is 20/20.

Apparently,it was John Carlson of the Washington Capitals....even if Gillis had traded Hodgson for Carlson at that time,there still would have been a tremendous fuss made by the fans...

We could certainly use John Carlson now...that's the beauty of hindsight.

59 minutes ago, guntrix said:

He would be a good waiver pick-up as much as CDC loves to hate on him. 

Like Baer and Etem, he'd be a bit of a gamble but if he can recover even a semblance of his form with the Canucks, it would be a good one.

Theres quite a divide in the skating abilities of Baer/Etem and Cody Hodgson......Just to add,I've never seen a player who has had zero interest in playing in his own end, than Hodgson did as a Canuck.

5 hours ago, HC20.0 said:

Hodgson might be done in the NHL now. Kind of sad. So much skill, just couldn't translate. Reminds me of Sam Ganger. 

Yea I'm shocked with Sam Gagner I thought he was gonna be star ... And rally perhaps he was a bigger jr star because of patty Kane 

still i agree 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I watched the Nashville game last night, and Cody was playing minutes on their top line too.  He just looks too slow, and way too soft.  If he's not putting up points, he does nothing else to help his team.  It's that same syndrome so many talented higher draft picks suffer with: they don't (or refuse to) develop another part of their game, so when the scoring dries up, they can still help their team. 

Foot speed is definitely his problem - just too slow.  They just recalled Fiala to replace him - the speed is going to be something else.    

So much potential with great skill and sadly, wasted... Hopefully another team will give him a chance, although he needs to change his attitude, probably should brush off his dad and really work on becoming something; he does have the potential.

There is another point I'd like to make... I remember MG stating they put COHO in every situation possible to score in order to make his value go up as they had issues with his dad and were looking into trading possibilities, so perhaps COHO is not really all that as his value was inflated...

7 hours ago, Visp said:

It'll take years to evaluate which team won the trade! *Hodgson on waivers the same day Zack Kassian recalled three years on*

It may take "Canucksarmy" years to figure it out, but any halfwit can do this math.   The Canucks dealt Kassian for Prust.  Buffalo got nothing for Hodson and will be paying him and losing cap space for it for five more years.

Derp.

7 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

his foot speed did him in, the game has changed, and he didn't.

Ths story of Tom Sestito as well.

7 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Squarely on the shoulders of his agent and papa.  Bad advice.

It falls on Cody. He is a man and has been since draft day. You have to work hard and understand nothing is given to you, no matter how skilled you are. He could still likely contribute, but he needs a 180 on work ethic, attitude and entourage. 

2 minutes ago, AlphaHoneyBadger said:

It falls on Cody. He is a man and has been since draft day. You have to work hard and understand nothing is given to you, no matter how skilled you are. He could still likely contribute, but he needs a 180 on work ethic, attitude and entourage. 

He was an 18yr old kid that was being pumped up by his support people and feeding him bad advice.

Can we splice Coho's IQ(& reserved demeanour) with Kass's brawn? Like magically turning the staid, wire rimmed librarian into a wild, tattooed harlot?

Perhaps if we'd first 'properly' inked Cody & got him a monster truck?!

It's funny these dudes are polar-opposites, yet we invested similar hopes & expectations in both, equally. We're probably all guilty of luvin' our key prospects unconditionally. Then like tired parents of underachieving young adults, we move onto the next project, as they fly the nest.

In the end, seems both amounted to a pain in the neck(back?)..perhaps their only common trait.

Sorry, but the whole ballyhooed-fiasco strikes me now as rather amusing.

Adam Vingan in The Tennessean: 
http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nhl/predators/2016/01/13/predators-place-cody-hodgson-on-waivers/78734106/

WINNIPEG, Manitoba — The Predators placed forward Cody Hodgson on waivers Wednesday, theoretically ending his disappointing half-season tenure in Nashville.

"We're now past the halfway point of the season and we're not where we want to be," Predators general manager David Poile said, referring to the team's 19-17-7 record that has it barely clinging onto the final playoff spot in the Western Conference. "Because of that, it's time to make some changes, whether it's sitting a player out or taking a drastic measure to put (Hodgson) on waivers with the plan that if he's taken, that would be good for the player. If not, he will be going to (AHL) Milwaukee. ...  I think we gave him a good opportunity. That's for him to (decide) whether he agrees or not."

Hodgson, signed to a one-year, $1.05 million contract on the opening day of free agency, was expected to strengthen the Predators’ scoring depth, but failed to deliver in that regard. In 39 games, Hodgson scored three goals and eight points, recently enduring a three-game stretch as a healthy scratch.

One has to wonder what this development means for Hodgson’s NHL career. The former top-10 draft pick scored a career-high 20 goals in 72 games for the Sabres during the 2013-14 season, but has only nine total goals in 117 regular-season games since.

Buffalo bought out the remaining four years of his six-year contract last summer, freeing him to sign with Nashville on July 1.

"We signed him to enhance our (offense) and it didn't happen," Poile said. "You look for other areas that maybe a player can help you — checking or penalty killing or some other area. Really, I think we were pretty honest with Cody and told him that he had to produce offensively, and he hasn't. This is the move."

8 hours ago, guntrix said:

He would be a good waiver pick-up as much as CDC loves to hate on him. 

Like Baer and Etem, he'd be a bit of a gamble but if he can recover even a semblance of his form with the Canucks, it would be a good one.

k.

Still sheltered at 25 years of age, and still only 8 points in 39 games... The Predators rookies are playing harder minutes.

No, he's not  like Baer and Etem wadr.   Baetschi is doubling his production and just starting to get his footing.  Etem has yet to play more than 45 games in a season, and has attributes that go beyond produce-or-fail.

The irony is that AV had actually tailored ideal minutes - sheltered between two outstanding two way players in Higgins and Hansen, and playing behind two centers like Henrik Sedin and Ryan Kesler, with Malhotra in behind to eat all the other heavy minutes.  That was a dream opportunity for a young center.  Not good enough.

Months in - and it's an ice time controversy.

This is a prime example of be careful what you wish for.   Went to Buffalo, got the minutes he thought he was ready for, got exposed thoroughly, and was bought out.

People whining about coaches not gifting young players top 6 minutes and bringing them along methodically should take note.

Archived