The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks - Who is our next Core ?

kingofsurrey

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Canuck fans consistently rate their players too high.

Edler was a 3rd round 91 st overall draft choice.   That is all he is worth on the market.  His stock has dropped the last 2 years.

You just lost all credibility. Actually that may have happened when you created that username. Unless your trolling, then you gave me a good laugh thank you. 

I think that anyone is tradable as long as the trade can improve the team.  The only ones I wouldn't trade at this moment are the twins as they are the face of the franchise.  I think they have earned the right to retire as a Canuck

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Now match our next core with some other teams: Edmonton, Calgary, Colorado, Buffalo, etc and we don't have the elite skill those other teams do.  Just how in hell are we going to even compete for a Cup (let alone win one) with getting some elite pieces?  Our next core looks middle of the pack, which means we draft middle of the pack, which means we get more middle of the pack players, which means...you see the pattern forming?  We got the Twins top three.  We need some top three (five even) elite talent, or we are going to be stuck forever in the middle!

The next core will be sizeable larger than the one present. The new core will literally pummel other teams.

Yeah I definitely don't see how Benny can make so many trades at the trade deadline. The players that you mentioned will be on their way it only when the time is right. Not before not after.

also at some point during this transition we might reach a balance of youth and veterans which  is just perfect. I don't think it will be this year, but could b next year . Sedins , Hansen, Hamhuis and even Edler and Burr might still be here when that happens. That would mean we'd have about 10 rookies+sophomores plus our new core of HORVAT,TANEV, SUTTER as the leaders going forward.

3 hours ago, xereau said:

Edler for a 3rd rounder?  Are you high?

Xereau is correct about this. There is absolutely no question that Edler would be worth a 1st round pick and a prospect if he were traded. The teams doing the acquiring at the deadline are teams that will have low first round picks. Right now Edler is a better player than the expected value of a low first round pick--and any low first round pick is unlikely to contribute much for at least a couple of year, maybe more. (I won't cite the data again but the evidence on this is very clear.) And Edler's cap hit of $5 million is reasonable for a good top 4 D. He would be #2/#3 on most teams.  

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Now match our next core with some other teams: Edmonton, Calgary, Colorado, Buffalo, etc and we don't have the elite skill those other teams do.  Just how in hell are we going to even compete for a Cup (let alone win one) with getting some elite pieces?  Our next core looks middle of the pack, which means we draft middle of the pack, which means we get more middle of the pack players, which means...you see the pattern forming?  We got the Twins top three.  We need some top three (five even) elite talent, or we are going to be stuck forever in the middle!

Alf might be an alien but he understands the draft. Yes, it is possible to get a lot of high draft picks and still suck (see Edmonton). But virtually all Stanley Cup finalists are led by two or three high end talents and those guys usually (not always, but usually) come from high draft picks.

Since the Sedins were picked #2 and #3 in 1999, the Canucks have only had two "single-digit" picks: Horvat at #9 and Virtanen at #6. (And Bourdon and Hodgson were #10 overall picks.) It would be nice to get another high pick, and additional picks anywhere in the first three rounds would be nice.

You are the opposite of most people on CDC, you undervalue "our" players. 

Edler for 3rd round? He plays above 20 minutes/game and is a solid top 4 d-man. 

Vrbata for 2nd round? Did you see what Vermette cost last year? 1st round pick + Klas Dahlback (basically a younger Andrew Alberts). 

Burrows for 5th round pick? That's just disrespectful to Burrows. Waiving his NTC for a 5th round pick. Not what makes a franchise look attractive for FA's and personell. 

And on the otherhand: Why would anyone trade for Cracknell or Bartowski? do you believe any GM would say "let's go for a cup run... Let's get Bartowski"... 

And what players would play here next year? You traded 8 players, two of them are two of our top four defencemans. 

Our defence next year would be Ahl-level.

Hutton - Tanev

Biega - Sbisa

Subban - Weber 

Of course we could sign a or a couple of free agents, but who would we get without massivly overpaying? I don't think any player around the league think "hey, the Canucks look like a team ready to contend"

You overvalue our prospects, you expect everyone of them to become NHL'ers which is as unlikely as winning the lottery pick as a top 5 team. 

5 hours ago, You Mad Bro? said:

3 seasons until Bo has the C :)

Other teams that might have been thinking similar thoughts...

2004 Tampa Bay Lightning...  "Just a year or two until Andreychuk is out of here and some young kid like LeCavalier gets the C."

2006 Carolina Hurricanes...  "Jeez, Brind'Amour is an old fart that hasn't won anything..."

2006 Edmonton Oilers...  "Jason Smith is over 30, pass the torch already..."

2012 New Jersey Devils...  "When can we transition away from Martin Brodeur..."

1998 Washington Capitals...  "Dale Hunter...the guy looks like Robin Williams and is probably older than Robin Williams..."

5 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Edler was a 3rd round 91 st overall draft choice.   That is all he is worth on the market.  His stock has dropped the last 2 years.

Even Edler at his lowest point was worth far more than just a 3rd. Size, some measure of skill, solid two way game, plays every situation. You don't trade those kind of d-men for 3rd rounders.

6 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Dude Edler is a top 4 Dman on any team ranked 25 - 30th  in the league.

He has declined in play and production for 4 consecutive years now. If he was your car, you should have traded it in a few years ago.

You need to rest up a bit. 

And that is all Edler needs, he carries this team most of the time. If you haven't noticed that then you haven't been paying attention imo

6 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Dude Edler is a top 4 Dman on any team ranked 25 - 30th  in the league.

He has declined in play and production for 4 consecutive years now. If he was your car, you should have traded it in a few years ago.

Edler can still nab a 1st IMO if Andrej Sekera can get a 1st why not Edler.

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Mcdavid

Eichel

Bennett

Barkov

I like JBs job so far too, but it would be nice to add a guy (or two) of this level up front too.

Alf, why do you continue to equate high draft with elite players and winning a SC? It's not that long ago I gave you a list of low drafted elite players Datsyuk and Bure being only two examples. Not one of these players on your list has won a SC or look like it at present.

Neither has Stamkos, Nash, Tavares, Ovechkin, Johnson, Kovalchuk, DiPietro. I haven't even bothered to put in all the Oilers 1sts.

11 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Edler can still nab a 1st IMO if Andrej Sekera can get a 1st why not Edler.

I agree but the trouble is it just knocks us one more D back in our build up. I wouldn't do anything with Edler until I saw how Tryamkin, Pedan and maybe Sautner were shaping out.

There is FA but what are the chances of getting someone as good as Edler on FA. 20-25 mins a night carrying the likes of Bart and Weber, not to mention CT who just refuses to finish a check or hit an opponent. That is some load and he never complains.

Pretty good for a $5m cap hit.

7 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Not for d-men

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

not to mention CT who just refuses to finish a check or hit an opponent.

Racking my brains ..... who the hell is CT?

Can't be Chris Tanev, who is 3rd on the team in hits, and 1st on blocked shots

as an aside, I see we have quietly re-aquired Frank Corrado -  :rolleyes:  he is listed in the "in the system" page:

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/roster.htm?type=prospect

but wearing Etem's number ... that'll be confusing if he gets called up  :o

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

as an aside, I see we have quietly re-aquired Frank Corrado -  :rolleyes:  he is listed in the "in the system" page:

I stand correct Googlie, with regard to stats anyway. 

However my eyes certainly don't see it that way. I have often been confused as to what constitutes a hit and have even heard the TSN home commentators say as much during a game.

My idea of a hit is normally to be seen when watching Boston or LA games.:P

Regarding Frankie, it sounds like someones "wishful thinking"

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Where are you getting your stats because according to NHL.com Chris Tanev only has 16 hits (0.4 per game) over the season.  He does lead in blocked shots though with 111.

Archived