The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Pitt interested in Hammer

aliboy

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Fair discussion.  Depends again on who the "big" acquisitions are. Biega is a natural right hander. Currently the only regular rotation guy besides Tanev.  He's also steadier than Bart.

Bart offers more speed, some (modest) upside and sandpaper. But also more mistakes (in part when he plays on his off side) and rotational issues. 

I personally prefer Biega if its one or the other. Unless again the acquisitions are righties.

Like I said, I'd be fine with either as our 7th. But yup, a lot will depend on what other moves we make. 

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It has nothing to do with being a teenager. It has to do with the direction this team is going and where Edler fits in. His value is still high now and he's almost 30 years old.

He won't be part of a cup contending team, so why would we hold onto him until his value is zero?

Makes zero sense, especially when there will likely be D-men out there this summer that can replace his role on the short term.

Sedins are several years older and there is no chance this team is a Cup contender before they're done, should we trade them too? 

If things go as planned this team could be a contender by the time Edler is as old as the Sedins are right now. 

Which Edler's replacement Dman is going to sign here in the summer and how do you know he's coming here? Has this Dman already said he wants to sign here? Has JB said so? Lets get out of fantasyland and stop thinking all these great UFAs are going to sign here. 

56 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Not getting a first rounder fo Hamhuis.  Lucky to get a 2nd round pick or 2nd prospect..

Aging , and injured,. or just coming off injury, may be conditional. We have had his best years, and even his healthy play this year was riddled with mistakes,.  can not see re-signing him.  

Try for a second rounder, be happy with a third round, maybe be bold again and draft from overseas.  Big Word here is ...  CAPSPACE.

OK we get it. You don't like Hammer.He is not as bad as you think. He has never been a big point producer just a great all round Dman.

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Totally agree. Except I'd move him in a heartbeat for a younger, right side Hamonic/Gudbranson/Bowey etc. 

I'd keep Edler over Hamonic. We need more offense from our D not less. 

No one's trading Gudbranson. I'm kinda confused as to why his name keeps coming up on CDC. No way Tallon trades away a 6'5 220 lbs top 4 Dman who turned 24 last week. Why would he? 

Bowey? I don't think Caps do that, They are already very deep on  D. They've been missing Carlsson and Orpik to LTIR and have still been dominating the League. I don't think they're in any need of immediate D help. But yea, obviously you do that in a heartbeat.

The kids gonna be a do it all top pair Dman. Those don't get traded. You polish them, shine them and keep them in your inside pocket. 

59 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

great post, literally put a smile on my face and the beauty of it is it's the truth.

+2 if I could.

Haha I'm glad! I was just thinking of the Despres for Lovejoy trade. I still don't know what Rutherford was smoking on that one. 

6 hours ago, stawns said:

Bowey all day long.  I watched him many times last season and he is so far above everyone else in his age range it wasn't even a contest most nights.  He is a unique talent, who brings a skillset that not many dmen have.

Which is why Washington wants to dump him for 2 blissful months of Hammertime. 

13 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I'd keep Edler over Hamonic. We need more offense from our D not less. 

No one's trading Gudbranson. I'm kinda confused as to why his name keeps coming up on CDC. No way Tallon trades away a 6'5 220 lbs top 4 Dman who turned 24 last week. Why would he? 

Bowey? I don't think Caps do that, They are already very deep on  D. They've been missing Carlsson and Orpik to LTIR and have still been dominating the League. I don't think they're in any need of immediate D help. But yea, obviously you do that in a heartbeat.

The kids gonna be a do it all top pair Dman. Those don't get traded. You polish them, shine them and keep them in your inside pocket. 

Hamonic in a heart beat. You want more offense? Trade for Hamonic and sign either Goligoski or Yandle. That's more offense than 30 year old Edler and offensively useless Tanev will get you. 

Probably right in that they probably keep Gudbranson and move Petrovic. Either way Florida has three, right side top 4 D and they're losing 2 veteran left D in Mitchell and Campbell that they need to replace...

Caps probably don't need Edler (short of further D injuries), but they are very much in win now mode. I doubt we have the pieces either but Bowey would certainly be a nice get. 

42 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Hamonic in a heart beat. You want more offense? Trade for Hamonic and sign either Goligoski or Yandle. That's more offense than 30 year old Edler and offensively useless Tanev will get you. 

Probably right in that they probably keep Gudbranson and move Petrovic. Either way Florida has three, right side top 4 D and they're losing 2 veteran left D in Mitchell and Campbell that they need to replace...

Caps probably don't need Edler (short of further D injuries), but they are very much in win now mode. I doubt we have the pieces either but Bowey would certainly be a nice get. 

ESPN’s Craig Custance recently conducted a poll of several top NHL player agents to determine which teams are on their clients’ no-trade lists. Unsurprisingly, four of the top five were Canadian teams.

http://spectorshockey.net/the-real-reason-nhl-players-avoid-canadian-teams/

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Cole+players+prefer+Anywhere+Canada/10824297/story.html

Yeah, I don't think either Yandle or Goligoski sign with the Canucks. Why would they, we're a rebuilding team in Vancouver Canada. As much as we love Vancouver and Canada it's not a positive when pursuing UFA NHL players. Canadian teams are on top of the list of NTCs in the NHL. Players don't wanna come to Canada if they have a better choice. 

I think there's a good chance Yandle goes back to PHX just like Michalek and Vermette did. Goligoski could re sign in DAL, he's been there what 5 or 6 years. Or he could go to Florida. He'll have teams lining up.

This is why you don't trade Edler, he's not easily replaceable. But yeah I get what you're saying you trade him IF he waives his NTC and you can upgrade, you always do that with every player. 

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

OK we get it. You don't like Hammer.He is not as bad as you think. He has never been a big point producer just a great all round Dman.

No , think his game was great until he took that serious abdominal injury trying to stop Lucic.. Just i think his game has been diminished since then..  And now after fracturing his jaw and skull to the extent he has, i would think retirement is high on his list. 

9 hours ago, BaerOxHitman said:

You know this how? How do you know JB isn't working the phones as we speak? I'm sure there a plenty of teams willing to take on Hamhuis. Chicago probably isn't one of them. But you never know.

I've noticed from your other posts that you like to over value our assets. An aging rental doesn't hold a lot of value, if we could get a couple of picks for him that would be great. But it's not like there's a lineup of GMs outside Rogers arena trying to get the highest bid on him.

Don't feed the trolls...

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

No , think his game was great until he took that serious abdominal injury trying to stop Lucic.. Just i think his game has been diminished since then..  And now after fracturing his jaw and skull to the extent he has, i would think retirement is high on his list. 

Fracturing his skull? Well the last time I seen him he was skating with a cage and he was saying he feels fine. You appear to be the ONLY guy on this thread who thinks Hammer is washed up.

2 hours ago, HC20.0 said:

Don't under estimate Rutherford's stupidity. We might get Pouliot for Hammer hahaha.

And Benning wakes up every day to big pimpin on his alarm clock. You just never know when he's gonna trade a Jensen for Etem. 

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

http://spectorshockey.net/the-real-reason-nhl-players-avoid-canadian-teams/

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Cole+players+prefer+Anywhere+Canada/10824297/story.html

Yeah, I don't think either Yandle or Goligoski sign with the Canucks. Why would they, we're a rebuilding team in Vancouver Canada. As much as we love Vancouver and Canada it's not a positive when pursuing UFA NHL players. Canadian teams are on top of the list of NTCs in the NHL. Players don't wanna come to Canada if they have a better choice. 

I think there's a good chance Yandle goes back to PHX just like Michalek and Vermette did. Goligoski could re sign in DAL, he's been there what 5 or 6 years. Or he could go to Florida. He'll have teams lining up.

This is why you don't trade Edler, he's not easily replaceable. But yeah I get what you're saying you trade him IF he waives his NTC and you can upgrade, you always do that with every player. 

One, you're being presumptive that Yandle and Goligoski are those players. There are also players that relish paying in Canada. 

Two, Dallas will be likely retaining one of Demers or Goligoski, not both. My money is on Demers.

Three, because we can afford to overpay them. 

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

Which is why Washington wants to dump him for 2 blissful months of Hammertime. 

Washington has never had a clearer path to make it out of the east Not sure if our vets have the draw to attract top prospects, if you are management there you are looking to add those last complimentary pieces to get you over the hump and cost is not always a barrier when it means winning a cup.

12 minutes ago, J.R. said:

One, you're being presumptive that Yandle and Goligoski are those players. There are also players that relish paying in Canada. 

Two, Dallas will be likely retaining one of Demers or Goligoski, not both. My money is on Demers.

Three, because we can afford to overpay them. 

Not presumptive, I'm realistic. History is on my side and NHL player agents confirm my point. 

We might be able to overpay a bit but a player can save that much in taxes by playing in Texas or Florida. 

If they sign here good, I doubt it's happening. I'll keep Edler for now. 

You don't trade away Edler thinking we'll sign so and so in the summer when there is ZERO evicence so and so want to sign here. 

One bird in hand is better than two in the bush. 

42 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Fracturing his skull? Well the last time I seen him he was skating with a cage and he was saying he feels fine. You appear to be the ONLY guy on this thread who thinks Hammer is washed up.

Diminished play is not saying washed up. Hammer's game has gone down hill over the past 2 years. Injuries and age do that. For me it has more to do with age which means the match is no longer there with a younger time line. Edler is 1LD and Hutton can be 2LD with Hammer gone. It is all about what he can bring back if traded. That goes for any player including Edler.  

Archived