The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

I don't think Grans should be gifted a spot because of the trade. Who cares now..own your role, not sure what his is though? Playmaker? checker? set up guy? If he's still green then send him down for Green to coach.

He'd clear waivers.

34 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I don't think Grans should be gifted a spot because of the trade. Who cares now..own your role, not sure what his is though? Playmaker? checker? set up guy? If he's still green then send him down for Green to coach.

He'd clear waivers.

Overly negative, and unnecessarily so. Granlund just got a two-year one-way deal. Management is clearly expecting him to carve out a spot. He was given term and guaranteed money. He's way past the AHL level, as he's been a point per game guy down there. He would surely get claimed, and the team claiming him would get an extra year of service.

Granlund needs to work on his face-offs if he's at centre. Otherwise, his game is a versatile two-way forward who can step up the line up in case of injuries, who can be used on both the PP and PK. 

• Upvote 3

I really think Granlund is being utilized wrongly by Desjardins. I'm not saying Desjardins sucks, or doesn't know how to use his players. Maybe it was a communication problem from management to Desjardins about the type of player Granlund is. It could be management's fault, maybe they didn't scout him enough and aren't 100% sure of what Granlund's game is all about. I really don't know anything about this since I don't get information about the Canucks from the management/coaching staff. I do know that Granlund is a superbly smart playmaker that makes the right decisions with the puck and uses his hockey sense more than anything else to be an effective hockey player. He isn't primarily a checker or a shooter. He's not the playmaker to make a sweet saucer pass full speed to a streaking winger. Instead, he's a head-up, play reading passer that sees plays open up. 

Desjardins gave Henrik Sedin and then Sutter (when Sutter got hurt, McCann) the nice offensive zone starts, and then Granlund and Horvat the defensive zone starts. So top 2 Cs had offensive opportunities, bottom 2 Cs had defensive chores. I guess he had no other choice, either McCann or Granlund, or have Henrik Sedin take defensive zone starts with Horvat, but then we'd have no scoring. So yeah, I guess he had no choice. 

This year, I hope Desjardins relies on Horvat and Sutter to take defensive zone draws and lets Granlund and Henrik work offensively. Not only to win games, but what do we have in Granlund? His bread and butter is offence and playmaking, well let's see what he's to be a NHLer.

10 minutes ago, Plum said:

I really think Granlund is being utilized wrongly by Desjardins. I'm not saying Desjardins sucks, or doesn't know how to use his players. Maybe it was a communication problem from management to Desjardins about the type of player Granlund is. It could be management's fault, maybe they didn't scout him enough and aren't 100% sure of what Granlund's game is all about. I really don't know anything about this since I don't get information about the Canucks from the management/coaching staff. I do know that Granlund is a superbly smart playmaker that makes the right decisions with the puck and uses his hockey sense more than anything else to be an effective hockey player. He isn't primarily a checker or a shooter. He's not the playmaker to make a sweet saucer pass full speed to a streaking winger. Instead, he's a head-up, play reading passer that sees plays open up. 

Desjardins gave Henrik Sedin and then Sutter (when Sutter got hurt, McCann) the nice offensive zone starts, and then Granlund and Horvat the defensive zone starts. So top 2 Cs had offensive opportunities, bottom 2 Cs had defensive chores. I guess he had no other choice, either McCann or Granlund, or have Henrik Sedin take defensive zone starts with Horvat, but then we'd have no scoring. So yeah, I guess he had no choice. 

This year, I hope Desjardins relies on Horvat and Sutter to take defensive zone draws and lets Granlund and Henrik work offensively. Not only to win games, but what do we have in Granlund? His bread and butter is offence and playmaking, well let's see what he's to be a NHLer.

Well, Granlund has that potential and WD knows it. But he has to learn the d-side of the game, too. He get that 4th-line treatment to learn how to win face-offs and all the rest that complete players do. There is no room for offensive players only with the Canucks anymore, thats why Vrbata was demoted and McCann traded. A team harder to play against means every player plays solid in all zones of the game.

But in preseason it would like to see some combinations of Baertschi-Granlund-Sutter/Roedin. This has second line potential and Horvat can develop in a more defensive role with Burrows/Etem-Horvat-Hansen/Virtanen.

7 hours ago, the harry said:

Well, Granlund has that potential and WD knows it. But he has to learn the d-side of the game, too. He get that 4th-line treatment to learn how to win face-offs and all the rest that complete players do. There is no room for offensive players only with the Canucks anymore, thats why Vrbata was demoted and McCann traded. A team harder to play against means every player plays solid in all zones of the game.

But in preseason it would like to see some combinations of Baertschi-Granlund-Sutter/Roedin. This has second line potential and Horvat can develop in a more defensive role with Burrows/Etem-Horvat-Hansen/Virtanen.

McCann was lauded for his defensive play coming out of junior....

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is Granny any good as a winger? I keep seeing proposals with Gaunce as 4C and Granlund as 4LW. I don't personally remember seeing him on the wing on either the Canucks or the Flames, though I know he played it. He said he's more comfortable at center. 

8 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

Is Granny any good as a winger? I keep seeing proposals with Gaunce as 4C and Granlund as 4LW. I don't personally remember seeing him on the wing on either the Canucks or the Flames, though I know he played it. He said he's more comfortable at center. 

Treliving's take on Granlund at wing: 

I think he's going to be playing with Baertschi next year on an offensive line - WD had them together as from March (save for injuries).  I know the popular opinion is to have Baer with Horvat but I think WD was serious when he implied that he's not a fit for Horvat. 

WD sees Granlund as a skilled player and never played him with Dorsett or Gaunce - so I don't think it's combinations they are interested in.  When he was acquired he said he preferred playing with skilled players and that playing with 4th liners was harder because it forced him to change his game.   It's Horvat that finished the year between Etem and Dorsett - Horvat got looks with Burrows, Virtanen and Gaunce too.  They kind of fit the definition of more defensive wingers that WD said are better for Horvat.

I hope Granlund improved his face-offs and worked on his shot.  They need a sniper on the other side though - someone that can finish.  It's likely between Rodin or Virtanen maybe even Burrows.  WD did say his look was Granlund with Virtanen (but that's when he thought Baer would play higher in the lineup - he was talking of Baertschi having bigger/heavier Ds onto him next season).

I guess all this falls apart if Granlund gets outplayed by Gaunce for C4 (but Gaunce could also outplay Etem for LW3).  Then it's probably the more traditional shutdown line as Gaunce doesn't see himself as an offensive player.  Granlund did say he is not afraid of the competition (he wants a top-9 spot but I don't think he'll be unhappy on an offensive 4th with Baertschi) and that he's not going to let Benning down.  He trains with his brother and it's heavy work - the Wild had his training video up a couple years back.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

We have two gritty C's in Sutter & Bo.  Really, the way Hank handles the cycle game could be considered the epitome of grit? (But that's different than a gritty checking game. I  do understand the point.)

Do we really need Granlund to be another? The coach and management espouse a 4 line game.  Willie can deploy 4th line minutes and still send Granlund over the boards with scoring wingers, play him to his strengths. And even then, one reason we made the trade is Granlund was faster & more polished than Shink. The second was a lot of that polish was in fact two way play, in spite of his size.  Long term he looks to me like a good middle 6 C who can also score, just won't dominate physically.

47 minutes ago, wshdrvvn said:

i think without any additions to the forwards, the canucks are going to have to make a line up that is not a traditional top 6 & bottom 6.  its more like a top 3 and bottom 9.

Sedin-Sedin-Erikson

Baertschi-Horvat-Rodin

Burrows-Sutter-Hansen

Etem-Gaunce-Dorsett

Grenier

Second line is pretty weak but is offensively minded.  Great checking 3rd liner and grinding 4th line that can provided a bit of offense.

2 hours ago, bleedblue2017 said:

Granlund looked pretty good, he just needs a real chance to prove his worth. He is quick and shifty, I think he could be one of those sleeper players that goes from zero to hero, he has the smarts and skill and the right attitude, here is hoping.

Really hoping he can get his PP acumen back.  That could be a real bonus for the team.

On 5/30/2016 at 10:46 AM, shayster007 said:

The final thing that excites me about Granny is 'the Benning factor'.

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!  "The Benning Factor" I believe, will be synonymous with something FAR different than what you've linked it with here.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

Granlund isn't your prototypical 4th line centre as discussed so how about this line up

sedin- sedin - hansen

Baertchi -horvat -Eriksson

Etem - Granlund - Sutter

Burrows - gaunce - dorsett

Granlund and Etem had a bit of chemistry. Granlund and Sutter would take faceoffs on their good sides. gets him on the 3rd line with some talent and needed size.

4th is still a decent shutdown, physical line.

On August 26, 2016 at 2:29 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

On pace for 10 goals each of the last two seasons.

If he has only 5 goals by Dec send him down.

If he's on the 4th line or in and out of the press box, it's not that bad.

That being said, if someone looks as though they could outplay him in the same role, then yeah, waive him.

I'm patiently awaiting watching my boy this season!

On 8/25/2016 at 2:49 PM, nuck-lifer said:

Granlund isn't your prototypical 4th line centre as discussed so how about this line up

sedin- sedin - hansen

Baertchi -horvat -Eriksson

Etem - Granlund - Sutter

Burrows - gaunce - dorsett

Granlund and Etem had a bit of chemistry. Granlund and Sutter would take faceoffs on their good sides. gets him on the 3rd line with some talent and needed size.

4th is still a decent shutdown, physical line.

That's an interesting idea. I'd rather see Hansen on the third line than first but I haven't seen enough Sutter to be sure if the chemistry will be their lower down the lines. I like that this configuration lets us keep Gaunce up, but unless our bottom six steps up immensely we'll still be relying on our top two to provide most of the scoring. 

I love a underdog and expressed my fondness of Granlund early in this thread. Barring a trade, I wouldn't mind seeing Granlund on the 3rd line. 

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Baer-Horvat-Sutter

Etem-Granlund-Hansen

Burrows-Gaunce-Dorsett

Rodin starts on ir

Pedan playing 7th man and D fill

This way we have a solid second line with 2 wingers who win faceoffs. Sutter plays shooter, which he did well when playing with the twins. I understand that Bo and Baer are not the Twins, but both can pass the puck and will benfit form having a shooter. Overall, hard working line with some talent and scoring ability and also sound defensively. Can be played in imporant draw situations having both a LH and RH C on the line. 

The 3rd line has 2 speedy wings that can forcheck while giving Gran space to let his natural playmaking ability take over. 

I also believe Gaunce looked ready for the big leagues and would love him on the team. 

Edited by shayster007
  • Upvote 1