The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks interested in signing NCAA goalie Alex Lyon

2 hours ago, JohnnyCanuck7 said:

I'm fine with that

you shouldn't be. 
this kid's confidence is incredible. Truly one of, if not THE premier goaltending prospects in the world.

I fear we'll be trading him for a 1C or 1D, but that certainly won't be this year, that's just insane. Maybe 2-3 years from now if we have no other options. He's the closest thing we have to an actual franchise player, outside of Bo Horvat.

I know there is a lot of concern for the Canucks having too many goalies in the system and this being a prohibitive factor to signing young goalies but on the other hand, young goalies and their agents are certainly aware that the Canucks have had a very good track record in developing these players for the NHL.

report comes out saying canucks are 1 out of 15 teams interested to signing NCAA goalie.

2 pages of bitching and whining of what they think GMJB will do in the future.

wow have CDC gone down the crapper. So we've leveled up from bitching about past actions to future ones now.

alright let's get started, HOW DAREZ MANAGEMENT TRADE AWAY THAT 2036 2ND ROUND PICKZ!

Goaltending is the least of Vancouver's problems. Lyon will be looking for a spot on an NHL roster and that place isn't Vancouver. Not now, not next year and probably not when Demko signs either. Lyon will choose what he perceives to be the shortest route to a starting position. He is also from Minnesota and since Dubnyk has returned to his merely average level of play, Lyon may be aiming to play for the Wild.

Lol here we go again with this whole "Demko might not sign with the Canucks". It's based off absolutely nothing, it was ridiculous reading the $&!# people spew out on hfboards that he might not sign here because apparently there would be better places out there for him (the goalie-graveyard that is Edmonton, lol). Again, Demko not signing here is based off absolutely NOTHING, and i 100% expect him to sign with us. No reason for him to not do it.

9 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Free asset. You can always move this guy down the road. Or Demko. Or keep them both with one being a back up to the other if the other flops.

Absolutely!  Sign the guy.  Then trade Demko in the summer at this draft for a 1st rounder, and select another D.  

Demko will play for Vancouver ,as the Canucks are a goalie factory.

no need to waste a contract  signing space right now .let's not be too hasty here 

I call bs on rumours here right now I suspect management is still regrouping from the TDL.

I'm pretty sure Demko is our only goalie prospect.  Cannata is a decent minor league goalie but I would not call him a prospect anymore.  Would not mind the Canucks adding FA goalies like this at all.  Not great that it eats up a contract but College goalies but might be better than using a pick.

21 hours ago, Lui's Knob said:

If Canucks somehow deal demko in the offseason....

If we are able to sign both Demko and Lyon,.  How would that look to Lou Lamorillo in Toronto if he had the 1st overall from the Lottery.

Lamorillo has historically built his Teams from the crease out.. Neither Demko or Lyon have to BE starters next year, but given their potential, its possible EITHER would raise an eyebrow if offered to Toronto at the Draft Table.

Just my opinion,. But id let Thatcher Demko go for Austin Mathews (and possibly add to that if needed).

22 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

If we are able to sign both Demko and Lyon,.  How would that look to Lou Lamorillo in Toronto if he had the 1st overall from the Lottery.

Lamorillo has historically built his Teams from the crease out.. Neither Demko or Lyon have to BE starters next year, but given their potential, its possible EITHER would raise an eyebrow if offered to Toronto at the Draft Table.

Just my opinion,. But id let Thatcher Demko go for Austin Mathews (and possibly add to that if needed).

Possibly? Keep in minds all teams need a first line centre. And Toronto has been missing one since Sundin. We would have to add Horvat and maybe even Edler for them to consider the deal. And a 2nd. Just to sweeten the pot. 

37 minutes ago, 87Crosby said:

Possibly? Keep in minds all teams need a first line centre. And Toronto has been missing one since Sundin. We would have to add Horvat and maybe even Edler for them to consider the deal. And a 2nd. Just to sweeten the pot. 

I think Toronto is missing every position at the moment..  But as the Leafs have learned, good goaltenders are harder to come by than centermen..   I kinda think a Demko or Lyon and our 1st pick would help Lou build his new team nicely...

even that might be a bit too much.

41 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I think Toronto is missing every position at the moment..  But as the Leafs have learned, good goaltenders are harder to come by than centermen..   I kinda think a Demko or Lyon and our 1st pick would help Lou build his new team nicely...

even that might be a bit too much.

What would we have gotten for Cory Schneider before he even played in the NHL? Nothing. 
Why on earth would we trade Thatcher having not even seen him at the pro level?

He very well could be a fitting franchise goaltender for the Leafs going forward... but why not for us instead?

Archived